• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Codeine Routes of Administration

jasoncrest

Bluelighter
There are many ways to take a drug
-intra-rectal
-oral
-intra-nasal
-smoked
-injected/intravenous
-injected/intramuscular
-injected/subcutaneous
-sublingual

-Codeine is most commonly sold as Oral tablets.
-IM and SC ampoules also exist. When you use Codeine IM or SC, you only need 60% of the oral dose you would use to get the same effects.
-Codeine suppositories are also common. People on this board all say that rectal Codeine is stronger.
-There was a Codeine nasal spray from Canada, but it was recently taken off the market.
-Codeine is used intravenously, esp. for children, but it is very dangerous and hazardous
http://www.cja-jca.org/cgi/content/abstract/41/12/1211
http://www.theannals.com/cgi/content/abstract/35/10/1211
-Some people report great effects from smoked Codeine freebase
-There are no data about sublingual Codeine, but the drugs that are effective subslingually are drugs that requires low dosage (less than 10mg), which is not the case of Codeine

-------------

My question is simple:
-intravenous Codeine is unplesant and dangerous
-intramuscular Codeine is highly effective and safe,
so:
-is smoked Codeine freebase like IV Codeine (dangerous) or like IM Codeine (effective, safe)?

-is snorted Codeine like IV Codeine (dangerous) or like IM Codeine (effective, safe)?

I didnt even know that codeine was effective when snorted. Would snorting 30mg codeine tablets be a effective way of administration and would it be stronger then the oral route?

Good question about snorting codeine! I haven't read proof either way. I originally believed it was dangerous, but I've looked for sources to confirm it, and I haven't found much.

Snorting wouldn't work, because codeine is a pro-drug. That means it has to be metabolized by your body before it takes effect. Codeine itself has a very weak affinity for the opiod receptors in your brain. When you take it orally your liver converts roughly 10% of the dose to morphine, though this varies between many people and roughly 8-10% of the caucasian population does not have the enzyme, CYP2D6, necessary for this conversion. Morphine is what gives us the euphoric effects of codeine.

If you snort it, it won't have any effect because it won't become morphine. IM can be used, but I'm not sure how that works. IV is dangerous, yes, because of the massive anti-histamine response it causes and the danger of a pulmonary edema. I haven't heard of smoking it freebase before though.

Mr Blonde said:
Snorting wouldn't work, because codeine is a pro-drug. That means it has to be metabolized by your body before it takes effect. Codeine itself has a very weak affinity for the opiod receptors in your brain. When you take it orally your liver converts roughly 10% of the dose to morphine, though this varies between many people and roughly 8-10% of the caucasian population does not have the enzyme, CYP2D6, necessary for this conversion. Morphine is what gives us the euphoric effects of codeine.

If you snort it, it won't have any effect because it won't become morphine. IM can be used, but I'm not sure how that works. IV is dangerous, yes, because of the massive anti-histamine response it causes and the danger of a pulmonary edema. I haven't heard of smoking it freebase before though.

Why wouldn't it be metabolized to Morphine if you snort it, while it is metabolized to Morphine when you inject it IM or SC???

Codeine doesn't need to be taken orally to become converted to Morphine by CYP2D6...
I think that if you eat it, if you shoot it, or if you snort it, it's still gonna go to the liver and get concverted to Morphine....

-

Again, does anyone know something about that:?
-Is snorting Codeine dangerous & unpleasant like IV Codeine or safe & effective like IM Codeine??
-Is smoking Codeine freebase dangerous & unpleasant like IV Codeine or safe & effective like IM Codeine??

ive snorted codeine sulphate 60mgs and it caused an allergic reaction, but so did large amounts orally. phosphate maybe different. ive also muscled codeine and found it only slightly better than plugging and a little better than eating. ive also IVed 30mgs codeine sulphate and had an extreme allergic reaction and couldve died if not for benadryl taken immediately. never shoot codeine.

I would like to bring this post back up because it's inconclusive. Now I hate the taste of codeine after a CWE so much, that I can physically make myself sick by just thinking about it if I feel nausous. I used to be sick on the drug, at least partly because of the drinking process.

I won't use any injection methods. Does snorting entail a CWE, then leaving the liquid to evapourate, leaving just the solid to snort? I read this on here somewhere a while ago.

It's either that or a codeine enema of the CWE liquid I guess, which sounds like it would be more powerful.

I use to get 100mg codeine pills. And I knew some people who snorted them....
They usually said it burned and itched inside the nose. But that can really happen snorting anything.

it's usually just a question of the time you spend crushing them, and of course, how often you do it. I use a pestel and mortar, but I don't insufflate drugs often.

Regarding metabolism: Nasal, Rectal, and Injection do not completely block the metabolism of a drug. They only blockfirst pass metabolism, which happens as the drug is in the GI tract and is absorbed through veins that all lead to the liver. The drugs will then go to the brain and other organs and come back to the liver over and overt again untill they are metablolized. Blocking first-pass metabolism simply gives the brain more "bulk" drug and slows down its metabolism since it doesn't take the highway to the liver.

Secondly, Codeine is not purely a pro-drug - it has an affinity for mu receptors on its own.

In my experience, rectal administration of of codeine is about twice better than oral.

^Have recent studies caused scientists to revise their opinion on it? I thought it was considered mostly inactive.

Wikipedia says it gets metabolized to codeine-6-glucuronide, morphine, (presumably M6G as well), hydromorphone, and (HM6G??) giving up to 6 active drugs if codeine is active as well. This along with the fact that I am probably a good metabolizer (30mg feels 50% stronger than 5mg oxycodone to me) probably explains why I like it so much.

Do any other opiates have so many active metabolites?

Secondly, Codeine is not purely a pro-drug - it has an affinity for mu receptors on its own.

It does bind to Mu-receptors, in fact if I remember right it's a full agonist. However, it barely causes any analgesia and will just give you a nasty histamine reaction. Hence why it's a pro-drug; the morphine is much better.

In my experience, rectal administration of of codeine is about twice better than oral.

I'm interested in trying this. Did you just do a CWE? How much water did you use? Any recommendations for a codeine anal virgin? ;)

Jamshyd said:
Regarding metabolism: Nasal, Rectal, and Injection do not completely block the metabolism of a drug. They only blockfirst pass metabolism, which happens as the drug is in the GI tract and is absorbed through veins that all lead to the liver. The drugs will then go to the brain and other organs and come back to the liver over and overt again untill they are metablolized. Blocking first-pass metabolism simply gives the brain more "bulk" drug and slows down its metabolism since it doesn't take the highway to the liver.

Really, I always thought Codeine just metabolized into morphine. So in theory, you would certainly get better effects from oral or rectal administration compared to IM, right? However JC's post stated the ampules to be 40% more efficient ... I'm baffled.

Damn, I thought this was a recent thread by JC. Haven't seen him around in a while, hope everything is well.

^According to Wikipedia 1% gets converted to hydromorphone, 70% to codeine-6-glucuronide, and 5-10% to morphine.

Does anyone know what the potency of C6G is? Must be fairly low.

And does hydromorphone have an active glucuronide?

roughly 8-10% of the caucasian population does not have the enzyme, CYP2D6, necessary for this conversion

This is very interesting, do you have any documentation of this??

I didnt think you could IV Codeine?????????

You can't, well...you can, but it's very likely the histamine response will kill you =D

This is very interesting, do you have any documentation of this??

Read this excerpt from Experimental Therapeutics, it's not that they are 'missing' the enzyme, they have a mutant variant of the enzyme that doesn't process codeine into morphine efficiently. Well known on BL, I thought.

Mr Blonde said:
You can't, well...you can, but it's very likely the histamine response will kill you =D

Read this excerpt from Experimental Therapeutics, it's not that they are 'missing' the enzyme, they have a mutant variant of the enzyme that doesn't process codeine into morphine efficiently. Well known on BL, I thought.

Yeah I thought It fills your lungs up with fluid and you die if its injected............................ I'd stay FAR away.

Mr Blonde said:

If u look at things that way, then you can IV anything that can fit in the needle