• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

what is your favorite/most memorable sports highlight of ALL time?

axl blaze

Bluelighter
sup sports junkies? in this thread you will elaborate on your most memorable sports moment of all-time. you can have more than one, I suppose, but I would prefer it if you posted them one at a time. whether you came in your pants over the Boston Red Sox coming back and clobbering the New York Yankees in the World Series a few years back, or you just can't get Doug Flutie of Boston College's hail mary pass to win the game against the Miami Hurricanes in the NCAA Championship - post 'em here! I am sure you left coasters will be drooling at the chance to recite "The Catch" ;) also, you do not have to have been alive for this spectacular spectacle, so please do not allow that to hinder your choices!

post away! I am very excited to hear about what you all consider to be your best moment in sports, because to me it is a very personal thing and it reveals a lot about the OP.

these are personal examples rights? well in my 24 years, the best sports moment I have witnessed live was vince young scampering in for the touchdown in the NCAA finals. not only was it 4th down, but there was a moment of pause where everything seemed to stop and a little lane to the endzone opened up. everyone knew what was going to happen next, the question was, could he get there? It was like it was all happening in slow motion and when he was about a stride away it became clear he was gonna get it. I was with about 500 people in a bar and it erupted

personal examples? I don't understand the question really. no, you have not had to have been there.

Randy Johnson hitting that Bird.. I witnessed on on LSD and thought, wow, of all the space and time in the universe, that bird had to be exactly at that coordinate at that very second.

Joe Carter hitting out of the park to have the Jays win the world series.

Tony Hawk landing the first ever 900 in skateboard halfpipe competition.

Recently, When Shawn Thornton of the ducks put that rather wild hit on Kyle Quincy sending him doing a... "360 bullride" across the ledge of both benches!

(I'll think of more later...)

Champions League Final, 26 May 1999.

The Nou Camp, Barcelona.

Manchester United FC vs Bayern Munich.

I'm watching in a pub in Scotland, on my own. At the start of the game, the seat next to me is the only spare one, when a German geezer comes in. He naturally comes over and my heart sinks because I don't want to sit beside an opposition fan.

Him: who are you supporting?
Me: well, United. Manchester. [pause] And you support Bayern?
Him [slams fist on table]: No! I am a Borussia Muchengladbach supporter! I hate Munich! I will support Manchester!
His contributions to the game consisted of shouting 'fuck Munich' in German. I was starting to like this guy.

With 90 minutes played, Bayern lead 1-0, having hit the cross bar with 10 minutes left. The 4th official signals 3 minutes of injury time to be played.

United's right-back, Gary Neville, chases the ball down on the left wing, and wins a corner....over to the commentators:

Tyledsley: Can Manchester United score? They always score.
Atkinson: The big goalie's going up!
Tyledsley: Peter Schmiekal's going forward.
Atkinson: He's got one in Europe before, can he get one now?
Tyledsley: Here's Beckham with the corner, it's in towards Schmiekal...cleared...Yorke....Giggs with the shot....Sheringham!!!! Name on the trophy! Teddy Sheringham, with 30 seconds of injury time played, has equalised for Manchester United! They are still in the European Cup!

1 minute later, United win an identical corner.

Atkinson: Schmeical's staying back this time. He thinks he's done enough.
Tyledsley: Perhaps he has done enough...here's Beckham...Sheringham.....and Solksjaer has won it!!!

The best last minute comeback ever, in the biggest game of all (soccer wise).

[By this point, the entire pub is in an uproar, chairs and tables are everywhere because we've knocked em over jumping up, and everyone's running around hugging random strangers]

Sydney winning the AFL finals a few years ago...had always backed sydney but only think they made it to the final once or twice in my lifetime and hadn't won in like 25 years or something. . was a wicked game, they won on the last goal if I recall correctly... watched it with my grandpa & dad, and it was the last time i saw my grandpa.

Magglio Ordonez hitting that walk-off homer in the ALDS last year to send the Tigers to the World Series.

Or that sick Tayshaun Prince block on Reggie Miller in the 04 playoffs.

Or Darren McCarty deaking the fuck out Ron Hextall (I think). You know, the goal that ended up clinching the cup and ending the Wings' 42 year drought.

These might not be considered quite as awesome by all of you non-Detroiters but we've got some pretty good sports memories from all of our teams over here... well maybe not the Lions.

nc state winning the NCAA with jimmy v
bosox over the yankees in the alcs
john kruk switch hitting against r. johnson in the allstar game.
sid bream chugging around from 2nd to take the pirates in the '92 nlcs
andre agassi's last us open
arnold palmer last british open, st. andrews
mickelson winning the masters

and probably my favorite baseball moment that wasn't a game was seeing ted williams at fenway at the '99 allstar game. he was surrounded by players, the greatest players in the league, and they were in absolute awe of him.

boise states win last fall... hook and ladder and the statue of liberty for the win! LOL

portland/lakers game 7 western finals. lakers down by 15 in 4th quarter. i couldnt sit, i kept on pacing back n' forth n' my room, praying to a higher power the lakers would win.

kobe alley-oops to shaq n' shaq throws down a monster one hand dunk. to take the lead ( i think to take the lead ) but it was the biggest play of the game.

i went fuckin crazy, thats when i realized there was a god.

Sim0n said:
Champions League Final, 26 May 1999.

The Nou Camp, Barcelona.

Manchester United FC vs Bayern Munich.
has much as i hate united this was the best last minute comeback i have ever seen, what a fucking game.

That was pretty memorable Darpurman...but I was angry as I was predicting all season long the Blazers would beat the Lakers in the Conference Finals in 7...but yeah, that dunk was the signal it was over. Good job Dunleavy...take out Steve Smith, the hot hand who gave you the big lead....

Anyway...

Tyus Edney...4.8 seconds...

Terrell Owens...The Catch 2...

Kirk Gibson v. Dennis Eckersley...and how much of a bummer it was...

Derek Fisher...0.4...

Maradona's run against England in the '86 World Cup...

And last because I was there live, living the dream...

capEr said:
Tony Hawk landing the first ever 900 in skateboard halfpipe competition.
i'm not big into skateboarding but i saw that as it happened. it was great.

for me it has to be the sox taking the '04 alcs from the yankees. they were 3-0 down and had just lost game 3 19-8 at fenway. miserable. then the greatest comeback in mlb - if not us sports - history. the world series was an anti-climax after that.

alasdair

Wiltord's Goal at the last minute of the Euro 2000 Final

It wasn't even that great a goal, but the Italian goalie had been so amazing during the entire game, and the fact the ref probably gave France more time than they deserved...It just made it one of the most amazing sports moments i've witnessed, obviously made that much sweeter by Trezeguet's winner in the extra period.

hearing the commentators scream "wide right!" as buffalo shanked a field goal to give the superbowl to your new york football giants!!!!! i was in third grade at the time and i still remember it like it was yesterday

Some really good ones posted above.....

To add...

Saints vs Jaguars ('04 im pretty sure) when the sainst were down by 7 w/ 10 secs to go....

Aaron Brooks throws to Donte Stallworth, in which he laterals to about half the team going 70 yards for a TD w/ no time left.....

The kicker John Carney comes in to tie the game w/ the X-point and MISSES!!

The most unlikely, bizarre, living-on-a-prayer play worked, and the most routine, automatic (so we thought) play is unsuccessful......

I heard that game on the local radio station as it happened.....its the play by play they use for that highlight on ESPN.....the announcers reaction to the missed extra point is priceless

Last edited:
I am not a sports guy at all

But I was at the 1969 game when the New York Mets won the World Series. Baseball.

LapDawg said:
Derek Fisher...0.4...
+1
...also horrys famous shot against the kings in game 4 of the western conference finals in 2002. i was living in sac at the time so it was great to rub that in all the kings fans faces=D

DR_10.17_WS_bgsg.jpg

The greatest stolen base of all time, leading to the greatest comeback in the history of American sports.

^ dave roberts?

it was great to see him get a warm reception at fenway yesterday.

alasdair