Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: [Herald Sun] - 19/07/2005 'Pill poison'

hoptis

Bluelight Crew
This is a continuation of the Herald Sun's drug insight theme this week, but today's articles are unrelated to yesterday's report on Victoria's first GHB death.

Mods: feel free to merge this into the other thread as you see fit.

Pill poison
John Ferguson and Michael Warner
19 Jul 2005

Insight report: Our tests reveal dance drugs contaminated with toxic chemicals

TENS of thousands of young Victorians are gambling with their lives on deadly cocktails of chemicals sold as ecstasy. The Herald Sun has uncovered fresh evidence of pills sold in Melbourne containing alarming ingredients such as horse tranquillisers, morphine, speed and nerve-numbing agents.

Victoria Police tests for Insight have highlighted a dramatic shift in the ecstasy market designed to fool users into using other drugs.

Police have found that drug makers are increasingly lacing tablets with a variety of other dangerous substances.

One of the chemicals discovered in ecstasy is used to treat dogs and cats for incontinence.

Four ecstasy tablets branded CK and tested by police for the Herald Sun showed MDMA -- the uncut form of ecstasy -- was absent as a key ingredient.

The police tests revealed a mix of ingredients, including the veterinary drug ketamine, anti-anxiety medication and the pain-killer morphine.

Of 89 batches of CK tablets seized and tested by police, only 18 had MDMA as the main drug.

"I think it's a case of Russian roulette. This is a very illicit, unstable market," Victoria Police drug analysis branch manager Cate Quinn said.

The Herald Sun's investigation also revealed:

TEENAGERS and twentysomething dealers are reaping up to $100,000 a weekend.

A 21-STRONG police unit has been formed to tackle the explosion in ecstasy dealing.

RECENT busts have failed to dent the demand and supply of ecstasy.

REAL estate agents are helping dob in drug dealers who use rented properties for makeshift laboratories.

ECSTASY is sweeping rural and regional areas, with hotels the focus of police attention.

VICTORIA is poised to set up a new drug alert system to help hospitals and ambulance drivers treat overdose victims.

THE nation's peak medical body is reconsidering its drug policy and opposition to ecstasy-testing kits.

MOST ecstasy is still made in Europe, but special MDMA labs are operating in Australia.

Insight yesterday revealed nurse Belinda Davey, 21, as Victoria's first fatal victim of the party drug GHB.

She died in February in a drug dealer's car outside a Melbourne club after taking a mouthful of GHB, knows as liquid E.

Crime Stoppers recently printed 200,000 brochures warning of the dangers of using ecstasy and amphetamine-based party drugs.

"They stimulate and affect the brain," the Crime Stoppers brochure says.

"They may cause collapse, cerebral haemorrhage (bleeding in the brain, stroke), seizure and heart failure.

"Ecstasy can cause confusion, depression, anxiety, sleeplessness, drug craving and paranoia."

Victoria Police examined 89 batches of CK brand ecstasy and discovered just 18 had ecstasy as the main drug.

The minimum ecstasy purity was 1.6 per cent, the maximum 53.3 per cent and the median purity 48.2 per cent.

These figures underpin the extraordinary range in purity, with many young users unaware that they are taking anything other than the already dangerous ecstasy.

Ingredients found in CK ecstasy tablets include ephedrine, caffeine, mianserin, ketamine, phenylpropanolamine, pseudoephedrine, procaine, acetylmethylamphetamine, morphine, formylmethylamphetamine and diazepam.

For the Insight investigation, forensic investigators examined four different ecstasy tablets seized by police.

The make-up of the pills varied from batch to batch. This is despite being stamped with CK, after the fashion label Calvin Klein but clearly without the company's approval.

The pills were of different colours and included subtle differences like bevelled edges, suggesting they were made in different drug labs.

Victoria's top drug investigator, Det-Supt Tony Biggin, said taking ecstasy was a huge risk.

"The broader issue with ecstasy is, of course . . . what are you taking?

"Pure ecstasy itself, which is MDMA, causes issues and of course people are taking pills that are called ecstasy but what are they?"

From Herald Sun

Study shows ecstasy's agony
by John Ferguson
July 19, 2005

PEOPLE who use ecstasy work their way there by experimenting with an average of 11 classes of drugs.

Many users had been on binges lasting numerous sleepless days and nights, research showed.

And one in four overdosed on an illicit drug in the previous six months; most likely on a substance other than ecstasy and most commonly GHB.

A ground-breaking study into young Victorians' ecstasy use revealed strong links between the drug and other harmful substances.
Advertisement:

As well as ecstasy, users are most likely to have recently used alcohol, methamphetamine powder, cannabis and crystal methamphetamine.

The study found almost half the ecstasy users reported better communication and sociability under its influence.

But the majority recognised they were taking risks with their health.

Concerns included memory loss, depression and doubts about the purity of the pills.

The Victorian findings of the Party Drug Initiative (PDI), a national study examining trends in ecstasy and related drug use, showed almost half the Melbourne respondents binged on drugs in the previous six months.

The use of other drugs was common among the 100 ecstasy users surveyed.

Respondents were typically in their mid-20s, lived at home or in rental accommodation and most had post-secondary qualifications.

The most common first-time ecstasy use by respondents was when they were 18.

The users reported having taken between four and 19 different drug types, with a median of 11.

The median length of the non-stop binges was 84 hours, with the longest lasting 10 sleepless days.

Ecstasy users often took other stimulants when the drug wore off to enable them to keep functioning and avoid a depressive let-down.

The National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre report provided a comprehensive breakdown of attitudes and habits of ecstasy users.

It reports on the Tuesday Blues, where users suffer mood downturns after weekend partying.

The report showed an ambulance was most likely to be called out between 4am and 5am on a Sunday -- with the incidence of negative or serious drug reactions requiring ambulance attendance rising steadily after midnight.

Hundreds of people received ambulance treatment for ecstasy-related incidents between March 2001 and December 2003.

One of the side-effects of ecstasy is it can hyper-energise users until the early hours of the day, explaining why complications such as overheating can occur just before dawn.

The NDARC surveyed users who had taken the drug at least once a month in the previous six months. They had to be 16 or older.

Fitzroy's Turning Point Alcohol & Drug Centre research fellow Jennifer Johnston said ecstasy use was widespread, but its harms were often overstated.

The majority of people using the drug did not report serious side-effects.

Ms Johnston said research showed youths were becoming suspicious of strong marijuana, which left users anti-social.

This could partly explain why so many switched to ecstasy.

Most users are likely to be working and/or studying but are unlikely to have been in prison.

From News.com.au - Herald Sun

Oh sure, pick on the CK's, which have a reputation of being crap anyways. Yes yes I know brands mean very little but if you look at the figures not only in this article but also on pillreports it's hard to deny that this reputation is justified.

They may have a point but they're taking only the very worst of it and ignoring everything else just to preach to the choir.

edit: though I can't really argue with the second article. Sounds about right to me.

^^ agreed, the second one's not to far from the truth, and there was only one part I didnt like in the first one :\

$100,000 a weekend? Jesus. Unless theyre dealing Kg's of coke or meth, I doubt it.

^^ Yea, if they made that much cash I would be dealing in a flash :\

i quit drugs 10 years ago before GHB became readily accessible. well at least i had never heard of it till after i stopped.

My Q is, is GHB called "liquid E"? i ave never heard it being called liquid E till reading all these crap, sensationalised articles.

cheer

fuzi

ANDO420 said:
There isnt to much lying in the second article mate:\

Maybe not, its mainly pointing out the extremes tho. I've never stayed awake for the "median length of 84 hours" thats nearly 4 fucking days! I haven't overdosed in the last 6 months, or ever! And I sure as hell haven't tryed anywhere near 11 classes of drugs!

I have however taken ecstasy every month or so for the last 3 years with bugger all problems, apart from the odd terrible tuesday. But of course the Herald-Sun only likes to report one side of the story.

The second article is based on the Party Drug Initiative from 2004, which was advertised in here and on pillreports. Generally the article is not too bad - the 'agony of ecstasy' title has been done before and doesn't really reflect the contents of the article (no surprises at the sensational headline technique!).

They have misreported the "median length of 84 hours". This is the median length of a binge for the porportion of the sample who said they had binged for more than 48 hours in the last 6 months. Less than half the sample said they did this, so it's misrepresented in the article...

Also they seem to represent the findings as related to ecstasy users in general. We have no way of knowing whether this sample represents ecstasy users generally - and we know that because we only speak to people who have used ecstasy once a month of more, that the sample does not represent more occasional users.

As for the front page, it's no surprise that some pills contain dangerous stuff. the question is, what do we do about it? It's good to see on page 4 the AMA are prepared to back pill testing if they can get evidence that it works. This is a step in the right direction!

VICTORIA is poised to set up a new drug alert system to help hospitals and ambulance drivers treat overdose victims.
This is something Enlighten could greatly contribute to later this year when we launch some of the initiatives we have been working on throughout the year.

Additionally, how long has it been since a cK was around? 89 batches would be old statistics probably from 1998 or earlier which would have a much higher % of adulteration than we find these days.

I love this, because its in pill form, it *must* have MDMA in it,
and it *must* be called ecstasy.

Cause there is no other form of pill, why would anyone want anything else???

The should get a party head to write there articles, if not that, a parrot. :p

Last edited:
I bought this for $1.55 while waiting for the bus (MISSED the damn thing while reaidng it though).. Damn that 55c tax for importing VIC papers! :p

Yeah, there's some down right crap in that first cover article. It's not like they're gonna ever put a pic of pillreports or Enlighten on the front page though. I didn't like how they had the ck pill and like 10 bubblesw coming from it ranging from "Horse tranquiliser" and "Addictive anti-anxierty / morphine chemicals" etc..

But there's an Enlighten mention and rumours on the govt settling for pill testing.

Interesting about that "fool proof laser technology" where ravers can scan their pill from home and match it with some sort of colour chart?

There isnt to much lying in the second article mate

Thats true, however from a statisticians perspective 100 users is not a reliable study population. To draw any reliable conclusions you would want to see a higher number of respondents from a wider socioeconomic base rather than just...

Respondents were typically in their mid-20s, lived at home or in rental accommodation and most had post-secondary qualifications.

I know it was brought up earlier in the thread, but this line has got me spinning out...

TEENAGERS and twentysomething dealers are reaping up to $100,000 a weekend.

WTF... that has to be an over exaggeration!8o 8o 8o

At least they are starting to realise the adulterants are the problem and not so much the MDMA. Hopefully this will help persuade the govt. to introduce a pill testing program for the public. This is positive criticism which will one day be a benefit to us all.If pill testing is introduced think of the effect it will have on adulterated pills, dealers will have trouble getting rid of them if we know there contents.

Actually I would take the exact opposite view.

While nothing in these articles seems ludicrously misleading or unfactual the overall thrust of it is still that 'ecstasy' is the problem, even when they are specifically stating that users are often not taking ecstasy.

One is still left with the distinct impression that the cure to this impurity must be to stamp out mdma use rather than a harm reduction approach, even with their token mention of pilltesters.

Joop said:
Maybe not, its mainly pointing out the extremes tho. I've never stayed awake for the "median length of 84 hours" thats nearly 4 fucking days!

agreed, good point, I dont think I could stay up for 4 days ONLY taking e (if I had a few grams of speed....maybe ;)) :\

Splatt said:
Interesting about that "fool proof laser technology" where ravers can scan their pill from home and match it with some sort of colour chart?

Yeah while wading through the propganda bullshit i saw this too. Can anyone shed any info on this and how it *may* work?

One is still left with the distinct impression that the cure to this impurity must be to stamp out mdma use rather than a harm reduction approach, even with their token mention of pilltesters.

Cyberdyne... I think you might be missing Goodfellas point. People are not going to just stop taking pills. End of story.

There have been a million horror stories (Anna Wood anybody?) but we still continue to do it. At least give users the ability to have a quick look at what they may be getting themselves into when taking a pill.

Sure running a test and finding out you aren't *just* getting MDMA may not disuade everyone from dumping that pill, it at least gives the user a choice.

Splatt said:
But there's an Enlighten mention and rumours on the govt settling for pill testing.

This is an incorrect paraphrase of what Johnboy spoke to the journalist about and isn't surprising that a complicated issue was construed. He was referring to other technologies which do exist that could be used at events in addition to reagents that would give a scientific analysis of the contents.

The article can be read here and is 200kb.

What is more interesting is the potential support from the AMA that Enlighten could recieve, and we will attempt to develop an AMA endorsed procedure that would be more difficult for the government to reject.

Last edited: