• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Mexico Considers Decriminalizing Pot, Cocaine & More (merged) (Updated 2/12/07)

spider from mars

Bluelighter
MEXICO CITY - Possessing marijuana, cocaine and even heroin will no longer be a crime in Mexico if the drugs are carried in small amounts for personal use, under legislation passed by the Mexican Congress.

The measure given final passage by senators late Thursday allows police to focus on their battle against major drug dealers, the government says, and President Vicente Fox is expected to sign it into law.

"This law provides more judicial tools for authorities to fight crime," presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said Friday. The measure was approved earlier by the lower house.

Under the legislation, police will not penalize people for possessing up to 5 grams of marijuana, 5 grams of opium, 25 milligrams of heroin or 500 milligrams of cocaine.

People caught with larger quantities of drugs will be treated as narcotics dealers and face increased jail terms under the plan.

The legal changes will also decriminalize the possession of limited quantities of other drugs, including LSD, hallucinogenic mushrooms, amphetamines and peyote -- a psychotropic cactus found in Mexico's northern deserts.

Hundreds of people, including several police officers, have been killed in the past year as drug cartels battle authorities and compete with each other for control of lucrative cocaine, marijuana and heroin smuggling routes from Mexico into the United States.

The violence has raged mostly in northern Mexico but in recent months has spread south to cities like vacation resort Acapulco.

Under current law, it is up to local judges and police to decide on a case-by-case basis whether people should be prosecuted for possessing small quantities of drugs, a source at the Senate's health commission told Reuters.

"The object of this law is to not put consumers in jail, but rather those who sell and poison," said Sen. Jorge Zermeno of the ruling National Action Party.

Fifty-three senators voted for the bill with 26 votes against it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mexico set to decriminalize pot, cocaine
Reuters News Service
April 28, 2006
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3827412.html[/quote]

Wow, I had no idea that they were going in this direction. The U.S. government is going to be pissed...

[edit: posted article text and separated from comments - ff]

Last edited by a moderator:
That is fucking awesome. I don't live that far from the border. It's about time I made my way down there.

It's quite a nice goodbye "fuck you" from Vicente Fox. I only hope his succesor has as great of balls.

BTW, did you see the sponsered links at the bottom of the article for cheap travel to Mexico? LMAO:)

YES!!!! I'M GOING TO MEXICO AS SOON AS THIS GOES INTO EFFECT! I really hope this changes the whole LSD and mescaline drought to south Florida...

Thanks for the article, spider, but please post in the format described in the guidelines. :)

WOW. Now the pressure is on. I wonder what the US will think of this little maneuver.

Wow, I'm shocked. There isn't some sort of Mexican April Fools, but instead on the 28th for our southern neighbors is there?

I wonder if there will be any openings of Amsterdam style coffee shops? Or would that be outside of the law because the store owner would have more than a supply of 5 grams? Maybe something can be worked out...good stuff anyways.

I can't find any other articles about this anywhere, any other sources?

Ummm did anyone but me catch the amounts though... 500mg of coke and 5 grams of weed... I go through that at the preparty much less in the course of the night. Anything over that you are charged as a MAJOR drug dealer?!?!? I do not know of a place that you can buy coke by the mg...

Makes my future trip to cancun more fun though,,,

Wonderful news. Finally some rational thinking is happening...

So what does that make now?

Brazil - Possesion of most substances legal?
Bolivia - Posed to make coca leaf legal?
Mexico - Possession of most substances legal?

Did I miss any?

Looks like a trend is starting to appear.....

Ummm did anyone but me catch the amounts though... 500mg of coke and 5 grams of weed... I go through that at the preparty much less in the course of the night. Anything over that you are charged as a MAJOR drug dealer?!?!? I do not know of a place that you can buy coke by the mg...

Half a gram of coke and 5 g of bud???thats a little pitiful actually.I hope they dont throw those with a gram of coke or a quarter ounce of bud in the same pen as those who are hauling kilos around.

Its a step forward yet one backwards as well.

Yeah those amounts are pretty ridiculous. I'm guessing that they are just general guidelines though... if cops find a little bag of weed on someone, they probably won't take out a scale and weigh it to make sure it is under 5 grams.

On a related note, the CNN.com article said that the legislation allows Mexicans to legally possess more than TWO POUNDS of peyote. Looks like Mexico is set to become the undisputed peyote capital of the western hemisphere once this law goes into effect.

I bet Mexico's prisons are overcrowded with drug users caught with tiny amounts, just like in Russia, they did the same. Purely economical move. Note how the drug cartels must be rejoycing even more on these news, more potential customers. In fact , I wouldnt be surprised if they had something to do with this since they pretty much run the country now...

Last edited:
^
Ditto. I saw "two pounds" and was like "WTF?" I just hope they don't harvest the damned thing to extinction...