• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Why is l-methamphetamine an over-the-counter drug in the United States?

As people have mentioned, l-methamphetamine doesn't cross the BBB.

It most certainly does cross the BBB - it's lack of activity can be sort of described as such...

d-methamphetamine is the right shape to fit neatly into the appropriate active sites of the proteins/enzymes that produce the effects seen. This is like putting a right hand into a right hand glove. Now l-methamphetamine is like a left hand - it has all the same bits and the correct number as the right hand, but doesn't fit into the glove as it's a morror imane and can't be rotated (or anything) tbo make it fit a right hand glove .

If you're sitting with nothing to do, get a pair of gloves & try it (a full 10 xeconds of entertainment! =D)

I have tried both propylhexadrine (sp) and the vicks l-meth inhalers numerous times. The benzedrex stuff works better than the l-meth but there is definately recreational value in them. I used to get waves of euphoria from that shit. It was very comparable to doing adderall for me, except probably better.

fastandbulbous said:
It most certainly does cross the BBB - it's lack of activity can be sort of described as such...

d-methamphetamine is the right shape to fit neatly into the appropriate active sites of the proteins/enzymes that produce the effects seen. This is like putting a right hand into a right hand glove. Now l-methamphetamine is like a left hand - it has all the same bits and the correct number as the right hand, but doesn't fit into the glove as it's a morror imane and can't be rotated (or anything) tbo make it fit a right hand glove .

If you're sitting with nothing to do, get a pair of gloves & try it (a full 10 xeconds of entertainment! =D)

but it does fit somewhat.. which explains why some people get a recreational effect, no?

They stopped putting L-methamphetamine in Vicks years ago in Australia. It's just camphor, menthol, pine oil and methyl salicylate now.

wesmdow said:
but it does fit somewhat.. which explains why some people get a recreational effect, no?

pretend like the fingers of the glove are bent. quit trying to find a loophole ;)

TheodoreRoosevelt said:
Just because something is structurally similar to another molecule does not mean anything.

For example, one of the isomers of peppermint is a fatal poison.

Two of the isomers of Ketamine, S-Ketamine and R-Ketamine, act very similar.

In some cases, isomers make no difference.

So really, it means nothing. Trying to say that l-methamphetamine is similar or has potential because it is an isomer of d-methamphetamine is total crap. I doubt they are even made in similar ways.

Another example is that an isomer of DXM is an opioid. However, DXM does not work anything like an opioid, it does not hit the same receptors, it is metabolized completely differently. It is a completely different substance in every single way.

A molecular isomer of another molecule implies nothing.

A racemic mix is a mix of two left and right mirror imaged isomers. One example is Ketamine, where the left and right mirror isomers (enantiomers) are mixed together. Ketamine is really a mix of two different, but similar, molecules. However, both isomers work on the same receptors.

Ephedrine is controlled in America because it can be used to make Methamphetamine in clandestine production. Illicit producers then switched to using pseudoephedrine and turning it into ephedrine, and in turn, that is also controlled now in most states to some level.

pretty thorough post, but you're forgetting, d- and l- amp are enantiomers of each other (racemic amphetamine). so that somewhat negates some things you said, but you got the main idea right.

I forgot. I had a point when I posted that, but I'm kind of too high to bother now, plus I hate arguing over the internet.
As I said, nice post, I just don't see why you seem to take so many things I say as personal attacks.
Or maybe it was directed towards someone else, I can't remember now.

No, I did actually take it as a compliment. I didn't say thanks or anything because nothing in your post actually says you find the post good, so I wasn't sure.

But thanks, now I know for sure.

Like I said I didn't find hostility in your post, I originally thought it was complimenting.

But I really do mean what I said. What things did I say that were negated - I can't say I know too much on amphetamines, nor much on chemistry. My knowledge of chemistry and pharmacology is pretty basic, and I my biology knowledge is somewhat good which is probably why I find this stuff easy to get. Point is, is that I have no doubt that I may have said something wrong and and definately humble enough to know, and want to know, what I said wrong.

It's all a learning process here.

I Studied Chemistry In Jail

During my almost 2-year stay at Headingley Correctional Centre I studied Chemistry in school and read all of PIHKAL; an inmate at Milner Ridge Correctional Centre brought to my attention a book entitled Secrets of Methamphetamine Manufacture by Uncle Fester. Upon my release it was the first book I purchased, and in there there is a whole chapter dedicated to the Vick Inhaler ordeal, as well as explaining that l-meth is just not as potent as d-meth, and the author also explains why his favorite version of meth is d,l-methamphetamine, or chemicaly known as racemic meth. http://crankandthesnowangel.spaces.live.com/

Isn't Uncle Lester that guy in the Southwest, like Arizona or somewhere around there?

He got into alot of legal trouble right? Like you can't get those books anymore, et cetera.

The best use of L-meth is to oxidise it back to PMK & make raecemic meth. Then do a partial crystalization using tartaric acid. 95% D.

Jeebus Mic said:
Extract the shit or just eat a vicks cotton and let us know if it works. I wouldnt recommend eating the cotton. Heres some instructions on extracting from the cotton..these instructions are for a Benzedrex inhaler.. will it work for vicks?

(1) Boil a half cup of water (preferably distilled) in the microwave. While waiting, remove the cotton from an inhaler, cut it into small pieces and put the pieces in a second small container... e.g. a clear glass coffee cup or small (~25mL) beaker.

(2) When the water is boiling, pour 20-30mL over the cotton and stir briefly. Add 15-20 drops of ~30% muriatic acid. The acidity should be moderate, but not strong enough to burn skin or mucus membranes on short term contact. Stir very well, and let the mixture stand for 5 or 10 minutes.

(3) Empty the liquid onto a smooth, flat microwave-safe dinner plate (with edges that keep the liquid in the center). Squeeze the cotton out also, preferably using gloves in case the solution is more acidic than intended. Discard the cotton.

(4) Put the dinner plate in the microwave and zap on full power until the liquid completely evaporates. You should hear a crackling sound when it's almost gone. Zapping too long could result in the plate cracking, so be sure to check often.

(5) Remove plate carefully using gloves or a potholder, and let sit until it's cool (10-15 minutes). Using a razor blade, scrape off dried propylhexedrine crystals until they're in a pile. Microwave another 30 seconds or so to drive out any remaining moisture.

(6) Optional but recommended -- add the crystals to 20-50 mL distilled water and redissolve. The resulting solution should have a neutral pH and can be consumed, squirted up the nose, etc (further dilution may be necessary). If liquid is consumed with a couple large glasses of water, it's unlikely to cause the severe nausea that eating the cotton often does, although some queasiness is still possible.

I am trying this tonigt! I just finished the final step where the water evaporated from the plate and he crystals are waiting to be scraped. My god, can you imagine if this is as good as methamphtamine?

Trogdor said:
There is a nifty nasal decongestant product available for sale at practically every pharmacy I've seen, called the Vicks Inhaler. On the packaging it lists the active ingredient as 50 mg of 'levmetamfetamine', however I know that this is actually the L stereoisomer of methamphetamine. The Controlled Substance Act clearly states that "methamphetamine, its salts, isomers, and salts of its isomers" are listed as Schedule II substances. Do stereoisomers not legally count as 'isomers'? If so, why is d-methamphetamine (also known as the ADD medication 'Desoxyn') Schedule II? If somebody were to gather a large quantity of inhalers and extract the meth out *without chemically altering the drug*, would they be guilty of manufacturing a controlled substance? Even though what they actually possess is a legally obtained OTC drug? I must be missing a huge piece to the puzzle.

l - methamphetamine does NOT have the effect of d - methamphetamine.

A long time ago (when my father fought in Korea) he said they bought inhalers called BENDEDRINE. They took the cotton out and soaked it in a cup of coffee and drank the coffee to stay awake.

When the government required removal of the d- methamphetamine out of Vicks Inhalers they have such a weak stimulant effect that you would go broke buying enough of them to get a stimulant effect.

I read an "urban legand" that if you took the cottorn from 20 Vicks inhalers and soaked it in water, drank the water, it was equivalent to 5 mg. of dexedrine. Not sure if that is true.

I am NOT a chemist, but most stimulants that have value start with "D -" or "DL-".

I have used the vicks inhaler a few times. I did make me feel really good, but had a couple of draw backs: my heart rate was really high and they make my ass leak which really sucks since it somehow liquifies the shit so that I could hold it in and my home (fresh boxers) was 30 minutes away both times.

Jeebus Mic said:
Extract the shit or just eat a vicks cotton and let us know if it works. I wouldnt recommend eating the cotton. Heres some instructions on extracting from the cotton..these instructions are for a Benzedrex inhaler.. will it work for vicks?

(1) Boil a half cup of water (preferably distilled) in the microwave. While waiting, remove the cotton from an inhaler, cut it into small pieces and put the pieces in a second small container... e.g. a clear glass coffee cup or small (~25mL) beaker.

(2) When the water is boiling, pour 20-30mL over the cotton and stir briefly. Add 15-20 drops of ~30% muriatic acid. The acidity should be moderate, but not strong enough to burn skin or mucus membranes on short term contact. Stir very well, and let the mixture stand for 5 or 10 minutes.

(3) Empty the liquid onto a smooth, flat microwave-safe dinner plate (with edges that keep the liquid in the center). Squeeze the cotton out also, preferably using gloves in case the solution is more acidic than intended. Discard the cotton.

(4) Put the dinner plate in the microwave and zap on full power until the liquid completely evaporates. You should hear a crackling sound when it's almost gone. Zapping too long could result in the plate cracking, so be sure to check often.

(5) Remove plate carefully using gloves or a potholder, and let sit until it's cool (10-15 minutes). Using a razor blade, scrape off dried propylhexedrine crystals until they're in a pile. Microwave another 30 seconds or so to drive out any remaining moisture.

(6) Optional but recommended -- add the crystals to 20-50 mL distilled water and redissolve. The resulting solution should have a neutral pH and can be consumed, squirted up the nose, etc (further dilution may be necessary). If liquid is consumed with a couple large glasses of water, it's unlikely to cause the severe nausea that eating the cotton often does, although some queasiness is still possible.

Thanks for the extraction method. One question, though. I couldn't find any muriatic acid at Wal-Mart so I purchased The Works toilet bowl cleaner (20% HCl active ingredient; 80% other inert ingredients). What's your opinion on using this cleaner liquid for HCl?

Also, I noticed that my crystals would turn (and remain) blue (the same color as the toilet bowl cleaner :S ) when left out to dry; furthermore, they turned blue and faded away when mixed in water.

Muriatic acid is available almost anywhere (although concentrations range, and obviously you would need to add 2x the amount with the 15%). I would be hesitant to use the toilet bowl cleaner that you mentioned...

scriptx said:
Thanks for the extraction method. One question, though. I couldn't find any muriatic acid at Wal-Mart so I purchased The Works toilet bowl cleaner (20% HCl active ingredient; 80% other inert ingredients). What's your opinion on using this cleaner liquid for HCl?

Also, I noticed that my crystals would turn (and remain) blue (the same color as the toilet bowl cleaner :S ) when left out to dry; furthermore, they turned blue and faded away when mixed in water.

Hardware store

negrogesic said:
Muriatic acid is available almost anywhere (although concentrations range, and obviously you would need to add 2x the amount with the 15%). I would be hesitant to use the toilet bowl cleaner that you mentioned...

Me as well, however it seems to have worked to an extent. Some people report being high on it for several hours (like ~4); but for me it only lasted about 1, tops. Could that be due to Propylhexedrine not being bound to HCl (ie: not enough HCl) and thus losing some of it during the other steps in the extraction process?

Would a naphtha wash remove the extra inactive shit from the cleaner and the cotton swab itself?