• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drug tests start for pub patrons

The_Idler said:
ugh, can you imagine the clientèle of the king billy or racehorse or something =/

I could imagine them hiding round the corner on the way to the garden... they'd have to open up an on site station for all the arrests! lol

lol yeah, i dont think wed have to worry too much though, theres only 6 coppers on patrol in town, on fri/sat nights anyway -_-

Oxford Mail said:
...Police officers tested 150 revellers as they arrived at the pub in Sheep Street between 10.30pm and midnight on Friday...
Yet another fitting irony...

You better watch out
There may be dogs about
I have been over to Jordan and I have seen
Things are not what they seem

andybounce said:
they should test the coppers every time they turn up for wk

*cynical grin* (<--- there's literally "no emoticon to explain" that one ;) )

.... AMEN!! Exactly what I was thinking... good call :)

Would be interesting to see how the spin doctors "manage" media coverage of a nation that's just fired two thirds of their police force ;)

I would problably get arrested before they could test me... Nothing like a little civil disobediance...

This is crazy. glad nothing like this happened to me when I was in the UK. I would have thrown a fit if I was denied entry to a bar because I have traces of cannabis (or any drug) in me.

MyDoorsAreOpen said:
Yep, this is my worry too. Need a loan? Need a driver's license? Want to apply for membership in our club? Want to enter this museum? Submitting a claim to our health insurance company? Want a visa to travel to our country? Put your finger on this scanner. You damn well better test negative.

What will happen when these cheap scans become a routine part of routine traffic stops?
Or border crossings?
I read last year that a team of Japanese scientists is well on the way to developing a highly accurate electronic nose, which can detect remarkably tiny amounts of drug residues in/on someone, with the wave of a wand like a metal detector. Expect drug prices to absolutely skyrocket, and whole countries to more or less dry up, when these become affordable and commonplace at border crossings.:!

THEY HAVE! IN THE UK ANYWAY, I WATCHED ON TV AND INSTEAD OF TAKING SWABS FROM HANDS THEY TOOK SWABS FROM THE STEERING WHEEL AND QUITE A LOT CAME UP POSOTIVE BUT NO ONE WAS CHARGED AS THEY COULD PROVE THEY WERE DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE.

^
Settle down. Please don't use all caps next time. Also, you could have just quoted what you wanted to address, you didn't have to enlarge it.

Perhaps some people should carry a fine mister of water and small amounts of THC, cocaine, MDMA, and heroin. Bust it out and spray common things like dornobs, glasses and silverware, in bars, restaurants, etc. Then everyone would have it on their hands, and no one would be guilty.

mulberryman said:
Perhaps some people should carry a fine mister of water and small amounts of THC, cocaine, MDMA, and heroin. Bust it out and spray common things like dornobs, glasses and silverware, in bars, restaurants, etc. Then everyone would have it on their hands, and no one would be guilty.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

That would be so fucking funny lol. =D

Lol!

mulberryman said:

Ok, it's the same as the last reply, but.. hahahahahahah! That is a f'n _excellent_ idea... *files away mentally for WHEN this starts happening in australia* ;)

=D

phactor said:
This is crazy. glad nothing like this happened to me when I was in the UK. I would have thrown a fit if I was denied entry to a bar because I have traces of cannabis (or any drug) in me.

You have a god given right to enter a private pub?!

Instead of throwing a fit for something you have no right to do, vote with your money! Go patronize a pub that values the dignity of its customers.

And vote out the sheriff or chief of police that sends his officers to be security guards on the public dime!

garuda said:
And vote out the sheriff or chief of police that sends his officers to be security guards on the public dime!

^ If only that were possible - sadly, it doesn't work that way over here...

It's pretty much all been said above by others, but drug-testing in pubs is ridiculous. A few years back when I was living in the area, half of the pubs in town (certainly in Banbury) would quite happily supply you with your chemical of choice along with your Bacardi Breezer or whatever. I doubt things have changed that much in a couple of years. Interestingly, I see that they chose The Litten Tree to run their little experiment on. This seems like an odd choice as no local druggy worthy of the name would ever be likely to darken its threshold, and there are plenty of other pubs (highest number of pubs per capita in the country, if memory serves) around were they know full well that they'd find a lot more than just one or two people with "traces" of drugs on them that they apparently decided not to check... :\

On a personal side note, I have been arrested by "Mr. Duffy" on many occasions: he is well known for his anti-drug opinions, his desire to land a really big bust, his general ineptitude and his all round wankerishness.