• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

State May Make Hallucinogen Illegal

Church

Bluelighter
The state Senate is going to consider a bill outlawing a hallucinogenic herb involved in a Wilmington student's death. Senator Karen Peterson named the bill Brett's Law after 17-year-old Brett Chidester who began smoking "salvia divinorum" last summer. His parents say the drug eventually convinced him life was pointless. He committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning in January. The drug would be listed as a Schedule I controlled substance, putting it in the same category as heroin and L-S-D.

taken from http://www.wgmd.com/newspost/fullnews.php?id=260

***EDIT***

When I first posted this it was the only article I could find. Now there are more.. Here's another one, from http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060323/NEWS/603230360/-1/NEWS01

Proposal would outlaw hallucinogenic salvia
Herb, available legally through many Web vendors, would be placed in same category as heroin, LSD

Brett Chidester killed himself because of salvia divinorum, his parents say.

A hallucinogenic herb that may have contributed to the suicide of a Salesianum School senior in January would become an illegal drug under a proposed state law.

Salvia divinorum, which is widely and legally available through hundreds of Internet sites, would become a Schedule I controlled substance under Senate Bill 259, putting it in the same category as heroin and LSD. The Senate Health and Social Services Committee sent the bill to the full Senate after a hearing Wednesday.

The bill's prime sponsor, Sen. Karen Peterson, D-Stanton, named it "Brett's Law" after 17-year-old Brett Chidester of Pike Creek. He began smoking salvia divinorum last summer, apparently causing him to believe he had gained insights into the universe and that life was pointless. He killed himself by carbon monoxide poisoning Jan. 23.

The teen's parents, Kathy and Dennis Chidester, urged senators to outlaw salvia because of the powerful effect it had on their son.

"He was a great student, an excellent son," Kathy Chidester said. "I just think he might have had some mild depression and, combine that with salvia, it was a lethal combination."

If legislators pass the bill, Delaware would become the third state -- along with Missouri and Louisiana -- to outlaw salvia divinorum. The bill already has 21 co-sponsors in the Senate and House. Congressional efforts to ban salvia have failed, even though the federal Drug Enforcement Agency considers it a "drug of concern" because of its wide availability, potential for abuse and unknown long-term effects.

"Kids shouldn't be able to buy this online," Peterson said. "It's the equivalent of LSD, so I figured that's where it belongs."

Salvia's main ingredient, salvinorin A, is as potent as LSD, making it the world's most powerful natural hallucinogen, said Bryan Roth, a leading salvia researcher at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland.When salvia leaves are chewed or smoked, users experience powerful visions that make them believe they're in an alternate time and place, he said.

Roth said salvinorin A has been shown to have a depressive effect on mice in the laboratory. There have been no studies linking salvia to suicide and depression in humans, he said.

Making salvia a Schedule I controlled substance would not affect its availability for research, he said.

"I don't think we have anything to gain by not scheduling it," Roth said. "If there were more of a barrier there, that's not a bad thing."

Daniel Siebert, a California botanist who sells salvia online and promotes its responsible use, called Peterson's bill "premature and a bit misguided."

Brett Chidester's salvia use might have been more a symptom than a cause of his personal problems, said Siebert, who said none of the thousands of salvia users he has talked to ever expressed suicidal thoughts. In fact, some credit salvia for relieving their depression, he said.

"I don't think it's right to blame salvia for putting those thoughts in his head," Siebert said. "It's not impossible that he had some crazy trip and decided to act on those crazy ideas, but it's very unlikely."

Police and health officials said salvia is not a widespread or well known drug in Delaware.

Kathy Chidester said she has mixed feelings about her son being the inspiration for a drug law.

"It breaks my heart that I need to have a law like that named after my son," she said. "I don't think Brett would want to be known for a law like that, but I think of it as an honor."

Last edited:
It's interesting how alcohol is still legal, considering all of the suicides that are attributed to it.

I'm getting tired of this country, I really am considering moving to somewhere in Canada or Europe in the future. I'm not saying other countries don't have problems, but the politics and bullshit policies our government has just piss me off.

Church said:
The bill's prime sponsor, Sen. Karen Peterson, D-Stanton, named it "Brett's Law" after 17-year-old Brett Chidester of Pike Creek. He began smoking salvia divinorum last summer, apparently causing him to believe he had gained insights into the universe and that life was pointless. He killed himself by carbon monoxide poisoning Jan. 23.

The teen's parents, Kathy and Dennis Chidester, urged senators to outlaw salvia because of the powerful effect it had on their son.

"He was a great student, an excellent son," Kathy Chidester said. "I just think he might have had some mild depression and, combine that with salvia, it was a lethal combination."

Mild depression?

The kid killed himself. Obviously his depression wasn't that mild.

"Kids shouldn't be able to buy this online," Peterson said. "It's the equivalent of LSD, so I figured that's where it belongs."

I agree that high school kids shouldn't be buying drugs.

But a) it's not the equivellent of LSD and b) it's neither addicting nor does it cause any type of damage, there's no reason why an adult should not have the right to purchase and use it.

Making salvia a Schedule I controlled substance would not affect its availability for research, he said.

No, it may not affect it's availability. But it most certainly will affect who can do research with it and how easily that research can be conducted.

"I don't think we have anything to gain by not scheduling it," Roth said.

Except curtailing the rights of adults to engage in the pursuit of happiness as they see fit.

I have a feeling in years to come Salvia is going to be outlawed completely. I just know it. There's going to be a domino effect with the states.

And when I'm an old geezer, I'll be telling my grandchildren about the legal hallucinogenic drug that was able to bought so easily and was then turned into a Schedule I drug.

I think I'll start stocking up now and buy a pound of 20x extract just for safe measures.

"It breaks my heart that I need to have a law like that named after my son," she said. "I don't think Brett would want to be known for a law like that, but I think of it as an honor."
Oh my god. He is your fucking son. That is disgusting.

To use the death of your son as a tool to get rid of the guild of bad parenting is so low I don't even have a comment just emotions of pure discust.

I hope this vote needing political jerkoff dies a lonely old man, broken and in pain, horrible pain. Then when his soul is free the spirit of the Salvia Davinorum plant turns out to be the gate keeper to whatever heaven he wanted to spend eternity in.

" Peterson said. "It's the equivalent of LSD, so I figured that's where it belongs."

That's is scientific.. I figured that's where it belongs.. This guy is so typical of American politics, this is the same guy who let prozac move into the US culture so non-depressed people could get high on pills while real depressed people went and killed themselves on it.

Last edited:

Yea, it didn't have much effect on Cannabis, Mushrooms, or LSD.. those are easy to get research grants for.

Wow, his dad sounds like a winner. No wonder he killed himself.

Those parents want it prohibited so they wouldn't have to feel guilty about their son's death. It's not that drug that made him do it, it's a whole lot of other factors too, and his parents know it.

Another Case of Traditional "Blame Everything But Ourselfs" Thinking

deroxor said:
Another Case of Traditional "Blame Everything But Ourselfs" Thinking

When the kid wrote his good bye note, he didn't say "Well, the way you raised me caused me to realize life is completely pointless". He said his Salvia experience caused him to feel that way.

So I'm having a hard time understanding where you get that they're blaming everything but themselves. It sounds like they're listening to their son's last words.

I don't know. I probably sounded as ignorant as many people responding in this forum. But I'm a bit older now, I understand what my parents were trying to tell me growing up, I understand what my friend's parents were trying to tell them growing up, and I have friends raising their own kids now. And I feel I can safely assume that this kid's parents feel horrible about what happened and wish they recognized any hints the kid may have given so they could have stopped him from killing himself.

davesoviet said:
When the kid wrote his good bye note, he didn't say "Well, the way you raised me caused me to realize life is completely pointless". He said his Salvia experience caused him to feel that way.

So I'm having a hard time understanding where you get that they're blaming everything but themselves. It sounds like they're listening to their son's last words.

His last words were not, "Please go and make salvia illegal." All he said was that he attributed his apathy to salvia. I'm one of the many people who also feels that this is more than likely a classic (and increasingly common) case of parents not being attentive to their children.

But they fucked up, and now it's too late, so SOMETHING's gonna have to pay for it... it's hard to own up to the fact that you should have paid more attention to your children.

I'm not trying to be mean, but salvia did NOT kill this kid. It was his misinterpretation of events that unfolded FROM the use of salvia. That's not everyone else's fault, or even salvia's for that.

I have no respect for people who can't own up to their faults. I have MUCH empathy for people who lose their loved ones, especially their children.

But if they had been in touch with their son a bit more, chances are they would have figured out that he was losing his touch with reality, or his zest for life, so to speak... whatever.

Anyway, R.I.P. to the kid. I hope his parents will eventually forgive themselves... but they know damn good and well that salvia didn't kill their son, and that illegalizing it won't bring him back.

davesoviet said:

I'm guessing that if Salvia didn't even exist anymore, it would have been something else that showed him the exact same thing.