• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Changing bong water

I really would rather smell the stench of feces all around me than take one whiff of some really nasty bong water. It seriously makes me gag every time, even after years of being used to being around it. lol!

wow my bong used to have the same water for months on end till someone else bothered to clean it, though the downy got cleaned every few weeks

The fact that the water in the bong is supposed to trap a lot of the carcinogenic chemicals makes me think drinking it isn't one of those ideas that are going to get you the Nobel ...

I don't change my bongwater often at all, only when a friend requests it. Usually about 1-2 months per change. Clean it with 420 or Orange Cleaner about 4x a year. My bong doesn't smell rank at all, I don't see why all your prissy girls get so freaked out about it. Haha.

I forgot about a bong hidden behind the bookshelf and after 3 weeks it had mould or some other growth in the water.

On the other hand, my friends have used the same bong without changing the water for 3 weeks and have had no growth.

It must be that growth doesn't like being agitated.

I change it before I smoke, and I wash it out right after. Keeps it smelling fine. I never leave water in my bong. No way. Stinks too much. Cheers. :)

gugglebum said:
The fact that the water in the bong is supposed to trap a lot of the carcinogenic chemicals makes me think drinking it isn't one of those ideas that are going to get you the Nobel ...

Bongwater partially filters tar, which is considered carcinogenic to the lungs.. Not the rest of the body... However, contrary to popular belief, bongs are not healthier than joints or pipes, at least when it comes to tar..

Bongs filter more THC than they do tar, which means you have to take in more smoke(bigger hits = more tar) to make up for this lack of THC..

However, this is probably a minute difference when comparing joints.. A bong will cool the smoke considerably though, which is alot better for your throat and lungs than pipes and "junts".

9baller said:
I change it before I smoke, and I wash it out right after. Keeps it smelling fine. I never leave water in my bong. No way. Stinks too much. Cheers. :)

If I got up after a heavy session to go clean the bong, I think my friends would all run out of the house screaming: "RUN, HE´S NOT A POTHEAD - HE'S A NAAARRRCC!!!!!" =D

--- G.

lol, most of the time, if i happend to get up after toking a few bowls to go clean my bong, i would probably walk into the kitchen on my way to the bathroom, forget what i was doing, put the bong on the counter, and go back and sit down again

Exactly - if you can actually manage to clean your bong after a session you need to get better pot =D

--- G.

If the bong is lingering near your computer and you're sitting typing, sometimes the smell can get unbearable. I usually empty a bong shortly after use, sometimes if there's a closet to put it in I'll leave it full though. Every once in a while a good clean with rubbing alcohol does a great job on anything glass (pipes/bongs).

x420 said:
USE RUBBING ALCOHAL AND GRANULATED SALT. I like isopropyl better than ethyl. Cheap and cuts right thru the resin. Put some rubbing alcohal and salt in and shake vigorously. Be very careful not to bump it against the counter or the sink or whatever. Repeat if necasary.

This is the method I use, works great. 3 good shakings and it's almost like new.

On the bong water subject, I try to change mine after 2-3 sessions. I have a cheap glass 1 footer that doesn't hold a lot of water, so even after 1 bowl it's pretty nasty. I find that hits get much harsher after the water gets tainted.

Last edited:
i usually go a week at a time without cleaning mine, and it gets use everyday, the longest i've been without cleaning is about a month, but never right after a session

silverfucked said:
Bongwater partially filters tar, which is considered carcinogenic to the lungs.. Not the rest of the body... However, contrary to popular belief, bongs are not healthier than joints or pipes, at least when it comes to tar..

Bongs filter more THC than they do tar, which means you have to take in more smoke(bigger hits = more tar) to make up for this lack of THC..

However, this is probably a minute difference when comparing joints.. A bong will cool the smoke considerably though, which is alot better for your throat and lungs than pipes and "junts".

I've heard so many people tell me that bongs loose thc in the water. This makes no sence to me whatsoever. THC is NOT water solluable. You would loose some THC in a bong if you say, used alchohol in place of the water. No doubt though that if tar is left in the water, the THC that is IN that tar might get left behind...but it's not as if the water is a solvent that can absorb THC.

^^^ Solubility isn't an all-or-nothing thing - it's not like some things ARE soluble in water and some things AREN'T. It's a scale - how many moles of the stuff can you dissolve per liter of solvent at room temperature? THC just happens to be a lot less soluble in water than in other things. Water is a highly efficient solvent, so it *does* filter out some of the THC - but not enough to really make that much of a difference. Also the temperature of the solvent has a lot to do with how much it will dissolve - so putting ice in the bong not only makes for smoother hits, it also filters out less THC (i just thought of something that THC could stand for: the happy chemical. hehe.)

I clean the front chamber when it becomes too black to suck a bong through, which WOULD reduce your high (about whoever was mentioned about does it get you more/ less stoned) I think it gets you less stoned as less smoke can get through, the filter (being the water) becomes clogged, etc..

With the front chamber, the main chamber only need cleaning once every 1 or 2 weeks as no chunks go in it..

For what it's worth..

A few years ago my bong for ~4-5 months was a 1.25l coke bottle "oven-modified".. it got to the point where the inside of it was almost impossible to see through, cos I had no desire/motivation to clean it. One night I decided I would - but before I did, I stuck a double-ply sheet of tissue over the neck and pulled a pretty big cone. Upon removing the sheet of tissue, there was literally 1mm of blacky-green evil GUNK stuck to the tissue. Within a week I went out and bought a proper glass model and cleaned it properly as soon as it was starting to get gunked up.

(/me imagines the state of his lungs.. 8o)

I'd like to change my water everyday,but more like once every 3 days8)
And about once a month i'll get the isopropyl alcohol out and give it a proper clean.It's such a nice feeling to smoke out of a sparkling clean(not new,it' not the same)bong,filled with crushed ice and fresh water...fucking love it:)

Alrighty.
This is some information my mate got after he was caught with 24 grams by the cops and was sent to an information session (hahaha, session, sorry =D) .
It's some new program in Western Australia whereby if u get caught with weed (less than an ounce or something) you don't get charged you simply have to go and get told about how drugs are bad for you and shit.
Anywaze, they said that if you don't clean your bong water (I think they meant like every month or something I don't exactly know) than it is possible to contract Hepatitis A and B from the bong water.
I don't know exactly how this would work but I was thus prompted to clean my bongs out much more often.
Don't wanna freak anyone out but yeah... SPOOKY! :(