• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

"How real are internet friendships?"

Monster_ZERO

Bluelighter
How real are internet friendships?

Jeremy Stangroom

Many of the philosophers who have written on the internet have argued that internet relationships are in various ways diminished compared to everyday, embodied kinds. For example, Hubert Dreyfus in his On The Internet argues that ‘our sense of the reality of things and people and our ability to interact effectively with them depend on the way our body works silently in the background. Its ability to get a grip on things provides our sense of the reality of what we are doing and what we are ready to do…All this our body does so effortlessly, pervasively, and successfully that it is hardly noticed. That is why it is so easy to think that in cyberspace we could get along without it, and why it would, in fact, be impossible to do so.’

It is easy to understand why philosophers make these kinds of arguments. Many important facets of our personal relationships seem to require face to face contact. Dreyfus, for example, argues that trust in another person is in part based on the experience that they do not take advantage of our vulnerability when given the opportunity to so in a face to face situation. Even if one does not accept this, it does seem to be true that we can have a certain kind of confidence in people we meet in person which is not available in online relationships. Particularly, the opportunity for gross deception is minimised in a face to face situation. Gordon Graham, and countless others, have pointed out that it is very easy to deceive people on the internet by inventing wholly imaginary personas - something which it is much more difficult to achieve in the non-virtual world.

It is for these, and similar, kinds of reasons, then, that there is the belief that internet relationships are the poor relations of ‘real’, embodied relationships. However, one must be a bit careful before jumping too readily to this conclusion. One reason is that non-virtual relationships are subject to kinds of distortion which are largely absent from internet relationships. In a previous Word of Mouse, I noted the importance of physical attractiveness as a factor influencing the judgements we make about people. The significant point is that we make unwarranted inferences about people on the basis of our perception of their attractiveness. For example, as a consequence of what psychologists call a ‘positive halo effect’, attractive people are considered more intelligent, more moral, better adjusted, nicer, more sexually responsive and more competent than their less attractive fellows. And, of course, it isn’t only attractiveness that influences the judgements we make about people. We also take our cues from, amongst other things, age, sex, racial characteristics, style of dress, accent and social class.

The reason that these kinds of cues will often result in distorted judgements about people is because we make use of ‘implicit personality theories’ which rely on stereotyping. In other words, we tend to take our cue from these readily identifiable characteristics to place people into categories, and then we assume that they share the other attributes which we think are typical of the category. The philosopher Miranda Fricker has pointed to an interesting fictional example of this kind of process. In the novel To Kill a Mockingbird, set in Alabama in the 1930s, there is a trial of a black man. The all-white jury genuinely do not believe his testimony, even though it is clear he is telling the truth. The important point being that in that culture, at that time, being black was a marker indicating – quite falsely - a lack of credibility. Not surprisingly, it is easy to find real-life examples of stereotyping. For instance, Rodney Karr found that gay males were rated more shallow, yielding, tense and passive than males labelled as heterosexual.

The significant point about internet relationships is that the characteristics we rely on to make judgements about people in the non-virtual world are largely invisible in the virtual world. The irony here is that it is precisely that facet of internet communication that makes gross deception possible – the absence of a face to face relationship - which undermines our tendency to stereotype. It would be possible to overstate the significance of this fact. Even in relationships conducted entirely via the medium of the written word, we still make judgements about people which go beyond the evidence. However, it is likely that we do so largely on the basis of the actual content of our communication with a person, which, arguably at least, is more likely to be indicative of those aspects of a person’s character which they themselves consider to be salient.

The corollary of this point is that in our internet relationships we have greater control over which aspects of our character we present to other people than we do in our everyday relationships. Of course, this is why people worry about deception on the internet. And it is a real concern - the individual who adopts a false persona in order to procure a sexual encounter with a vulnerable person behaves badly. But it is only part of the story. If by controlling which aspects our characters we present to people online we are able to avoid the more pernicious effects of our tendency to make judgements on the basis of unwarranted stereotypes, then it is possible we will develop online relationships which are, at least in some ways, less distorted and more real than most of our everyday, embodied relationships.

What do you all think about internet friendships?

I believe that internet friendships are just as normal as physical friendships. In fact, on an internet relationship one can get a deeper connection with another person if they are both true to each other.

These kinds of relationships are as real as you allow them to be. I have people I consider friends from this board that I have known personally for 4 years... spent time together in "real-time", and even went through one significant love interest. Then there are the people I just talk to on-line and will probably never meet. It all depends on how much BOTH parties are interested in investing into the friendship.

internet friendships are fake. How the hell can you say you know someone when you havent even met them in person?

I have met quite a few people through the internet and most of them have become really good friends, even met a guy who I went out with for 2 years through the internet.

Thank you, TranceAggie, for your always enlightening, and positive responses

I have a few internet friends that I have known/talked to on a continuous basis for 4, almost 5 years.

It has never really expanded beyond the point of friendship on any case, and I like to keep it that way. Internet friendships are fun. I know lots of us on BL talk a lot, and there have been a few blers that I've met that I've gotten on quite well with in person, but that I didn't talk to at all online. :)

I'll bite my tongue in response to that.

but i will laugh on the inside.

Web hit it on the spot. They're as real as you allow them to be. From your actions regarding that statement, one can easily tell your opinion of the question at hand.

With that said, I think the Internet is a production palace for new, interesting, and potentially long-lasting relationships, however you approach them.

i think you're quite the optimistic one to think its all real randycaver.

for example, i might act like a very nice guy and compliment you everyday on some internet forum, and then one day when I move to the US I'll ask for us to meet up. I'll make a nice first impression, act all nice, and then after the 3rd or 4th visit, I would invite you somewhere public, get you drunk and then kill you.

Sure, I add a fuckload of smileys to my posts and act cute and cuddly, but I could very well be a serial killer. You just don't know. You're putting too much faith in the goodness of mankind, sweetheart.

Granted, this can be applied to people you see on a daily basis as well. I mean, you never REALLY do know anybody.

But you can't ignore the fact that an internet buddy can decieve you with much, much, much more ease than a real-life, physically-present buddy could.

And don't forget, I'm going to kill you.

^Deception is a common thing, but I have to say in my own experience (after meeting well over 100 bluelighters and others from the internet), 99.9% of the people I've met have been completely honest about themselves and their lives... some of them TOO honest.

I still have my head attached... for the moment.

ya, i have a tendency to be brutaly honest.

Oh well, i dont give a shit what anyone else thinks, hehe

247 said:
i think you're quite the optimistic one to think its all real randycaver.

for example, i might act like a very nice guy and compliment you everyday on some internet forum, and then one day when I move to the US I'll ask for us to meet up. I'll make a nice first impression, act all nice, and then after the 3rd or 4th visit, I would invite you somewhere public, get you drunk and then kill you.

Sure, I add a fuckload of smileys to my posts and act cute and cuddly, but I could very well be a serial killer. You just don't know. You're putting too much faith in the goodness of mankind, sweetheart.

Granted, this can be applied to people you see on a daily basis as well. I mean, you never REALLY do know anybody.

But you can't ignore the fact that an internet buddy can decieve you with much, much, much more ease than a real-life, physically-present buddy could.

That is why people pick and choose their friends.

I'm quite sure that no matter how many smiley faces that you put after a sentence, I would never like you.

Mods, are all these death threats necessary? This is ridiculous...8(

I don't know that I would really consider it a friendship if I just talked about shit with someone online. Although I have met people from bluelight and many other boards in person and I would say that they have all been about what they talk about on the boards. I have had some people from message boards show me around when I was in their town and vice versa. I have had them introduce me to their friends and it has really helped me out in different occasions. I have gotten promotional jobs that got me into parties for free from the internet as well. I am glad that I post on this board especially because the Europe bluelighters that I have met seem to be good people. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by 247

Originally posted by randycaver
Mods, are all these death threats necessary? This is ridiculous...8(

I think it was more sarcasm than a legitimate death threat, but unnecessary all the same. Try to show a little respect, folks - it's not necessary to be a smartass to get a point across.

They're real so long as you see the people regularly, just like you normally would with friends from uni, work etc and don't just chat online all the time.

Relationships are different - if long-distance, not v. real I don't think. Just my experience though, I would imagine heaps of people would have had positive experiences.

Oh and I think you need a healthy mix of online and real life friends. Life shouldn't all be about the net.

Many of my close friends i tlk to on the internet (msn) regularly, and i have made some friends on the internet before meeting them in person.

Though i do find it strange when i have talked in much depth to people on the internet and meeting them in person, its like you know them well, but you've never actually met them, its very strange - but it can work.

physical contact remains the essential cement that can hold together online or displaced relationships.

i can't post about this further because of work constraints, but i will try to later. in the meantime, i'll simply say this:

the only people who have come to visit us in all three of our houses were from bluelight.

247, couldn't you say that about all people you meet? People decieve others in person as well....
I could meet you at college and seem perfectly normal. We could go on a date and again act like a perfect angel (instead of :) :) :) and giggles though, you could actually see them). Then the next time I come over I slash you with a knife.

See what I'm saying?