• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Study: loud music makes ecstasy more potent

Infinite Jest

Bluelight Crew
Hard-core partiers everywhere will be raving about a new scientific result for days: Listening to loud music while “rolling” on ecstasy makes the high longer and stronger.

A recent study published in the open access journal BMC Neuroscience found that a low dose of ecstasy (or MDMA) on its own yields no noticeable changes in the brain. However, when the user is exposed to loud noise for a few hours after consuming the drug, the same dose of ecstasy dramatically increases brain activity. And while the effects of even high doses of the drug normally wear off in a few hours, users who mix MDMA with loud music show alterations in their brains several days after it is administered.

The study’s lead author, Michelangelo Iannone of the Institute of Neurological Science in Italy, says ecstasy’s effects are enhanced by relatively common environmental factors.
Advertisement

“We stress the potential danger for many substances that have been so ‘popularly’ accepted as relatively ‘safe’ owing to their ‘short term’ effects,” he said via e-mail. “I think that these effects could be cumulative, because the administration of the drug five or six days later is done by an organism that is [still] under the effects of the preceding administration.”

The researchers got their results by studying the effects of ecstasy on rats divided into six groups. Each rat was administered with either saline solution, a low dosage (3 mg/kg) of MDMA or a high dosage (6 mg/kg) of MDMA. The researchers then placed their subjects in quiet conditions or exposed them to loud white noise.

The continuous noise was kept at a level of 95 dB, the maximum intensity allowed in Italian nightclubs, and played for a single period starting one hour before the administration and ending four hours later. The team attached electrodes to each rat’s cerebral cortex and performed an electrocorticogram to measure the activity in that brain region.

Three groups showed a significant increase in cortical activity: the high-dosage/music group experienced the greatest activity, followed by the low-dosage/music group and the high-dosage/no music group. One day after the administration of the drug, the cortical activity of both the low-dosage/music group and the high-dosage/no music group had nearly returned to normal. However, the high-dosage/music group had significantly altered brain activity even five days after the drug was administered: The ecstasy had stayed with them for over five times as long as it would have without the four hours of noise.

Iannone said they have preliminary results on a study using techno music instead of white noise, and the effect appears to be identical. Studies on the effects of light stimulation and alcohol intake on MDMA users are also underway.

David, whose name has been altered to preserve anonymity, a man who has used ecstasy both in loud and quiet contexts, said that while he hasn’t specifically noticed music increasing the duration of his high, the effects of the drug are less noticeable without music, and the high is qualitatively different.

“Rhythm especially becomes exquisite while on ecstasy,” he said via e-mail. “Part of the way music moves us is that it stirs our emotions, and ecstasy heightens positive emotion. So, imagine the most sweeping musical crescendo you've ever heard, and then on ecstasy it's times ten.”

David also mentioned that after using MDMA with music, he was unable to get the music out of his head and still remembers it today, several years later. He said even now similar music gives him a little bit of a “flashback.”

Iannone said he hopes his results will prevent people from putting themselves in greater danger by showing them the dangers of combining MDMA with loud music, but he’s somewhat pessimistic about the power of his results.

“I do not think that a scientific paper could change some situations,” he said. “We hope that it could contribute to making people [conscious] of the damage they do to themselves.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hitting a high E
FEB 16/06

Maggie Wittlin
Seed Magazine
http://www.seedmagazine.com/news/2006/02/hitting_a_high_e.php

Here's a link to the original article:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2202/7/13/abstract

<mod edit: Moved to Front Page, Fixed Formatting>

Last edited by a moderator:
i can believe that.......loud music at a certain decimal is suposed to have an effect on ppls brains anyway isnt it? same with flashing coloured lights

Ecstasy and loud music are a bad mix
16 February 2006
From New Scientist Print Edition
Andy Coghlan

PARTYGOERS who take the recreational drug ecstasy may face a greater risk of long-term brain damage if they bombard themselves with loud music all night long.

The warning follows experiments in rats that were simultaneously exposed to loud noise and MDMA, aka ecstasy. The noise both intensified and prolonged the effects of the drug on the animals' brains.

Michelangelo Iannone of Italy's Institute of Neurological Science in Catanzaro and his colleagues gave rats varying doses of MDMA while bombarding them with white noise for 3 hours at the maximum volume permitted in Italian nightclubs.

Those given the highest dose of ecstasy, equivalent to the average amount taken by a partygoer on a night out, experienced a slump in electrical power of the cerebral cortex for up to five days after the noise was switched off. Previous studies suggest that such loss of power is related to brain hyperactivity and can ultimately lead to depression.

Rats on high doses that were not exposed to noise, and those exposed to noise but given lower doses of MDMA, experienced equally large slumps in brain power, but these only lasted for about one day (BMC Neuroscience, DOI :10.1186/1471-2202-7-13).

Since the experiments were in rats, it is hard to work out what the results mean for humans, but they do suggest that we need to know more about how ecstasy users are affected by their environment. "The most important finding is that the effects of MDMA can be strengthened by common environmental factors, such as noise in discotheques," says Iannone.

His findings echo previous research by Jenny Morton of the University of Cambridge, who discovered that a combination of methamphetamine (or speed) and loud, pulsing music is much more damaging to mice than either stimulus alone (New Scientist, 3 November 2001, p 17). White noise had no effect on the mice in her experiments. "If Iannone's team had used loud, pulsing noise, their effects would probably have been even stronger," she says.

She agrees that more research into the combined effect of music and drugs on humans is needed. "It would be tragic to find that taking ecstasy in clubs as a teenager significantly increased the risk of mental illness in later life," she says.

Andy Parrott at the University of Wales in Swansea, UK, has carried out an analysis of the combined effects of ecstasy and environmental factors, which is expected to be published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology in April. "From the long-term health perspective, dances and raves may well be the worst venues in which to take MDMA," he says. "Dancing, heat and noise may all boost the acute effects of MDMA, but these same factors will also exacerbate the long-term adverse effects."

From issue 2539 of New Scientist magazine, 16 February 2006, page 11

Link: http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/mg18925393.800.html
(Subsciption required)

I doubt rats know how to enjoy music so these correlations are hardly scientific. I've said it before and I will say it again, rats are not people and except for some basic LD studies these are ridiculous.

Last edited:
I love this head line

Disco Rats Last Longer On Ecstasy

rats_dancing.jpg

A new study, published in BioMed Central's journal Neuroscience, has found that loud music prolongs the effects of taking ecstasy for up to five days.

The researchers, from the Italian Institute of Neurological Science and the University Magna Graecia in Catanzaro, showed that the reduction in rats' brain activity induced by MDMA (ecstasy, or 3,4 -Methylenedioxymethamphetamine) lasts long after initial administration of the drug if loud music is played simultaneously. The loud music effect can last for up to five days, whereas the effects wear off within a day when no music is played.

Researcher Michelangelo Iannone used three groups of rats in the experiment. The rats received either a high dose of MDMA (6mg/kg), a low dose (3mg/kg) or no dose at all. The rats were then either left without acoustic stimulation or exposed to sounds at a level of 95dB, a level commonly found in nightclubs.

Iannone then monitored the electrocortical activity (EcoG) of the rats using electrodes placed on their skull. Monitoring took place from 60 minutes before administration of the drug and commencement of the sounds, to up to five days after the sounds ceased.

The results indicate that low-doses of MDMA did not modify the brain activity significantly from those that received no dose, as long as no sounds were played. However, the EcoG total spectrum of the rats given a low dose of MDMA significantly decreased once the audio was played.

The high dose rats registered a reduction in brain activity, compared with both the no dose and low dose rats, and this reduction was exacerbated once the audio was turned on. In fact, the EcoG decrease lasted for up to five days after administration of the drug. In the rats that had been given a high dose of MDMA, but had not been exposed to the audio, brain activity returned to normal one day after administration of the drug.

The audio had no effect on the EcoG spectrum of the rats that received no MDMA.

Source: BMC Neuroscience

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20060115203449data_trunc_sys.shtml

Yeah I'm pretty sure anyone will get brain damage from getting 6*70kg=420mg of mdma IV'ed. That's 4 goddamn pills reaching 100% plasma concentration in 6 heartbeats 8(

I think these rats show proof of another phenomenon associated with E. I think the brain changes days after taking E shed some light on why first timers have the whole "new outlook on life" for about a week after using. Very interesting test IMO. Too bad they couldnt interview the rats and find out how enjoyable the high was when mixed with "music".

I can just see a bunch of rats dancing with their eyes wiggling and grinding their teeth, very funny picture.

perhaps we should also do a study on rats correlating the cleanliness of their cages to doses of methamphetamine.

i always felt loud music enhanced my rolls. i didn't know it was a chemical thing in the brain though. thats interesting

Well Ive always thought that it was more a psychological thing, but well my own experience from the last rave I went, made me kinda think the same as the scientist researched - I was already reached the peak but after that when DJ Pavo started the wicked hardstyle explosion, I nearly OD-d due to the 180 bmp bass hit( btw I usualy dont like hardstyle at all). Well ofcourse I had quite strong after effects days later, so I agree with the scientists, but rat vs human brain....I kinda doubt the identity:p

PARTYGOERS who take the recreational drug ecstasy may face a greater risk of long-term brain damage if they bombard themselves with loud music all night long.
Brain activity /= brain damage

At least most of the articles weren't disingenuous...

But it's possible that brain overactivity (ie: overexciting axon firing to the point of failure) could cause brain damage.

But I do agree, it was a little vague.

Naw i think thats bullshit, honestly yeah your sound gets more intense if theirs music, so if its louder ur obviously gonna trip out harder cuz ur concentrating on the music harder, like when you go to a rave why you think the music is so bomb there? cuz ur there for the music and its loud as fuck.

These scientists are majorly overinterpreting their results, hyping them to get mass media exposure. I am not surprised that there is a change in brain activity when MDMA is combined with music, though it is remarkable how long it lasts after the higher dose of MDMA. However, they provide no evidence that this change in activity is pathological.

Xelfer said:
Naw i think thats bullshit, honestly yeah your sound gets more intense if theirs music, so if its louder ur obviously gonna trip out harder cuz ur concentrating on the music harder, like when you go to a rave why you think the music is so bomb there? cuz ur there for the music and its loud as fuck.

did this guy actually make sense? all i get from this is, "naw, i think this is bullshit, cause obviously sound makes X better"

how the hell is it bullshit then?

They scientists are trying to stop us from using it because of this finding? Hell....the music is going LOUDER! :p !!!!!