• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Study: loud music makes ecstasy more potent

The pharmacokinetics of IV injection are waaay different from that of oral ingestion... my guess is that a good 50% of MDMA is elimated by first pass metabolism...then MDMA enters the bloodstream at a progressive rate until it peaks and declines, whereas with injection you just get the full-on, immediate effects of MDMA, with peak concentrations coming just a minute or two after injection.

An interesting journal, it does seem quite conclusive.

However, the beginning reads slightly unscientific, in the respect that straight away it portrays ecstasy in a negative light.. I wonder why this is.

Also there is always the problem of generalisation from animal models, and I have particular reservations with this animal model of such a high dose (injected). And - what did the rats DO while listening to music? Were they exposed to 95 DB CONSTANTLY? I think maybe these issues need to be adressed. It might be to do with MDMA + 95 DB + NO CONTROL OVER SOUND LEVELS = sustained lowered brain activation.
I am just speculating, but these points may not be valid. But; imagine being trapped in a room, with 95 DB if white noise and injected with 400mg of MDMA and having to stay there, :O let the rats have a chill out room with beanbags and a light show (as mentioned above), then check the brain damage!!!

Obviously I would like to refute this journal, but then that is my own bias setting in. The information given in it is incongruent with my own beliefs and lifestyle.
Anyhoo, trying to stay scientific, what does lowered brain activity actually mean? Can anyone clarify this for me, I take it that basically the energy of all action potentials is measured, and there was less overall electrical activity in the poor overdosed rats. What does this actually mean? Were the brain wave levels different? Also if it returned back to normal in 5 days what are the long term implications?
Maybe some 'cognitive' tests should have been administered to the experimental group, mazes etc.....
Im still goin to valve tonight anyway, the loudest soundsystem in UK!! :p

Nx