• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Apparently, kids are now abusing tylenol ...

SilverFeniks

Bluelighter
Feniks, the fallen DITM mod, just had to check in to report on this breaking news out of his hometown San Diego ...

SAN DIEGO -- When you think of drug abuse, you probably think of crystal meth, pot or even alcohol, but there's a new dangerous trend involving the typical pills in your medicine cabinet.

You think of these medicines as not only safe, but helpful and usually they are, unless they get into the wrong hands.

"I wanted to try something new. (I) went to a store, stole them with friends and I used some," said Tara, who didn't want to disclose her last name.

Tara, 16, is a recovering addict of over-the-counter drugs.

"I started (taking) six pill then ended up taking 18," Tara said.

She became very ill the last time, which made her get help. She was lucky because overdoses can cause liver damage, even death.

"Tylenol is dangerous. (It's) something kids can get a hold of. (They) think it's safe (because it's) not prescribed, and they misuse it," said emergency trauma R.N. Sandy Dewees.

Medical and heath professionals met Thursday to figure out ways to slow this growing trend.

A 2004 study found prescription and over-the-counter drug abuse on par with illicit drug use in the U.S.

The study found 1 in 5 teens has abused pain medicine, 1 in 10 has abused stimulants and 1 in 11 has abused cough medicine, 10News reported.

"They think it's cleaner (and) OK because (it) comes from the doctor or it's prescribed, but it's abused," said John Woo, with Pharmaceutical Enforcement.

So what should parents do? They should spend time with their kids, monitor their activity and ask questions. They should also look out for the warning signs.

"The normal things you need to look out for are attendance at school, dropping grades and taking time away from the home," said Chuck Williams, with Mental Health Systems.

If there is drug abuse, seek help. Tara is now on the road to recovery.

"It's changed my life and it's great," said Tara.

One way you can support the effort to stop teen drug abuse is to support the California Walk For Recovery.

It will take place Sunday, March 26 in Balboa Park starting at 7 a.m.

The walk raises money for susbtance abuse programs for teens and adults.

For more information on the walk, go to WalkForRecovery.org.

ABC 10 News source

In ALL the time I posted hundreds of articles here at DITM, I'm not sure I ever ran across a more ridiculous, completely BS story.

Making a completely useless OTC med with absolutely ZERO recreational effects out to equal alcohol, cannabis and methamphetamine ... this should win an award.

Newsflash: Kids across America are skipping school to irreperably harm their livers from overdosing on a non-abusable poison!
Tylenol has to be last on the list of about 1,000 industrial/household chemicals/OTC meds in the recreational category. At least huffing paint thinner does something for you. APAP? Nada.

I was late to the drug scene, but I still scored MDA when I was 16 and methadone when I was 18 back in SD ... come on, kids ... at least go to TJ.

Signing out from the meth capital of the US
-Feniks

So what should parents do? They should spend time with their kids, monitor their activity and ask questions. They should also look out for the warning signs.

"The normal things you need to look out for are attendance at school, dropping grades and taking time away from the home," said Chuck Williams, with Mental Health Systems.
Oh, I was wondering why that one time I had a headache and took a Tylenol, I dropped out of high school and left for another state. Good to know the reason now.

All I have to say is......... wow and what the fuck. This is the biggest load of crapabullshit I have ever seen. To think any form of media would allow this to be published.......

"It's changed my life and it's great," said Tara.

They threw this line in after mentioning seeking help for drug abuse, but it seems kind of assumed that's what Tara is talking about. Maybe this quote is her actually talking about her awesome tylenol fueled adventures?

Maybe they're talking about hydrocodone and percocet? Just with only mentioning the Tylenol. Though it does say OTC in the article....I don't know, weird.

being from the burbs in a very rich area i can say that kids just wanna pop pills. if they cant get their hands on anything good, just pop ANYTHING.

I hope they set up OTC support groups, something AA oriented. My dramamine addiction is getting way out of hand. Ever since i started mixing it with tylenol to make the ultimant drug cocktail my eyes have been puffy and yellow, and my stomache kills.

SO FUCKIN STUPID!!!

RRRRRRRRRRRRGHHH. What the fuck will they be saying next.

Gonna have caffeine treatemnt programs for kids who drink too much coffee to get a buzz? or Red Bull Feens Anonymous?

This shit is so fuckin stupid and ridiculous i just wanna go smash the reporter who wrote its head into a fuckin trash compactor and stuff their nose with advil pills

brickwall.gif

The fuckin attitudes people got towards their kids is out fuckin rageous. Like any breath they take, any color they choose to wear their shirt, any word they say, might be a warning sign of some dangerous gang drug or crime addiction.

OUR CHIIIIILDREN!! WAAAAAHH!! Shut the fuck up you whiney ass cry babies. maybe if you actually took the time to spend with your kids and werent so fuckin stupid and uninvolved that you only take notice when 'warning signs' show up then they would be a little bit smarter, hopefully at least smart enough to not fuckin POP TYLENOL PILLS!!

They ONLY thing that excess poppin tylenol would be good for is to say "i take 6 tylenol a day for my headaches, sometimes up to 10, and i still cant get no relief, can i get a stronger painkiller?"

Fuckin stupid stupid stupid stupid.......i hate people

maybe it's tylenol 3 or something

hah...gotta love the war on drugs

Feniks predicts the future:

Keep your eyes out in the next few months for a similar article, related to the abuse of a new, dangerous drug known as "breath mints".

Sold under a variety of slang names such as ice breakers and altoids, this new threat has spread like wildfire, with dealers for the product setting up on street corner [stores] across America.

I heard sniffing the morning-after pill is one hell of a rush.

lacey k said:
SO FUCKIN STUPID!!!

RRRRRRRRRRRRGHHH. What the fuck will they be saying next.

Gonna have caffeine treatemnt programs for kids who drink too much coffee to get a buzz? or Red Bull Feens Anonymous?

This shit is so fuckin stupid and ridiculous i just wanna go smash the reporter who wrote its head into a fuckin trash compactor and stuff their nose with advil pills

The fuckin attitudes people got towards their kids is out fuckin rageous. Like any breath they take, any color they choose to wear their shirt, any word they say, might be a warning sign of some dangerous gang drug or crime addiction.

OUR CHIIIIILDREN!! WAAAAAHH!! Shut the fuck up you whiney ass cry babies. maybe if you actually took the time to spend with your kids and werent so fuckin stupid and uninvolved that you only take notice when 'warning signs' show up then they would be a little bit smarter, hopefully at least smart enough to not fuckin POP TYLENOL PILLS!!

They ONLY thing that excess poppin tylenol would be good for is to say "i take 6 tylenol a day for my headaches, sometimes up to 10, and i still cant get no relief, can i get a stronger painkiller?"

Fuckin stupid stupid stupid stupid.......i hate people
Just curious, how much time did your parents spend with you?

DUUUDE, my liver is swollen, this is awesome!! Let's take some more tylenol!

rocklobster said:
Just curious, how much time did your parents spend with you?

at least enough to teach me not to be a retard by thinkin im getting high off non recreational OTC drugs.:p

Was this from a television station or an AP story? Obviously, this journalist did not do their homework on this half-ass story. Okay, the otc drugs they're probably talking about are coriciden (anything with DXM) or ephedrine. Sounds like Tara was probably using an something with DXM in them and then they got some quote about Tylenol. I hate local television media outlets.

Dude... my ex (thank god) once told me she got high off ibuprofen... we got into a fight over it because she said I behaved in a bad way and should have known she was 'high on ibuprofen'.

And are these just (still dumb IMO, but some ppl do it/semi-understandable) kids maybe taking Tylenol PM to hallucinate over a benadryl OD because they don't know straight Benadryl does it too (which is still damn stupid, never done it myself, heard it's hard on the heart, and probably does brain damage)... plus it's random delusions I think/random halluincations, not an insightful trip or any emotional/'trippy' feelings I'd assume.

When I was 18, I once took a bunch of aspirin, drank a beer, and did coke for the only time ever, and still felt nothin :p

source is supposedly a quality news station in SD; biggest local joint that I remember. They should stick to live news reports and weather. as hard as that is.