• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Would the end of the universe really be all that bad?

rewiiired

Bluelighter
Would the end of the universe really be all that bad? I mean, it would kind of suck if it just popped out of existence and all, but if we knew ahead of time that in, say, three weeks all would be gone, would it be so horrible? I mean, we'd have time to celebrate. Meditate. Intoxicate, copulate, etc.

It'd be like those snow days in high school, but on a cosmic scale.

It'd be like the way you've got to imagine Raymond K. Hessel felt when Tyler Durden held a gun to his head in the back of the convience store he worked at and told him he was going to die. I mean, forgetting for the moment that it was only a damn good movie (and a book I can't get ahold of) and not real life and all.

And during this universal TTFE, you'd get to see humanity at it's finest and worst -- at it's most intense, it's purest, it's most honest. Can you imagine the kind of things that would be happening? You can only see into people, I mean really see into people, in their most intense moments, when they're caught off guard, when they're cast into a new situation that they don't have pre-programmed responses to. The end of everything? That would throw everyone into the unknown. We'd all be psychologically naked, stripped to the bone, revealing aspects of ourselves we never would've had the excuse to otherwise, even without trying to do so.

Everyone would evolve on a personal level in days that would have otherwise taken us lifetimes. Fucking lifetimes.

Of course the thought has always terrified me, but it excites me as well. It would be so interesting.

I say bring on cosmic doomsday. Your stories of the Russian Doomsday device doesn't scare me, Dr. Strangelove. Anyone with me?

"Anyone with me?" Sure why not! ;)

Really though, my bet would be that there would be mass destruction and mass chaos throughout the world if something like this were happening. It would be a ninteresting idea for a movie, but at the end of the movie the uni actually does end and isnt saved by the hero of the movie.

nah i'd be pissed the fuck off....i haven't been working my ass off in school all this time to have the world end before i'm dr. fizzy ;)

i'm fine with it ending without me getting any advance warning....i do all the snuggling, hugging, loving, fucking, eating good foods and indulging in great wine that i'd do if the world was ending anyway... :) i'm a hedonist like that...

Mein Fuhrer, I CAN WALK!

Very interesting indeed.

Story idea:
Someone convinces the masses that the universe IS coming to an end. The sudden personal evolution by everyone you mentioned eventually causes the end.

It makes sense. You see people for who they really are in the choices they make under stress.

What's more stressfull than the end?

I'm all about experiencing new stuff... the end of everything would probably be on the top of my list of things I'd like to see... for everyone to actually have to stop pretending that there is always tomorrow they can't go on living life like they use to... to watch everyone in the world realise that in 2 weeks or so, they will be dead... I would probably be one of the few people enjoying the end... suppose that makes me sadistic in a way... but hey, there is no better way to die ;)

Probably why I like that movie "Deep Impact" so much... just cause in the end, a good portion of the world is destroyed :D

Another question, on topic: if you were to know the exact minute the universe was going to end, where would you go to watch it? I think I'd go to the ocean. I'd want to sit on a grassy hill. It'd be cool if it happened after sunset, because I'd want to watch a last sunset and still have the beauty in mind when it all goes bye-bye. I'd also like to see the stars for the last time. Big, clear, open sky. Then... poof. :)

^I might want to be on a beach too...Hmmm...Or maybe on a mountain top somewhere looking out over say the Rockies or something...I dont know that is tough, but i do know i would want to it be at night, a clear night filled with stars, and maybe there would be some type of celestrial grandfinale in the sky as the uni ended...That would be how i would want it to be. And for some strange reason i think i would want to be alone, no family, no friends, just me and my existence that is coming to a certain end. I would say goodbye to my loved ones before the end and then go off by myself to experience the end of all existence and share my last moment with only myself, my thoughts, and it (existence).

i think i'd die from all the chaos..i mean right now im already disturbed by the fact that i CANNOT see and do everything...even while im in the biggest club in peru im thinking about how much bigger and cooler the raves are in, say...england or new york, and it pisses me off that im not there enjoying the 'better things'
i wouldnt know what to do if i knew i had only 3weeks left to live so many things to do so little time...i'd go mad

I think that I would probably center myself and my thoughts before the end... so I would probably want to spend the last couple minutes with someone I love... sounds corny I know, but all I know is that I would want the last thing I see is looking into the eyes of someone I love very much... that's my favorite thing to do as it is, and I think it would be a fitting thing to do before I die...

call it cliched.. but if the world was to end... i'd like to die holding hands with a loved one..

I would enjoy sex on acid more than sex on mdma. Especially if it was the end of all things.

Melting, like cheese in a microwave.

If it was the end of the universe I don't think you would need the acid, reality itself would be tearing apart, inlcuding ourselves, probably very painful, I think I like the universe the way it is. Well except Jupiter...

What've you got against Jupiter? It's not as cool-looking as Saturn, but...

Would the end of the world be that bad?

"Patch Adams" -

God creates man. Man suffers enormous amounts of pain. Man dies. Maybe you should have had a few more brainstorming sessions prior to creation. You rested on the seventh day, maybe you should have spent that day on compassion.

8)

I think not...

Shal.

I figure dieing during the end of the universe is no different then dieing normally. Only difference is that everyone and everything else is going during the same event or time period. I guess its a unique once in a life time event so it could be interesting, but death it just death.

Maybe our own universe was created during the death of another universe, or during the collision of multiple dimensions. Hmm.. Dunno. Would be one heck of a ride.

But ultimately I feel death is a transition and the end of the universe wouldnt be the end of everything. Just the end of this. The universe ending sure would be crazy though.