• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drug tests start for pub patrons

erosion

Bluelight Crew
Scores of pub-goers in Bicester were tested for traces of illegal drugs during a police operation aimed at tackling violent street crime.

Police used the force's new drugs itemiser - which scans people for traces of banned substances - at the Litten Tree pub.

It was the first time the new technology, which detects traces of drugs from heroin to cannabis, had been used in the town.

Police officers tested 150 revellers as they arrived at the pub in Sheep Street between 10.30pm and midnight on Friday.

The pub managers barred anyone refusing to co-operate with the test from entering.

Det Sgt Steve Duffy, of Banbury CID, said two people tested positive and were searched but not found to be in possession of drugs.
advertisement

The pair were then banned from entering the pub, but not arrested.

Mr Duffy said: "It went very well. We gained the full co-operation of the management and the customers.

"Everyone was very supportive and compliant.

"We swab people's hands and then that swab is placed into the equipment and it gives a reading of the level of drug residue.
'It gives us an indication of drug activity and where it's taking place. It is part of a wider initiative to reduce violent crime'
Det Sgt Steve Duffy

"If it's above the background level then we use the equipment to give us the power to search - it gives us reasonable suspicion."

Mr Duffy explained the machine also picked up tiny traces of drugs that innocent people could get from handling contaminated bank notes.

But he said officers only searched those showing a more substantial level of drug residue.

He said: "The public were very supportive. Many people were saying they wanted to be tested.

"Bicester has no bigger problem than the rest of the country but we are never complacent.

"It gives us an indication of drug activity and where it's taking place. It is part of a wider initiative to reduce violent crime.

"We associate binge drinking and illegal substances as being one of the causes of spontaneous unprovoked street crime."

The drug itemiser was also used in Witney and Banbury two weeks ago. About 260 revellers were tested, with one person arrested on suspicion of possessing class A and C drugs. Two others also tested positive.

Drug scanner checks public

Oxford Mail
September 20, 2007

Link

Wow. 8o

Glad to hear this didn't happen in the US.

The UK always has been further along on the facist train than the states, depite what popular belief inpired by the media. On the other hand the US is very secretive, and indeed the "yet" could be post-applicable.

God i hope this never fucking happens in canada. I doubt it will though because we are somewhat lax on drugs and you get a hell of alot lighter sentence for possessing drugs and trafficking them here then in most parts of the US. So it wouldnt be worth it really.

Im not up on UK drug laws so i can't comment on those. But what a goddamn invasion of privacy if there ever was one.

while i disagree in general with the whole principle, what i don't understand is why the pair that were tested positive to having residue, were searched, nothing was found and yet they still weren't let in?! get fucked... i'd never get let into a pub ever again if that was the case.

I fail to see the connection between a pub and street crime... you're just adding to street violence by letting them get totally hammered...

And why would anyone that knows they have taken drugs agree to the test???

I don't have a problem with this, nobody was searched against their will.
Its private property, if the owner requires crazy entry conditions take your business elsewhere.

that pub owner is a total herb and wouldn't get any kind of business over here. at most bars where i live every third person is coked up... isn't it like that everywhere?

garuda said:
Its private property, if the owner requires crazy entry conditions take your business elsewhere.

Ya and you can bet he will lose a lot more business than he gains.

garuda said:

You're right, he could test his patrons because it's his private property.

But, he's using public officers to perform the testing. I don't agree with that.

It would make more sense if the level of 'legal drugs' were tested for.

i.e. if they had more than a certain amount of alcohol in their blood they would not be admitted, or wouldn't be served any alcohol. This would probably help reduce the amount of violence more than any other measure.

But of course it would be totally unworkable, and not in the interests of the management. The 'offenders' would just get annoyed, go next door to a pub where there was no testing, and drink even more as they complained about the fascist state. Then go out and kick the shit out of someone. And the pub loses money. Bad idea. Let's pick on the violent E and pot users :\

E

P.S. only three out of 260!! Better not come to Scotland =D

not_broken_420 said:
many people "wanted to be tested"? right. this is the most ridiculous thing....8)

Not necessarily. There are still a lot of people who do not use substances other than alcohol and tobacco. Some of these people are particularly proud of this and are arrogantly disapproving of "druggies".

These are the kind of people who will step up to the line to proudly show that they are clean (i.e. only alcohol and tobacco in their bloodstreams).

This is what a diverse culture is. Except there is not really a two-way tolerance to be found in quite a few alcohol/tobacco users :\ . (Ergo they don't even want us in their pubs 8o )

E

People can have some pretty fuked up attitudes about drugs. I rmember this one time I was asked to leave a convenience store for asking if they sold rolling papers. They totally started flipping out, saying they don't service junkies and shit, wouldn't even let me pay for the beer I they had already rang up for me.

clamjuice said:
I fail to see the connection between a pub and street crime... you're just adding to street violence by letting them get totally hammered...

And why would anyone that knows they have taken drugs agree to the test???

wow, good post (you said exactly everything i was thinking)