• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Nurofen Plus (codeine)

DaBuster

Bluelighter
Just for kicks, I ordered these from New Zealand and I actually got 'em. Last time I had codeine was like 9 years ago when I had my wisdom teeth taken out (tylenol 3).
I was wondering if anyone here has tried this paticular brand and do you suggest I do an extraction because of the low amount of codeine per pill?
Nurofen Plus = 200mg Ibuprofen / 12.8 mg Codeine phosphate

Ibuprofen is much safer than APAP (acetaminophen) at higher doses, so I wouldn't worry about extracting the codeine, just go ahead and eat the pills whole.

I was just searching about the same thing..
Are there any side effects from taking 3200 mg of Ibuprofen??
..and even though it might be a waste of time, would the cold water extraction method still work with the Ibuprofen??
Cheers..

^^er, a stomach ulcer? Ibuprofen and other NSAID's are very irritating to your stomach. Otherwise, according to Micromedex, people have survived with no life threatening toxicity in od's ranging from 1.2 gms to 60 gms, with one case of a guy getting CNS depression at 3 gms. People with asthma should take care with ibuprofen.

If you have a sensitive stomach or gastro-intestinal problems, you should not even take ibuprofen. This especially applies to people with gastro disorders, such as Crohn's, IBS, etc... Be careful... Personaly, I'd much rather take APAP - but again I do have a long history of intestinal disorders...
Kalza

As a nurse i'm shocked, we would admit and treat you if you came to A&E after having taken such a large dose of ibuprofen, at that dosage it would probably cause you to bleed in your gastrointestinal tract even if you had no previous GI problems. Don't be a prat! Just fake a really bad back and get some codeine from your GP if you're that desperate.
FairyNymph, as a moderator, i'm amazed to see you give such potentially life-threatening advice, please ensure your data is correct before you post because the advice of moderators is taken more seriously than others.
[ 02 June 2002: Message edited by: nursey ]

Thanks for the info.. i glad i waited for a few more responses..
Back to the question i was going to ask originally --> Does the cold water extraction method work with ibuprofen??
Cheers.

As far as I know the cold water extraction works with Ibuprofen. So you should have no problem, enjoy...

Quick searches turned up that ibuprofen is nearly insoluble in water; it appears it is mixed or bound with a "surfactant" (something that "acts on the surface" - i'd always associated the word with soap because of the way it breaks the surface tension of water) to enable it to be absorbed into the system when taken orally, but I couldn't find good figures on how this affects its solubility in water at different temperatures.

Honestly, while 3200mg is a LOT - and it COULD cause problems, if you're not a drinker and basically a healthy young adult then you should have no problems ..
Still, for god sake, extract it next time..
So both nursey had some vaid points, as did fairnumph..
I will now move this to the HEALTH forum where you may get better info..

I was wondering if anyone could post a link to a series of old bluelight posts or an internet url on where I can find out how to extract the Codeine. Thanks

Here is a link for the extraction:
http://www.erowid.org/pharms/codeine/codeine_faq.shtml
Now.. just for the record, i didn't actually take 3200mg of Ibuprofen.. i was only asking what the side effects might be if i did (in order to take 300mg of codeine)
I'm getting a few conflicting reports about whether or not the Ibuprofen can be extracted using the cold water technique.. Can any one help put an end to this debate?
Cheers..

Damn you guys and your Codeine
I had my wisdom teeth taken out a couple years back and woke up hyper-ventalating (sp?) and convulsing. Apparently I'm allergic to it.
I want in on the fun... lol

fairnymph said:
Ibuprofen is much safer than APAP (acetaminophen) at higher doses, so I wouldn't worry about extracting the codeine, just go ahead and eat the pills whole.

Yea... REALLY great advice there. 8)
Please, in the interest of harm-reduction, think before you type next time. Thanks.

^ this thread IS a few years old, maybe you should think before you bump.

Just for the record- nurofen plus pills USED to be splittable so the codeine half could be separated from the ibuprofen. They are no longer being produced so they are splittable so if you want to separate the codeine you will need to extract it. That link above is a relatively easy method.

zephyr said:
^ this thread IS a few years old, maybe you should think before you bump.

Just for the record- nurofen plus pills USED to be splittable so the codeine half could be separated from the ibuprofen. They are no longer being produced so they are splittable so if you want to separate the codeine you will need to extract it. That link above is a relatively easy method.

Right, sorry... I bumped an old thread. I'd have to say though, that's alot better than giving someone potentially fatal advice. 8(

Erm... just thought I would let you know, here in Australia, there just so happens to be a few batches of Nurofen Plus still circulating certain Pharmacies that are indeed "splittable". With a little practise and precision, one could be on his/her way to cloud9 in no time, without having to go through the Cold Water Extraction Method. %) ..just for the record milady :p

In my world, bumping an old thread, as opposed to say... giving potentially lethal, life consuming advice is not half a drama. So, please... :|

an idiots guide to extracting codein from nurofen plus

hey, guys,
i've just had a go at extracting the codeine from nurofen plus, i followeed the main points of the cold water extraction, but i kind of wanted to get rid of some of the fuss. kind of "an idiots guide to extracting codeine from nurofen plus" if you will. I did this about ten minuites ago and i can tell you i'm feeling some pretty strong effects, very nice. I basically just filled up a glass of cold water and put 12 tablets in there, i gave them five minuites to dissolve and a little swish around and let settle, make sure all the codeine had dispersed into the water, next i got hold of the thinnest t-shirt i could find, and placed it over another glass, and transferred the mixture, once i'd tranferred it all i gave it a good squeeze to make sure i got all the liquid out, it felt very good to see all the ibuprofen lying in that shirt, and knowing that what was in the glass was pretty much all codeine, i dare say there was a little ibuprofen in there, but what mattered to me was that i had seriously minimized it. So lets see that was just a little over 140mg of codeine in that experiment, lets say i lost 1 or 2 pills worth of codeine in the transfer, but i'm sure thats being overly generous, cos i can't see how i would have lost more than 5mg to 10mg there. you still getting a very good time from a pack of £2.69 pills. This may not be the worlds most precise method, but i think i'd rather see you do this than scoff down all that unnecesary ibuprofen. I hope this helps anyone who might be feeling a little overwhelmed by the more complicated looking faqs you find around. and i can tell you now that i am feeling it really good. If you decide to give it a try this way, write in and let me know how you got along.
LEM

I usually use nerofen plus for CWE, because of the high amounts of codeine (12.8mg) compared to other OTC drugs(8-10mg). It works.

Lately I've been using the filter from my coffee plunger instead of lemesis idea of a t-shirt, And I usually strain it a few times before drinking. I think I'll give a t-shirt a whurl today.