• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Why is l-methamphetamine an over-the-counter drug in the United States?

Sandbag said:
I know you want bluelighter status; but please find something informative or at least entertaining to say.

Fuckyou259 is going to have a hard time obtaining bluelighter status with me around. As long as he keeps making irrelevant posts/threads. I will keep unapproving them which will lower his post count. Right now it's down to 1 :D .

We really can't have this shit on the forum. No one wants to have to read through a bunch of nonsense to get to the content they're looking for.

sonic said:
He's talking about a vicks stick. Not the benzidrex inhaler, which does have a psycho-active chemical in it. As people have mentioned, l-methamphetamine doesn't cross the BBB.
I know what he's talking about; there is a cotton drenched in l-meth inside the Vicks plastic case.

It is also drenched in bornyl acetate, camphor, lavender oil, menthol, and methyl salicylate. I would prefer to not put those in my stomach.

Trogdor said:
It is also drenched in bornyl acetate, camphor, lavender oil, menthol, and methyl salicylate. I would prefer to not put those in my stomach.

Extract it from the cotton.

I have not been able to find anything that suggests that l-meth does not cross the BBB. Anyone care to link me to something that says it? I personally don't believe that claim, and that I can't find anything to back it up only further suggests to me that it's bs. But hey, I'm willing to change my mind if you guys find something that says it.

Trogdor said:
I have not been able to find anything that suggests that l-meth does not cross the BBB. Anyone care to link me to something that says it? I personally don't believe that claim, and that I can't find anything to back it up only further suggests to me that it's bs. But hey, I'm willing to change my mind if you guys find something that says it.

Extract the shit or just eat a vicks cotton and let us know if it works. I wouldnt recommend eating the cotton. Heres some instructions on extracting from the cotton..these instructions are for a Benzedrex inhaler.. will it work for vicks?

(1) Boil a half cup of water (preferably distilled) in the microwave. While waiting, remove the cotton from an inhaler, cut it into small pieces and put the pieces in a second small container... e.g. a clear glass coffee cup or small (~25mL) beaker.

(2) When the water is boiling, pour 20-30mL over the cotton and stir briefly. Add 15-20 drops of ~30% muriatic acid. The acidity should be moderate, but not strong enough to burn skin or mucus membranes on short term contact. Stir very well, and let the mixture stand for 5 or 10 minutes.

(3) Empty the liquid onto a smooth, flat microwave-safe dinner plate (with edges that keep the liquid in the center). Squeeze the cotton out also, preferably using gloves in case the solution is more acidic than intended. Discard the cotton.

(4) Put the dinner plate in the microwave and zap on full power until the liquid completely evaporates. You should hear a crackling sound when it's almost gone. Zapping too long could result in the plate cracking, so be sure to check often.

(5) Remove plate carefully using gloves or a potholder, and let sit until it's cool (10-15 minutes). Using a razor blade, scrape off dried propylhexedrine crystals until they're in a pile. Microwave another 30 seconds or so to drive out any remaining moisture.

(6) Optional but recommended -- add the crystals to 20-50 mL distilled water and redissolve. The resulting solution should have a neutral pH and can be consumed, squirted up the nose, etc (further dilution may be necessary). If liquid is consumed with a couple large glasses of water, it's unlikely to cause the severe nausea that eating the cotton often does, although some queasiness is still possible.

Somebody else is going to have to do that, I'm not willing to go through all that trouble to extract for ingestion a less-active isomer of a drug I hate.

Racemic and d-methamphetamine have similar effects and would be expected to have comparable abuse liabilities.
Racemic means a mixture of d + l. Therefore, d-methamphetamine seems to be the one with abuse liabilities, i.e. recreational value. Prohibition/interdiction is too strong these days for any drug with substantial recreational value to be sold as an OTC drug. Even drugs with limited recreational value (like ephedrine) are being controlled.

xxl said:
Prohibition/interdiction is too strong these days for any drug with substantial recreational value to be sold as an OTC drug.
There always seem to be one or two exceptions to any rule, including this one. If you're in the U.S., try propylhexedrine / Benzedrex some time & give us your opinion. You will have to get past a few barriers, including potential gastric upset and nasty peripheral side effects (not to mention the disgusting flavor of lavender oil + menthol).

P.S. most people I know who've tried it (including myself) rate it around a 7 or 8 on a scale from 1-10, if 10 was amphetamines in general. Unfortunately, the dosage needed for a good high can cause blinding headaches, seriously fast heart rate + high blood pressure. Good idea to have some sedatives and maybe even heart medications around when doing it.

Edit -- oh yeah, I forgot about DXM... another substance that many feel has substantial recreational value and is sold OTC.

Last edited:
MDPVagrant said:
There always seem to be one or two exceptions to any rule, including this one. If you're in the U.S., try propylhexedrine / Benzedrex some time & give us your opinion. You will have to get past a few barriers, including potential gastric upset and nasty peripheral side effects (not to mention the disgusting flavor of lavender oil + menthol).

P.S. most people I know who've tried it (including myself) rate it around a 7 or 8 on a scale from 1-10, if 10 was amphetamines in general. Unfortunately, the dosage needed for a good high can cause blinding headaches, seriously fast heart rate + high blood pressure. Good idea to have some sedatives and maybe even heart medications around when doing it.

Edit -- oh yeah, I forgot about DXM... another substance that many feel has substantial recreational value and is sold OTC.

I'd like to find those benzedrex inhalers but i dont think anyone sells them
but if its anything like dxm then forget about it!
ahaha

Yen said:
I'd like to find those benzedrex inhalers but i dont think anyone sells them
but if its anything like dxm then forget about it!
ahaha

Its nothing like DXM. It is very similar to a dose of Adderall. I can get them at my local Giant. They have never been out of stock.

I can think of no reason why l-methamphetamine would not cross the BBB. The change in psychoactive effect would come from the change in receptor affinity due to the difference in the chirality. It won't bind to the same receptors hence it's effect is different.

Benzedrex (propylhexedrine) is available in most drugstores. Most of the time you have to ask for it. Here's the Erowid link.

dazednconfused said:
how would you extract it from the cotton? is this even worth doing? im desperate for some stims
Check out the Erowid link above. Alot of people just eat the cotton instead of extracting it but chances are the other things in it will upset your stomache. I've never tried it personally.

The price is around $6-7.

cool, thanks, the erowid link helped a lot. now im about to go take a risk and buy either the benz. inhaler or vicks.. which one would be better, or are they the same? and do you just eat all the cotton in either one?

dazednconfused said:
cool, thanks, the erowid link helped a lot. now im about to go take a risk and buy either the benz. inhaler or vicks.. which one would be better, or are they the same? and do you just eat all the cotton in either one?
The Benz contains propylhexedrine, while the Vicks contains l-methamphetamine. The l-meth appears to have lower recreational value due to the change of chirality.

So I would go for the Benz, however, it appears to have a strong cardiovascular effect so caution is warranted. Do not mix with other stims, MAOI's etc. Do not use if you have heart condition or high blood pressure. Don't go crazy and eat a bunch either.

ok i just went and got the benz inhaler and im washing down the cotton pieces with coke. so far so good. i took klonopins last night.. but thats notthing to worry about right?

Just because something is structurally similar to another molecule does not mean anything.

For example, one of the isomers of peppermint is a fatal poison.

Two of the isomers of Ketamine, S-Ketamine and R-Ketamine, act very similar.

In some cases, isomers make no difference.

So really, it means nothing. Trying to say that l-methamphetamine is similar or has potential because it is an isomer of d-methamphetamine is total crap. I doubt they are even made in similar ways.

Another example is that an isomer of DXM is an opioid. However, DXM does not work anything like an opioid, it does not hit the same receptors, it is metabolized completely differently. It is a completely different substance in every single way.

A molecular isomer of another molecule implies nothing.

A racemic mix is a mix of two left and right mirror imaged isomers. One example is Ketamine, where the left and right mirror isomers (enantiomers) are mixed together. Ketamine is really a mix of two different, but similar, molecules. However, both isomers work on the same receptors.

Ephedrine is controlled in America because it can be used to make Methamphetamine in clandestine production. Illicit producers then switched to using pseudoephedrine and turning it into ephedrine, and in turn, that is also controlled now in most states to some level.