• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

A Quote Thread....

A man told his grandson: "A terrible fight is going on inside me -- a fight between two wolves. One is evil, and represents hate, anger, arrogance, intolerance, and superiority . The other is good, and represents joy, peace, love, tolerance, understanding, humility, kindness, empathy, generosity, and compassion. This same fight is going on inside you, inside every other person too."

The grandson then asked: "Which wolf will win?" The old man replied simply: "The one you feed."

~anonymous

^^^--excellent quote.

I can't carry these sins on my back.
Don't wanna carry anymore.
I'm gonna carry this train off the tracks.
I'm gonna swim to the ocean floor.
So that we can begin again.
Wash away all our sins.
Crash to the other shore.--Madonna, "Ray of Light."

It's a little different now, but it can still be done.--Faust.

Upside down and inside out, 'bout to show all these folks what it's all about.--Elastic Breaks (Plump DJs).

Here I sit alone, an impotent exile.--Xorcist.

Only as you do know yourself can your brain serve you as a sharp and efficient tool. Know your failings, passions, and prejudices so you can separate them from what you see. Know also when you actually have thought through to the nature of the thing with which you are dealing and when you are not thinking at all.
~Bernard M. Baruch 1870-1965, American Financier
The most excellent and divine counsel, the best and most profitable advertisement of all others, but the least practiced, is to study and learn how to know ourselves. This is the foundation of wisdom and the highway to whatever is good. God, Nature, the wise, the world, preach man, exhort him both by word and deed to the study of himself.
~Pierre Charron 1541-1603, French Philosopher
If people can be educated to see the lowly side of their own natures, it may be hoped that they will also learn to understand and to love their fellow men better. A little less hypocrisy and a little more tolerance towards oneself can only have good results in respect for our neighbor; for we are all too prone to transfer to our fellows the injustice and violence we inflict upon our own natures.
~Carl Jung 1875-1961, Swiss Psychiatrist

ahem and this particular one reminds me of a certain poster in this forum ;)
The gods had condemned Sisyphus to ceaselessly rolling a rock to the top of a mountain, whence the stone would fall back of its own weight. They had thought with some reason that there is no more dreadful punishment than futile and hopeless labor.
~ Albert Camus 1913-1960, French Existential Writer

I am nobody's disciple. I don't belong to any belief system. I love people from all over the world and I never compare them. They are all unique: a Zarathustra is a Zarathustra, a Mahavira is a Mahavira, a Buddha is a Buddha, a Jesus is a Jesus, a Moses is a Moses... they are so unique that you should not make one of them a criterion that everybody else has to fit with.

~osho

Things that are real are given and received in Silence.

The West looks at things only from the standpoint of reason and logic, and is skeptical about things which baffle the intellect. Intellect is the lowest form of understanding and is simply developed by reading, hearing, reasoning and logic. These processes create an illusion of knowledge.

A higher state of understanding is permanent illumination, through which the illumined one experiences and sees all things as they are. In this state, one feels in harmony with everyone and everything, and realizes the divinity in every phase of life, and is able to impart happiness to others. Once this state is attained, one attends to all duties and material affairs, and yet feels mentally detached from the world. This is true renunciation.

The last and highest state of understanding is the merging of the soul into the Limitless Ocean of infinite bliss, knowledge and power. The Perfect One who has himself attained this freedom can make thousands perfect like himself. I intend bringing about a great spiritual revival in the near future, utilizing the tremendous amount of energy possessed by America for the purpose. Such a spiritual outpouring as I visualize usually takes place at the beginning or end of a cycle and only a Perfect One, who has reached the Christ state of consciousness, can make such a universal appeal.

~meher baba

^^^love that Osho quote :)

Life has no other discipline to impose, if we would but realize it, than to accept life unquestioningly. Everything we shut our eyes to, everything we run away from, everything we deny, denigrate or despise, serves to defeat us in the end. What seems nasty, painful, evil, can become a source of beauty, joy and strength, if faced with an open mind. Every moment is a golden one for him who has the vision to recognize it as such..
~Henry Miller
Acceptance of others, their looks, their behaviors, their beliefs, bring you an inner peace and tranquillity -- instead of anger and resentment.
~Source Unknown
One must not attempt to justify them, but rather to sense their nature simply and clearly.
~Albert Einstein 1879-1955, German-born American Physicist
Accept the place the divine providence has found for you, the society of your contemporaries, the connection of events.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson 1803-1882, American Poet, Essayist
Ah, when to the heart of man was it ever less than a treason to go with the drift of things to yield with a grace to reason and bow and accept at the end of a love or a season.
<3
~Robert Frost 1875-1963, American Poet

"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate,
but that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our own light, not our darkness, that frightens us.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are we not to be?"

- Marianne Williamson

I'm partial to babylon 5 quotes

"To live on as we have is to leave behind joy, and love, and companionship, because we know it to be transitory, of the moment. We know it will turn to ash. Only those, whose lives are brief can imagine that love .. is eternal. .. You should embrace that remarkable illusion. It may be the greatest gift your race has ever received."
Babylon 5, Lorien to Ivanova, Into the Fire

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~albert/Quotes/B5-quotes.html

Remember this: energy is neither anger nor love nor hate. Energy is simply energy - neutral. The same energy becomes anger; the same energy becomes sex; the same energy becomes love; the same energy becomes hate. These are all forms of the same energy. You give the form, your mind gives the form, and the energy moves into it.

So remember, if you love deeply you will not have much energy to be angry. If you do not love at all, then you will have much energy to be angry, and you will go on finding situations in which to be angry. If your energy is expressed through sex, you will be less violent. If your energy is not expressed through sex, you will be more violent. That is why militaries will never allow sexual relationshops for the soldiers. If it is allowed, the militaries will become absolutely impotent to fight.

~osho (again) :)

damn i love this book!

“There are so many hammocks to catch you if you fall, so many laws to keep you from experience. All these cities I have been in the last few weeks make me fully understand the cozy, stifling state in which most people pass through life. I don't want to pass through life like a smooth plane ride. All you do is get to breathe and copulate and finally die. I don't want to go with the smooth skin and the calm brow. I hope I end up a blithering idiot cursing the sun - hallucinating, screaming, giving obscene and inane lectures on street corners and public parks. People will walk by and say, "Look at that drooling idiot. What a basket case." I will turn and say to them "It is you who are the basket case. For every moment you hated your job, cursed your wife and sold yourself to a dream that you didn't even conceive. For the times your soul screamed yes and you said no. For all of that. For your self-torture, I see the glowing eyes of the sun! The air talks to me! I am at all times!" And maybe, the passers by will drop a coin into my cup.” -Henry Rollins

“You should have to pass an IQ test before you breed. You have to take a driving test to operate vehicles and an SAT test to get into college. So why dont you have to take some sort of test before you give birth to children? When I am President, thats the first rule I will institute.”
-Marilyin Manson

Man I am loving all the Osho quotes. I have to get that book for myself .:)

Never act familiar.
Never talk about your family.
Never share your sob stories.
Never volunteer information.
Never talk about your future plans.
Never talk about your dream purchases.
Never talk about cars and stereos, somehow this makes a client nervous.
Never desire to own what you see. You will own your own someday.
Never lie until you have to lie, and when you lie never believe your lie.

from the companion novices' morning play chants
History of the Companions

"Narrator: - When people think you're dying, they really, really listen to you, instead of just...
Marla Singer: - instead of just waiting for their turn to speak?"
- Fightclub.

"You'll never forget it, only regret it, that you had so much potential and never made it kinetic."

"More often-than-not, it is seen that highly developed souls become orphans in their early childhood so that they become free to operate in their spiritual world. This had happened with Shri Shirdi Sai and this also happened with Baba Tajuddin. His father expired when he was about one year old and his mother expired when he was only nine years old. The care of this orphan was taken over by his maternal grandmother and maternal-uncle Abdul Rahman. As a child, Baba started his education at the age of six in a local madrasa in Kamthi.
During this time a spiritually - developed soul, known as Hazrat Abdulla Shah, visited the madrasa and saw the child Tajuddin.
He immediately told the teacher - "Why are you teaching this child. He has got all knowledge from his past life." Saying thus, he took out a dry fruit (Khumani) from his bag, ate half, and put the other half in the mouth of the child saying "Eat less, sleep less and speak less. Read Quran”.
As soon as the child ate the dry fruit, God - consciousness dawned on him and for about three days he remained in a state of spiritual ecstasy.Obviously Hazrat Abdulla Shah had given Tajuddin the spiritual power or consciousness known as "Shaktipata" in Hindu Yoga system. Thereafter, the child was found to be always in a state of contemplation in secluded places.

At the age of 18, the financial condition of his maternal - uncle's house deteriorated due to floods. As a result, both Baba and his maternal - uncle searched for a job. In 1881, at the age of 20 Baba joined the Nagpur Army Regiment. Soon a contingent of the Regiment, where Baba was serving, was sent to a place called Sagar. At Sagar, Baba used to manage his duties as an army sepoy (soldier), somehow spending the best of the time in doing namaz and contemplation. Most of the nights he used to spend with a highly developed spiritual soul known as Hazrat Baud Saheb under-going spiritual practices. Hazrat Baud Saheb is, therefore, recognised as one of the spiritual masters of Tajuddin Baba. His absence from the army camp at nights, and his least regard for the service created problems from the higher authorities. One day, in a God-intoxicated state Baba suddenly submitted his resignation from the army and left the camp.

He then roamed about in the streets of Sagar like a mad man; without any sense of body. Soon his maternal grandmother heard of the news and took him away to Kamthi. She tried to get him cured through doctors and Hakims thinking that he was mad. The doctors and Hakims could hardly improve his condition as Baba Tajuddin's consciousness had, by that time transcended the gross and subtle body and was floating in the vast ocean of divine consciousness - beyond multiplicism and dualism of Nature. As the destiny of many spiritual seekers, children started throwing stones at him to which he would never react. The society around him discarded him to be useless for their purpose and declared him as mad and, therefore, humiliated him whenever and wherever they could.

However, miracles also started taking place around him. He would suddenly tell people about their past and warn them about future problems. One day in that Videha State (Beyond body state) he went near a British woman in a naked state. The horrified woman complained to the army authorities about such uncivilized behaviour. An army officer caught hold of him and got him admitted in the lunatic asylum of Nagpur on the 16th of August 1892. This is one of the biggest illusions of Nature (Maya) the mad people of the mad world declaring the Knowledge- Incarnate, who had come to redeem them of their worldly madness, as mad. But how could the authorities, confine a soul that is in a state of pure consciousness within the four walls of a lunatic asylum. As was the practice, the inhabitants of the asylum used to be locked up in barracks and cells at night. Similarly, Baba was also put in confinement under strict vigil.

Soon after he was locked up in the asylum that a strange incident took place that spread Baba's name far and wide. Baba was admitted in the lunatic asylum on the 26th August 1892. On the same day many people saw him moving freely in the streets of Kamthi, even after he was locked up. On the next day i.e. 27th an army sepoy, who, under the orders of the magistrate had brought Baba to the lunatic asylum the previous day, saw Baba roaming in the street. The shocked sepoy ran back and informed the British officer of the regiment, about it. The officer immediately rode his horse and searched for Baba. He ultimately found him sitting under a tree smiling at him. British officer was so enraged at seeing him moving freely that he straight away rode to the lunatic asylum at Nagpur situated at half an hour distance from Kamthi. He asked the doctor on duty “Where is that insane whom I sent here yesterday?” The doctor informed that he was in a locked room and also showed the officer where Baba was locked, and behold, the officer found the Baba Tajuddin was sitting inside the room in the same posture in which he had seen sitting under the tree only half on hour back smiling at him. On seeing the officer, Baba said. " Brother, you are doing your work and I am doing my work". The officer was so influenced by the divine personality of Baba that he instantly became his disciple and started visiting Baba on every Sunday with his family members. Thereafter, the asylum authorities were reconciled with Baba moving at various places inside the asylum compound and outside. Gradually, Baba’s name became so famous that thousands of people from near and far started lining up before the lunatic asylum everyday to have Baba’s darshan, blessing and help.
During his 16 years stay in the asylum, Baba cured thousands of people of diseases , granted children to the childless and took on his shoulders the responsibilities (both temporal and spiritual) of lakhs of his devotees.

Miracles are the way of functioning of the Masters. Since more often, they work through the subtle and mental mediums than in gross which ordinary mortals cannot perform, they are termed as miracles. The forces creating miracles are subtle forces of nature not yet discovered. Since the work of the Perfect Master precipitates hundreds and thousands of actions at different place at the same time, they employ the subtle methods. Those who have become mediums of miracles know for sure that there are definite principles on which the so called miracles operate. For them they are not miracles but a normal way of functioning at their levels of consciousness. "

"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance."--Oscar Wilde.

"A little learning is a dangerous thing."--Alexander Pope.

"'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."--William Shakespeare.