• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Dreadlocks

Yeah, calling any form of dreads "neat" and/or "not sloppy" is kind of an odd statement. Dreadlocks are essentially supposed to be nasty. Its just how they are. Whatever you want to do is up to you though!

In high school I had dreads, and was the only person out of 2000 who had them...people would ask my friends if I smelled. Because obviously, if you have dreads, you naturally don't shower...8)

Anyway..I kept mine for two years, but just got sick of them. Don't regret it though! Here's how I did mine:

1. My hair is pretty straight and fine, so I permed it first with a home perming kit, to make it easier to dread.

2. Used a combination of Knotty Boy wax and the shampoo after that to start the dreading.

3. Putting rubber bands at the top for a little while helped the hair to form into the dreads. But your hair is naturally curly or wavy, you might not need them.

4. Waxed mine every other day and then used a blow dryer to sort of "melt" the wax in the hair.

5. Played with them daily! My teachers would get pissed at me because I would be just sitting and playing with them the whole class. And it definately becomes a hobby.

Good luck!! :)

I have locks and I sweat my hair ALLOT!!

*How did you grow them? I have my friend braid my hair to lock. And don't use bees wax or any wax-type products or gels (they make your locks hard like brillo-pads). I use coco-butter and its all natural and it works. It gives your hair shine & hold without making it hard and it holds the braids or twists. Theres also another technique to growing locks and its called crowshey(sp?) Its a french word which I KNOW I didnt' spell right, but when I go to have my hair retwisted either I get a crosie or just get my new-grow retwisted. Just depends how much my hair has grown since the last time. ANd this girl is my good friend so she only charges me $25

*How long you have you had them? I've been growing mine for about a year now.

*Hard part about having dreads? Hard part is the mainteniance in my opinion. Because I have a professional job (electronics engineering technician), I can't let my locks start loosening up too bad or looking all fuzzy and nasty. So every month I have my locks retwisted to keep them looking fresh & growing. And by all means have someone who knows how to lock hair do it, don't have your friend who thinks they know how to do it, do it, cause thats when it really looks nasty. Dreadlocks are professional excepted in the business world or anywhere else, its just how you maintain your hair and looks. If your locks look like shit, offcourse then what do you expect when you don't get the job. I've gone on interviews proudly sporting my dreads. Its really not about my locks, its my ability to do the work that decides if I get it or not

*Removing them? SHIET, I've never even thought about removing mine yet, well becasue I'm loving having locks & growing them out, but I've heard that they can be removed with out having to cut your hair. It all depends how hard and thinck your locks are. And if you have braided locks or twists.

*What do you think of dreads on white girls? locks on anybody looks good, just depends on the style you're going after, & the length you want your hair to be, and offcourse how well you maintain them so that they look good on you.

*Would I look okay with dreads?you would look good with them. Just if its something you want, just go for it. And it depends on the texture of your hair, just have someone that knows how to lock hair look at your hair.

and I wouldn't suggest swimming in dreads. Well unless you're sure your hair has locked becasue they will start to seperated due to the chemicals in pools. Taking showers with locks, I do and they hold. The ones that come loose, I just simply retwist the few like my friend had thought me.

and some people use extensions to see if they'll like having locks, or they use extensions to even-out their locks and I think that weak. If you can't grow your hair naturally with out any extensions, then getting locks isn't what you should be getting then. Yes, my hair has been growing and some locks are longer then the other, but just cutting and grooming nicely the long ones you can achieve evenness and them still being natural looking

anyways good luck sweetie

poetess I've been telling you to get dreads for..I don't even know how long. You would look good with them, but I don't think you should get thin little pencil ones, alittle thicker than that, hun.

Re: Re: Dreadlocks

MOS said:

I will suggest that you go for a dreadperm (it gives you dreads in one day as opposed to months of training them), all you need to do is properly maintain them.

in one day?

gimme a break.....

i made dreads from fake hair (a la MOS's link) and it was very easy to do... the hard part was attatching/finding someone to attach them for me properly and well
they were loads of fun too i loved having them in

wanderlust said:
i made dreads from fake hair (a la MOS's link) and it was very easy to do... the hard part was attatching/finding someone to attach them for me properly and well
they were loads of fun too i loved having them in

Funny you should mention that - I sold them there for quite awhile.

in one day?

gimme a break.....

Exactly what is the problem? Yes, in one day - more like 4 hours. Saves you 4 months of the in-between time.

^^^

yeah, but they're not dreaded in four hours. they might look like dreads, but they're not.

No they aren't solid dreads - they are ratted, twisted, and permed into place. You need to roll them, with a light pomade once a week and a little sea salt bath every once and again.

But one hell of a lot less work, and faster results. Isn't the point to have nice dreads?

^^^

i suppose that might be a point for some :) and more power to them.

but the point for others is simply to not have to fuck with their hair. that is, not to have to roll them, pomeade them, sea salt them, and stuff like that.

Well, most often, if you don't maintain them, you don't actually get dreads... you get a messy mop of hair. Unfortunately to keep the dread shape, you need some maintainence - it's a neccessary evil that occurs no more then once week. :/

But, to each their own :)

^^^^

yeah, but maintence doesn't require dropping some flow on a perm, and wax, and whatever else you want poetess to buy.

just move your hair in clockwise circles with your hand in the shower every week or so.

justsomeguy said:
^^^^

yeah, but maintence doesn't require dropping some flow on a perm, and wax, and whatever else you want poetess to buy.

1 - I don't want her to buy a damn thing. I'm merely suggesting a way to get dreads faster.

2 - Maintainence does NOT include a perm at all - and I never implied that it does. Maintaining your dreads is something that most people do on some level or another - be it only twisting, or more. That's up to the individual.

You are reading way too much into what I have posted.

The Naked Lunch said:
I don't think you should get thin little pencil ones, alittle thicker than that, hun.

Ditto, you would like nice with them. Thicker would work better with your features though, (in terms of how they hang)

Most experience i have with dreads is helping my good friend rewax his every now and then. Hell, even i got into the habit of always twisting his hair. (it IS addictive.) I must say a male who sports dreads, groomed or not, is definetly an eye catcher for me.

well, you said "i suggest you go for a dread perm" in your first post, so that's still what i'm kinda bagging on.

whatever you do, patience is the key...

good topic. im going to dread up my hair later this year. im planning on letting the pacific ocean do alot of the work for me, it worked when i was 13 and i snorkled all week without leaving the beach. :) i have also found meth to lock up hair incredibly effectively(though in no sense of the word neatly). im counting on a few friends with locks to teach me how exactly to train mine into shape.

good luck!