Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Gaining weight

Cinque

Bluelighter
I've been pilling for a while, and recently realised how much my appearence has changed. I was wondering what is the most effective, reliable way of putting back on weight?

I am interested in this also, as i am rather skinny, and no matter what i eat i can NEVER put on weight (this is prior to pilling as well)
What kind of build are you? have you always been kinda skinny, and find it hard to put on weight?
First thing to do, EAT HEALTHY!! If you eat heaps of fat you might put on some fat weight, but hey who wants that?
I have been eating healthy for the past 1 month or so and i feel fantastic, maybe its just a mind thing, but hey ill take whatever i can get to feel good :D
The main secret to putting on weight, is to EAT MORE (shock horror?!) For example instead of 3 large meals a day, spread it out to 5 smallish size meals, your body will then have a constant supply of fuel to grow!
Be careful of doing heaps of cardio stuff, (excessive amounts can hinder muscle development, dont get me wrong though, i still exercise with a weights program on top)
Get into some weights, eat high protien foods. Maybe instead of one of those meals, have a protien shake instead! Ive gained 2 kg in a month or so (which is a real acheivement going from 55kg for the past 2 years).

if your a skinny person like me check this site out: www.skinnyguy.net (i think its .net it could be .com or some other extension, if that doesnt work google it!)

I am 5'1 and only weigh 36kgs! I am 19 and I am very underweight for my age (even before I started pilling) I talked to my doctor about this and he put me on anti-depressants not because I was deppressed but because they are known to make people put on weight. I got up tp 40kg while i was on them but I stopped taking them because I didn't want to become dependant on them!

I have found eating healthy (as said above) is your best bet, I have put on more weight from eating healthy than fatty foods such as maccas.

I really know how you feel because this has been with my whole life and sometimes it gets me really down...

Good luck
A.

Best advice I could give is to consult a dietician and go down to your local gym and speak to a consultant there about developing an exercise program to suit your needs.
Everybody's body operates differently in terms of metabolism and muscle development. Body shape/size is largely determined genetically. Just as some people cannot help but be large/obese/overweight, some people cannot help but be of a small skinny build. It is for this reason that not everyone could be an Olympic swimmer or sprinter - specific body types are required for such a task. This is not to say you cannot loose or gain weight but it does mean that there is a limit to the size/dimensions that are obtainable.

There are some great books on the subject of body composition, muscle development and anatomy. One of these is Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology by Martini, its fairly complex and is huge but the relevant chapters in it are pretty good. Most libraries should have a few copies of it or if you are a uni student then your uni library should definately have a copy of it.

Beech out

NO!!!!!

Fireblood said:
Maybe instead of one of those meals, have a protien shake instead! Ive gained 2 kg in a month or so (which is a real acheivement going from 55kg for the past 2 years).

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!! Do NOT DO THIS
Protien shakes are supposed to be consumed in between meals not in place of Meals. Arghhhhh.... The way protien shakes work is to mix wih the food you eat and give you additional energy and protien so your body starts operating at maximum potential. If you are tall and skinny, or even short and skinny, you should be drinking maximum of 3 protien shakes a day. One a few hours after breakfast, one a few hours after lunch, and one before you go to bed. The proper use of protien shakes and skinny people can achieve 2-3kg per week after 2 weeks of continued use. 2 kg in a month is not healthy, i could do that just by eating McDonalds. Erghhhh do not replace your meals with protien shakes that is not how it works. And if you are using protien shakes get into a daily workout. You dont have to waste money by joining a gym and pumping iron in Lycra bike shorts, but just go for a run or buy some small dumbells or ride a bike. You will be looking toned in 6 weeks.

Simple:

Energy input greater than energy output = weight gain. Type of weight gain will largley depend of frequency and type of exercise. Beech's post was a good one, hey beech, you have a background in exercise science by any chance?

Stop taking so many drugs! Its amazing how quickly the weight will come back !
If you are taking pills every weekend (not to mention speed) then you are probably not eating properly all weekend, and maybe into monday. What do you expect!

thanx JohnM,
yeah the whole weight loss/gain issue is fairly straight forward as JohnM said its as simple as Energy Input V Energy Output (expendature).
Yeah I got a bit of a background in exercise science. Studied it for 4 years at uni. I find it all pretty interesting stuff. I linked it up with some studies in drug education and effects on society, also did studies pertaining to the health sector and research. I'm now studying to be secondary school teacher, wanna teach pe and health as jobs are rife in teaching whereas jobs in other industries are not so available.

Back on topic, weight gain/loss is quite straight forward as mentioned above. The tough part is the motivation and discipline to stick to a program. If you think you are strong enough to adhere to a program yourself then I suggest you do some reading a develop a suitable program, otherwise consult a professional and utilise the expertise of those who work at gyms and health centres. A great way to keep motivated is to exercise or engage in a program with a friend who is in similar situation and at similar level to yourself. This way you motivate each other and less likely to loose motivation. Thats just 1 strategy, there are many others.

Beech out

LOL! Beech man, we could be clones! i'm doing my master but hoping to flip over to TAFE teaching full-time in the next 12-18months, as i find lecturing on health / exercise matters more intersting than working with elite athlete these days...

Sorry, a little off topic...

Yeah I see education as the most effective method of harm minimisation, for that reason i've gone into teaching. If young people are properly educated on important matters relating to lifestyle then they will have the knowledge to efficiently manage issues that arise.
For instance if everyone knew that regular use of speed can result in drastic weight loss then they may choose not to use such a drug, therefore averting a situation where they need to gain weight and impose significant health risks upon themselves.

Oh yeah and the hours for teaching rock!

Beech out

beech said:

One of these is Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology by Martini, its fairly complex and is huge but the relevant chapters in it are pretty good

I agree, it's a great book. It comes with web resources and a companion book (applications manual) covering some basic aspects of common diseases.

If you're interested, note that the drop out rate for Anatomy 101 can be quite high, particularly in the later part of the term. Check Uni notice boards.

Hehehe! Another decent and widely available text is Marieb's "Human Anatomy & Physiology" a standard 1st year text often up cheap 2nd hand.

Balance your food intake over all the food groups - up your protien and complex carbohydrates and down your simple carbohydrates. Do some weight-bearing exercise (swimming is great!) and eat regularly and well! If bigger meals aren't your thing, more, smaller meals is a good alternative. If you are really underwieght do consult a professional - doctor, dietician, health scientist etc. Don't go on fad diets or look for a quick sort-term fix, and take it easier on the chems as well - your body will thank you!

Smiley:)

Last edited:
Why not try eating heaps of raw cookie dough. If you don't achieve the results you're after you could try plugging the dough (50% more absorption, as we know) =D

Just Kidding ;)

I love cookie dough, mmmmmm chocolate mud.
As for the feedback, i appreciate it and will take all onboard. Thanks guys.

Consulting a dietitian is an excellent idea. If you can't / won't do that, then basically you need to up your intake of both protein and carbohydrates to gain weight in a healthy manner. A dietitian would basically advise you to eat a balanced diet, with 3 decent meals per day and 3 snacks inbetween. You will have to set aside time to eat properly - no breakfasts on the run! Don't eat any "diet" foods either. A common weight gain program for an underweight person might suggest:

Breakfast: cereal with milk; toast with spread; milo with milk or other high protein drink; fruit

Morning tea: milo; muesli bar

Lunch: sandwich with meat, cheese (2 slices) or fish and salad; large glass of juice; yogurt

Afternoon tea: piece of fruit; slice of cake or coffee scroll

Dinner: meat/fish/vegetarian alternative plus carbohydrate (potato, rice or pasta) plus1 green and 1 orange vegetable; dessert; glass of juice

Supper: milo with milk or other high protein drink; fruit toast x 2

Other high protein drinks include Sustagen Hospital (from chemists) and various other proprietary brands. Or you can make your own by adding skim milk powder to a smoothie/shake made with whole milk etc. Here is a good page I found: Weight Gain

I'm not advising it but myself personally gained 18kgs when I was on a methadone program a few years back. Non-drug related though junk food will do it particulary take-away. But then again some peoples metaberlism(sp.) prevents them from weight gain no matter how much they eat.

phase_dancer your totally right with the drop out rate in Human Anatomy at uni. I remember when I did 1st year Functional Human Anatomy the failure rate was 25% So pretty tough subject. I guess thats why some of the texts would prove overly complicated for some to just read for basic knowledge. Where abouts are you phase_dancer? You in Melb by any chance. Just sounds a bit like we could have attended same uni.

Beech out

I live on the Sunshine Coast (qld) but as the local uni dosen't teach core chemistry I enrolled as an external student at Central Qld Uni. I did Anatomy & Phys subjects as biomed electives.