• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Would the end of the universe really be all that bad?

Wait -- it's offical that Pluto isn't considered a planet anymore? Are you serious? That makes me sad. I always had it planned that when I did soemthing strange, as I often do, someone would look at me really snotty-like and say, "what planet are you from?"

And I'd say, in a monotone vocie, with an expressionless face: "Pluto. It's very cold there." And turn around and walk away.

I remember hearing them talking about how Pluto could be considered something else -- a large asteroid, if I rememebr correctly, but I don't always remember correctly, especially after my shitty third-shift job -- but never that it was official. That's depressing.

Fuck it, it's all semantics anyway.

And Void: yeah, deadlines tend to put things into perspective. End of the universe would be the big mama of all deadlines. I still occasionally suffer from the eternalist delusion that we'll exist after our biological bodies die, and sometimes the nihilistic delusion that we'll cease to be when that thing in our chest stops it's rythmic thu-thumping. What I realized is that even if we aren't mortal -- who the fuck knows -- it's useful sometimes to think that way. The threat of our own extintinction grabs our attention, focuses our energy. Thinking of that on a personal scale is crazy enough. Worldwide? Damned whacky. Universally? Damn, what a time it would be. We'd be so honest. So fucking free. So fucking alive.

rewiiired said:
And Void: yeah, deadlines tend to put things into perspective. End of the universe would be the big mama of all deadlines. I still occasionally suffer from the eternalist delusion that we'll exist after our biological bodies die, and sometimes the nihilistic delusion that we'll cease to be when that thing in our chest stops it's rythmic thu-thumping. What I realized is that even if we aren't mortal -- who the fuck knows -- it's useful sometimes to think that way. The threat of our own extintinction grabs our attention, focuses our energy. Thinking of that on a personal scale is crazy enough. Worldwide? Damned whacky. Universally? Damn, what a time it would be. We'd be so honest. So fucking free. So fucking alive.

Yeah something like that would sure mess with your 5yr plan.

I think that both those delusions are real. When you die you cease to exist in this form, everything to do with it ends, but the deepest and eternal parts of you go on.

Though I think that deadlines are good. Its kinda like that buddhist thing how they say you only have a limited number of breaths in life. Makes you reflect. But I dont think unversal desturction would not necessarily make people feel free and alive. Thats a perception that you can instil in yourself, but external forces wont necessarily cause it to occur.

I think most people would just go temperarily insane, their own issues and hangups would be pushed to the extreme. Very few would feel truly free or alive. IMHO it would be more of a case that people would feel unstable and lost, cause even though little is certain, people tend to create their own stability in uncertainty.

I wanna live forever!!!!!!!!! But if I knew when the end was coming, I'd definitely do a bunch of things I wouldn't normally do...

Sadly, though, when the universe does come to an end, there won't be any fanfare or tearing asunder of reality, just a metaphorical squeak as the last photons decay and heat death occurs.

It ends not with a bang, not a whimper, but a motherfucking sqeak? Cool.