Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Melatonin

Christian Soldier

Ex-Bluelighter
What's the difference between the prescription-only melatonin and the OTC homoeopathic melatonin sold in Australia? The OTC one's active ingredients reads: 3mg Melatonin 6x. I've heard these ones are bullshit, anyone care to explain?

And don't worry about mentioning ordering normal melatonin from overseas. Thanks

I hardly think that OTC melatonin would be bullshit; you could sue for false advertising, misleading and deceptive conduct and fraud.

Well, I've tried OTC melatonin and in my experience it is the most bullshit product I have ever purchased.

It said on the side take 1-3 tablets sublingually, so the first time I had them I took 3 with no effect...and then another 3, and then another 3...nothing.

The next night I must have had about half the bottle, no effect.

Don't buy homeopathic melatonin, it is bullshit and DOES NOT WORK.

^ Don't be ridiculous! You can't say something is "bullshit" just because it doesn't work for a handful of people.

Thousands and thousands of people (myself included) regularly take this product. I find one 3mg tablet works fine. I will note that it's potentially not a powerful enough sedative to assist sleep after stimulant use, but for normal purposes it's fine.

How bad is your insomnia?

My experience wasn't after stimulants, just on a normal night. Do you have real insomnia? My experience as someone who has often had sleep difficulties that have really impacted on my ability to lead a normal life is that homeopathic melatonin is absolutely useless. Three times the usual dose should have done *something* right?

i've not tried otc melatonin but i have tried prescription melatonin.

i was told to take 5mg per night. the pharmacist questioned my script, saying that that was a really high dose. she said that she'd taken the drug and 3mg wiped her out. she also said that the only other person who she gave 5mg tablets to was this guy who was over 6 foot and 130kg. apparently 5mg completely wiped him out too. i'm female, so needless to say i got very very excited by the prospect of sleep.

i completed the script as directed but it had absolutely no effect on me. once or twice i even took two, and still nothing. (i would have liked to have the placebo thing going on) also, i never used it to sleep after stimulants - just for a normal night.

it sounds like melatonin has vastly different effects on people. i've not come across any other medication which i would say effects me in a way that's different to how it's essentially supposed to. i'd be interested if someone could offer a medical explanation.

As I understand, a homeopathic strength described as 3mg 6X, where the 6X signifies 10-fold dilutions six times over - i.e. 3 nanograms of melatonin, not 3 milligrams. The usual dose for sleep disturbance or jet lag is of the order of 3mg (a real 3mg), so the effect of the homeopathic product may be disappointing, to say the least. Unless, of course, the placebo response proves satisfactory.

Homeopathic melatonin, is not really melatonin. In laymens terms, this is the difference:

Prescribed Melatonin (and OTC Melatonin in the USA), are the same. they are the actual melatonin drug, sqaushed up in the tablet with usualy good effects. Homeopathic (the OTC oz version) is not the actual drug. Its like shaking up a bottle of water full of melatonon tablets, then claiming the water to be Melatonin (which they call homeopathic. Only a very small amount of melatonin gets through, which is what OTC, pharmacies sell. But generally, they dont try and pitch it at you, they pitch you the valerian, simply cos of melatonins homeopathic state here. So, either see your docter or order online.

You can also buy some interesting sleep concotions online. One combines 5-htp, Melatonin and Valerian. Im guessing that would garntee any rave-dude and good night sleep. But carefull of the amount per each tablet. It may not be worth it. I use this website.
[URL removed] ....BUT shipping to AUS is $++, so order at least 4 bottles of various stuff to make it worth it.

[Edit: Source info removed. I appreciate that you were trying to help but this is not permitted in Aus Discussion. It should suffice to mention that you can usually buy supplements such as this from the same online sources as you can get 5-HTP. They're not terribly difficult to find. BT]

Last edited by a moderator:
There we go, thought so, I agree with your explaination samson. What a rip-off. Buyers beware! Order from overseas..

I've tried valerian as well and I think that it's so weak that anyone with any real sleep problems (and anyone coming down off stims) wouldn't find much use in it.

I've read a few books on herbs and stuff which say that valerian is excellent for sleep but somewhat too strong, leaving you fucked the next day. I think the herb loses a lot of it's potency when it's converted from it's natural form to a convenient pill though, because I've taken shitloads of valerian with very disappointing effects, and certainly no hangover the next day.

Oh I've also tried some Chinese herbal stuff which you take with every meal that's supposed to give you good sleep after taking it for a little while, but I found that also to be bullshit.

I remember were I read it now it was in and email from the TGA saying that i needed a prescription to import melatonin.

^ I get mine sent from the States with my 5-htp, L-tyrosine, ALA and vitamin E and have never had hassles. I was under the impression that the law was the same as for 5-htp; i.e. you can only import a 3 month supply at one time.

Melatonin is prescription medicine in Australia so in theory customs should confiscate it. 5htp is not a prescription medicine thus would not be under the same controls as melatonin.

My further searches for information proved inconclusive but it seems the general consensus is that you *can* order up to a three month supply from overseas. Whether this is legal or not is another matter, but as I've said, I've not heard of anyone having theirs seized. Does anyone else have a different experience?

In theory you can only import something which isn't scheduled. Customs isn't likely to stop it though -- they're more interested in strange powders, drug precusors etc. They are there to enforce customs laws, not the medical acts. If you try import amphetamine, you'll get nailed. Importing prescription medicines won't usually cause a problem with customs.

Nevertheless its illegal to possess those medications without a prescription.

Why melatonin is prescription in Australia is beyond me. It's rediculously safe.

^ Not true about customs not enforcing medical act, I am sure if you tried to import valium they would have somthing to say about that. I think this should be in the same catagory.