• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Appeals court says requirement to attend AA unconstitutional

erosion

Bluelight Crew
Alcoholics Anonymous, the renowned 12-step program that directs problem drinkers to seek help from a higher power, says it's not a religion and is open to nonbelievers. But it has enough religious overtones that a parolee can't be ordered to attend its meetings as a condition of staying out of prison, a federal appeals court ruled Friday.

In fact, said the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco, the constitutional dividing line between church and state in such cases is so clear that a parole officer can be sued for damages for ordering a parolee to go through rehabilitation at Alcoholics Anonymous or an affiliated program for drug addicts.

Rulings from across the nation since 1996 have established that "requiring a parolee to attend religion-based treatment programs violates the First Amendment," the court said. "While we in no way denigrate the fine work of (Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous), attendance in their programs may not be coerced by the state."

The 12 steps required for participants in both programs include an acknowledgment that "a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity" and a promise to "turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him." They also call for prayer and meditation.

Friday's 3-0 ruling allows a Honolulu man to go to trial in a suit on behalf of his late father, Ricky Inouye, who was paroled from a drug sentence in November 2000.

A Buddhist, he objected to religiously oriented drug treatment in prison, sued state officials over the issue and told Hawaii parole authorities just before his release that he would object to any condition that included a treatment program with religious content.

When Inouye was arrested for trespassing in March 2001 and tested positive for drugs, his parole officer, Mark Nanamori, ordered him to attend a Salvation Army treatment program that included participation in Narcotics Anonymous meetings, the court said.

Inouye showed up but refused to participate, dropped out after two months, and, for that and other reasons, was sent back to prison in November 2001 for violating his parole.

After his release in 2003, he sued Nanamori and others for violating his constitutional rights. Inouye died while the suit was pending, and his son took over the case.

A federal judge dismissed the suit, saying officers are required to pay damages for violating constitutional rights only when those rights are already clearly established.

But the appeals court said Nanamori should have known in 2001 that coerced participation in a religion-based program was unconstitutional because eight state and federal courts had ruled on the issue by then and all had agreed that a parolee has a right to be assigned to a secular treatment program.

Appeals court says requirement to attend AA unconstitutional
San Francisco Gate
September 8, 2007

Link

no kidding. It is an insult to both 12 step programs and those forced to attend them.

"Lets make everyone get better." Totally smacks the face of effective treatment.

That is freaking awesome. First the right to ayahuasca is upheld now this. There is hope for us here in the US.

I celebrated 4 years of abstinence from alcohol on sept 7th and haven't been to an AA meeting in all that time. When I used to go to meetings the religious aspects and all the "testimonials" and magickal thinking annoyed the shit out of me. The annoyance coupled with sitting around talking about alcohol was a powerful impetus for alcohol cravings.

I guess they'll have a much harder time believing they aren't a religion. Maybe I'll go instigate at a meeting somewhere today 8) .

Heyoka said:
That is freaking awesome. First the right to ayahuasca is upheld now this. There is hope for us here in the US.

I celebrated 4 years of abstinence from alcohol on sept 7th and haven't been to an AA meeting in all that time. When I used to go to meetings the religious aspects and all the "testimonials" and magickal thinking annoyed the shit out of me. The annoyance coupled with sitting around talking about alcohol was a powerful impetus for alcohol cravings.

I guess they'll have a much harder time believing they aren't a religion. Maybe I'll go instigate at a meeting somewhere today 8) .
WHY DON'T YOU SHARE YOUR SECRET WITH US THEN?

Ok. I agree with the ruling, but it doesn't mean shit really. So ok you don't have to go to an AA meeting. It doesn't mean that your PO isn't going to be more of a dick because your not going to meetings. And shit, going to a few AA/NA meetings might not be a bad idea for anyone getting out of jail/prison with drug related charges. Either to take a glimpse to see if it's for you or to see that it's not for you. And use it as a deterrent to keep your ass outa trouble.

This ruling doesn't change the way the parole or probation system works. You can still get court ordered impatient/outpatient/halfway housed. I know I've been court ordered through all 3 and I still have a year of probation left....thanks alot mr.public defender :\

I'm kinda torn. I don't go to AA anymore, but I haven't touched alcohol/coke/heroin in like almost 17 months. AA (well not AA but doing the steps with an awesome sponsor) definately helped me learn to cope and take a deep look at myself. At the same time I think no one should be court ordered into any 'religious' organization.

edit: IMO the secret is that alcohol is a boring drug that makes me sloppy, stupid, fat, and pretty much constantly depressed(so long as i keep drinkin). At least thats the way alcohol effects me. there are more fun drugs out there

Last edited:
Wow, this is awesome! I'm glad at least some courts are willing to protect the church-state division.

I do and don't agree. The separation of church and state clause is very clear, you all should read it sometime. It doesn't say much.

Though, I'm not certian if people should be forced to go to AA meetings, in some cases, I would agree that these people need some type of program.

yea they are just going to make them go to some alternate program which will probably be an even bigger hassle for all parties.

Heyoka said:

Maybe you should just go about your day without infringing on the rights and beliefs of others . . .

FC

brainslookfunny said:
i wonder what programs

There are definitely some good secular programs out there. Check out SMART (Self Management and Recovery Techniques) at http://www.smartrecovery.org/. I found it helped me a great deal during my first 18 months in recovery.

At the end of the day, however, I chose to be involved with AA as well, because I value the relationships, sense of belonging, and guidance and direction that I get from my sponsor and others, as well as my personal belief in God, which existed long before my first AA meeting.

SMART recovery is a great place to explore if you think you have an alcohol or drug problem, but don't want to dive into AA.

FC

aanallein said:
yea they are just going to make them go to some alternate program which will probably be an even bigger hassle for all parties.

If you are committing crimes and making the roadways unsafe for the sober people that have someplace to go (i.e. the reason you are being forced into a program in the first place) then YOU are the even bigger hassle for society. Get it?

FC

I meant for the court system as well. They'll have to establish these alternate programs.

Well, the court ordering AA meetings was retarded anyway. It is Alcoholics Anonymous, after all. The PO's give you a piece of paper, and you can just have some friends scribble some shit on it for names, and nobody's the wiser.

5-HT2 said:
Wow, this is awesome! I'm glad at least some courts are willing to protect the church-state division.

The second amendment just states that the country can't establish a religion ala Church of England. Jefferson wrote in a private letter about the separation.

In most colleges in the US if you break drug/ alcohol laws on campus they make you go to AA. This happened to me and I went reluctantly, I sat through the entire meeting thinking how bogus it was that I was forced to sit through a meeting where every other word was Jesus this and God that when Im not in the least bit religious, spiritual yes, religious no. Glad that this case turned out the way it did.

karma1485 said:
In most colleges in the US if you break drug/ alcohol laws on campus they make you go to AA. This happened to me and I went reluctantly, I sat through the entire meeting thinking how bogus it was that I was forced to sit through a meeting where every other word was Jesus this and God that when Im not in the least bit religious, spiritual yes, religious no. Glad that this case turned out the way it did.

Well this doesn't suprise me becuase there's a lot of religious schools.

If you're talking about public universities thats a different story.

On a related comment:
you'll find it very hard to find an instance where there is a court order (or as applies to the above quote, a order as a condtion of remaining @ the unversity) saying someone has to go to AA.
A lot of times its jsut some individual promoting AA and using deceptive language to almost coerce the drug user into going to that bullshit.
Don't let this happen to you guys, tell them that you're not going to go worship a deity unless court ordered (by a judge or dean).