• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Dreadlocks

PoetessAurora

Bluelighter
I'm seriously contemplating growing dreads. I'm thinking about thin ones, nothing bigger than say a pencil. I'm white so it may be hard for me or so I hear.

If you've got dreads:

*How did you grow them?
*How long you have you had them?
*Hard part about having dreads?
*Removing them?

Everyone else:

*What do you think of dreads on white girls?
*Would I look okay with dreads?

Here's a picture of me

http://www.bluelight.ru/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6218&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=2

Be honest!

I don't have dreadlocks, and for the moment, don't really have any plans for them. However, I can give you my personal opinion on them. I think they look great on any woman, white, black, or purple, to be real honest with you. I'd even go so far as to highly encourage you to get them. I think you would look just fine :)

PoetessAurora said:

*What do you think of dreads on white girls?

Despite common misconceptions, dreads have been worn by nearly every culture - so don't sweat the fact that you are white.

I will suggest that you go for a dreadperm (it gives you dreads in one day as opposed to months of training them), all you need to do is properly maintain them.

Yes, you can swim with dreads, but they must be firmly "set" first, or they will completely unravel.

Maintainence is everything with dreads - you must make sure that you are rolling them up with wax once a week, and including any stray hairs, so your dreads don't branch out at become thin little sticks.

Typically, you should wash them no more then once a week (or 4x's a month) and taking a salt water bath will help "set" your dreads.

(This is all I learned when I trained to do dreadperms, BTW, I'm not just making it up ;))

Oh, and if you aren't sure if they are right for you, get some fake dreads or dread falls and wear those for a bit - just to see if you look right with dreads.

I did =D

recent_ext.jpg

dkrave5.jpg

I know, I know, not totally "realistic" but I loved 'em.....

Where do I get fake dreads? It sounds like a good plan to test out fakes before the real deal. Kind of like test driving a car.

I think dreads are great on guys or girls (black, white, or any other race basically) as long as they are well taken care of so they look good. I have seen some pretty nasty looking deadlocks too. Like my boss. He didn't really do anything to take care of his and they started all clumping together into huge matted chunks. And then he would rip them appart or cut them appart with scissors. It looked really gross. But if you take care of them, I think you would deffinately look great with dreadlocks.

PoetessAurora said:
Where do I get fake dreads? It sounds like a good plan to test out fakes before the real deal. Kind of like test driving a car.

The best resource for fake dreads (in my opinion) is here. There is general info, a forum, and shops & links. If you go on the forum, I'm misscelestia :)

Fake dreads = fun. Of course, I'm into all kinds of weird stuff when it comes to my hair, in case you haven't noticed ;)

chrissie said:
mos should come visit me and give me a dreadperm :D

I'd love to, but the drive from OH to CT would kill me ;)

I think dreads look awesome on girls :) and I'm not a hippie or anything at all, I just think they can look awesome

I'd like to have somewhat long hair, but my hair is really thick and likes to stick out totally random ... I'd keep it shaved but its a bit too cold right now, and I've given up caring what I look like lol

just as l.ong as your boss doesn't kill you then you should go for it... nothihng sexier than a guy/girl with well maintained dreads...

ive had dreads for a little over 2 years now...

there are about a million ways to dread your hair. i can only offer you my own personal advice:)

to start:

1. wash your hair with a shitty non-moisturizing bar of soap. this will cause your hair to become nasty and dry = good for dreading. DO NOT CONDITION!!!

2. space them out as best you can, then start backcombing the shit out of it. make sure you get the roots really tight up on your scalp. when you think youre done backcombing......work on them for a couple more hours=D. id recommend a friedn help you with the back (your arms will get very tired.)
[i did mine all by my lonesome, took me about 7 hours %) ]
oh, and your head should hurt like shit for the next couple days:)

3. for the first week, backcomb every day!!! and be sure, when your hands are free, to play with them [i still play with mine, it'll become habbit]

4. wait about a week (maybe a bit longer) to wash them. just use that same bar of soap. and be sure to [gently] wash your SCALP ONLY. also make sure that you blow dry your hair every time you wash it. you dont want your dreads getting all mildewy!

from then on, just play with them allll the time. they should be pretty tight in about 4 months [mine were.] you'll just wake up one day and your hair will be all dreaded, its pretty fucking cool how they just do their thang once you get them started.

oh and i personally dont use wax. it just makes them all nasty and waxy if you ask me. but if you do choose to wax: Knotty Boy is where its at (their products kick much_ass)

Hard part about having dreads:

some [most] find it hard to land jobs. i [accidently] used them to my advantage. it turns out that trendy restaraunts like oh_so_trendy dready locked hippie waitresses, its makes them look cool or something...or so my boss tells me

soem people just arent cut out for it. for the first 6 months or so the things can get to looking pretty ferocious. around this time is when lots of people throw in the towel....wussies. you just have to keep in mind that there is light at the end of the tunnel!!

honestly though, for me there is no hard part about having dreads. it just kicks ass!

as for you:

i hate tiny little dreads so my opinion will be slightly bias. if you cant put a fat dread bead on it, than its no good!!! %) but yeah, evvvvvvveryone should have dreads=D...well, not EVERYONE. but seriously, if you want to, and you can handle the idea of cutting them off at some point, than just go for it

How do you get rid of them?

scissors my dear

...i could honestly talk about dreads alllllll night =D....but i wont bore you:)

pm me if you have any questions, hell ill even help you out [we live in the same city]...heh heh, you smoke me up and ill dread your hair;)

hope this helps

~YEUX

I don't like them at all, I think they look awful - just personal opinion though. If dreads will make you happy, go for it.

I've always wanted dreads myself and should have done it when I had my long hair cause I couldn't be bothered growing it again now. I think they look cool if they are well maintained :)

I have to disagree with justsomeguy here - I can only dig on well maintained dreads. To me, the sloppy ones just look like a dirty mop....

:\