• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

what is your favorite/most memorable sports highlight of ALL time?

The Essendon Bombers (AFL) coming back from 69pts down vs. Kangaroos in 2001 to win by 12pts. I was there behind the goals.. what a fucking night it was!

Oh fuck, how the fuck could I have not have mentioned this yet! OK one of my good friends George Davis used to play for the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles in the QMJHL, and he obviously doe not have a career in hockey anymore, he's a family man now i guess you could say and he lives just up the road from me, but here is a very memorable moment im sure many many people remember..

Note: it was the only cape breton screaming eagles game ever broadcasted live on national television, and I was at this game too, it was 4 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb8s3Ic0-ew

Hypnotik1 said:
Some really good ones posted above.....

To add...

Saints vs Jaguars ('04 im pretty sure) when the sainst were down by 7 w/ 10 secs to go....

Aaron Brooks throws to Donte Stallworth, in which he laterals to about half the team going 70 yards for a TD w/ no time left.....

The kicker John Carney comes in to tie the game w/ the X-point and MISSES!!

The most unlikely, bizarre, living-on-a-prayer play worked, and the most routine, automatic (so we thought) play is unsuccessful......

I heard that game on the local radio station as it happened.....its the play by play they use for that highlight on ESPN.....the announcers reaction to the missed extra point is priceless

I forgot abut the youtube vids.....

check it out here

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3859613640694138236&q="river+city+relay"&hl=en+

Sydney Swans getting up to win their first AFL flag in ~70 years. Fucking intense game, jumping around the lounge room, biting nails, the works, hearing that siren go was absolutely magical!

or in 2005 when Australia qualified for the World Cup for only the 2nd time, and the first time since 1972. Penalty shootout, scenes of absolute madness!!

There are so many more, but these are the two that stick in my mind the most.

Pele's speech following his farewell game in Giants Stadium.

He played the first half for the New York Cosmos, then swapped jerseys, and played the second half for his old Brazilian club team, Santos.

After the exhibition, in front of a packed to the rafters Giants Stadium and to hundreds of millions on the telly worldwide, he received perhaps a ten minute standing ovation.

People in the stands (and on the field) were crying and hugging each other.

For me (and for many others), it was a religious experince.

Then, finally, after the standing ovation STARTED to subside, the greatest player in the history of team sports stepped to the podium, and instead of talking about himself, or giving the garden variety "thank you to blah, blah, blah" farewell speech, Pele took this opportunity to get up on the podium, motion for all of his adoring fans to join him in putting up the universal sign for peace, and made a speech merely seven words long.

In broken English, this beautiful humble man said:

"Everybody, repeat after me.

Love.

Love.

Love."

watching ray bourque FINALLY get his hands on lord stanley's cup. the series went 7 games and finished at home (in denver colorado). i remember joe sakic was the recipient of the cup for the presentation and he IMMEDIATELY (even before hoisting it over his head) handed it over to ray. it was ray's first stanley cup, and final game of his career. what a class act joe sakic is... and what an amazingly moving moment to see ray bourque hoist the cup above his head for the first time.

also... i remember vividly, the cleveland indians coming back from a 14-2 deficit against the seattle mariners (in cleveland) in 2001. that was one of the most AMAZING come backs ive ever seen. the only one that even comes CLOSE to rivaling it (if not beating it) was when the blue jackets came back against the anaheim ducks in january of this last season. the jackets were down 3-0 and came back to score 4 unanswered goals in the final 10:02 of the game to win.

oh... and while im on the subject of the jackets, seeing the jackets come back against the red wings (in detroit no less!) and the ENTIRE game the crowd booed every single time that sergei fedorov touched the puck. the game went into overtime... no goal scored. then a shootout... then finally sergei fedorov of all people shut the wings fans down by scoring the winning goal in the shootout! hahahahahaha... i will never yell "EAT IT FAGGOTS!" louder than i did that night.

:)

and damn it... now that im thinking of all these moments... when the boston fans welcomed trot nixon back to fenway park earlier this season, that gave me goosebumps. not only did he get an award upon arrival, but when he stepped to the plate for the first time... the crowd stood up and applauded him for what seemed like an eternity. boston was class that night. i about shed a tear for trot.

honorable mentions:

-nolan ryan beating the shit out of robin ventura after venture decided to charge the mound.
-joe carter's home run.
-pretty much every stanley cup winning team taking their turns hoisting the cup and skating with it.
-david delluci hitting a walk off single and immediately throwing his arms up before he even got out of the batters box because he KNEW that his hit just won the game (this season).
-the detroit red wings and colorado avalanche racking up the PIM in a classic rivalry.

so many more as i remember them, i'll name them.

Im a bodyboarder, but im into any sport where riding waves are involved.

One of the most memorable things for me was at Teahupoo when Kelly Slater got 3 perfect 10 point rides in the one comp.

Another one would have to be Jeff Hubbard(bodyboard...represent!) when he first did his signature move called a "hubb" which is a forward air(look it up) with a front flip at the end. It looks bloody impossible and it wouldnt suprise me if no one else ever lands one.

Two sick sporting moments that stick out in my mind.....and BTW noone will ever be better than kelly slater, andy irons is shit.

ryanlaughlin said:
also... i remember vividly, the cleveland indians coming back from a 14-2 deficit against the seattle mariners (in cleveland) in 2001. that was one of the most AMAZING come backs ive ever seen. the only one that even comes CLOSE to rivaling it (if not beating it) was when the blue jackets came back against the anaheim ducks in january of this last season. the jackets were down 3-0 and came back to score 4 unanswered goals in the final 10:02 of the game to win.

Fuck yah I remembr that, Iam an Indians fan all the way, I also remember Seattle shutting down cleveland to win the world series back in 97` watchin the world series game against Florida, and I forgot who it was on Florida, but they hit a nice shot over the Shortstop to gain the winning run, I was so pissed off that happened! it's not a FAVORITE moment but it's memorable.

Even though I dont really follow soccer (football) all that much, I think when Australia beat Uruguay to get into the World Cup was a superb moment of our sporting history, only because we'd tried so many times and failed (and because the filth Uruguayans said it was their divine right to be in the tournament, not us).

Oh, and though not hugely impressive, I remember being at the local shopping mall during the Sydney Olympics. They had this massive TV showing the events live. I walked past it during the final stages of the women's triathalon. The Aussie girl was coming first but she got beaten and came second. From memory, that was the first medal we won at those Games. And people just stopped shopping to watch this girl push herself over the line, and when she did, people started clapping. That made me proud.