• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Zopiclone + Mirtazapine + Sertraline + Promethazine

Hannjw

Greenlighter
Hey! I don’t know if this is how I properly post or if it’s in the right place or anything as I’ve never posted before but I’ve scoured blue light a lot. Basically I’m prescribed mirtazapine, sertraline and zopiclone and my CPN suggested promethazine but not while I’m on zopiclone. I’ve been on zopiclone for nearly a month now (7.5mg) and coming to the end of my prescription and I won’t be getting any more. I have insomnia but zopiclone isn’t quite doing the job anymore and wondered if it’s actually that bad to take promethazine with zopiclone? Not for recreational use just to help me sleep and cope with my crippling mental illness. I have used drugs a lot over the past year (MDMA & pills, ket, coke, weed and accidentally speed and ritalin) but haven’t for at least 3 weeks now and before that was about 6 weeks. I also had a few days of diazepam a couple of weeks ago. Sorry if this is a silly question. Also I’m 20 and have a bmi of 19 if that changes anything.

Hannjw, I see that this is your first post, so I would like to make sure that you're formally welcomed to the community. Don't feel bad about posting in the right or wrong place. It can be a little confusing and we don't ask new members to have a concise knowledge of how the forums are run. All we ask is that, as you peruse the forums, you attempt to learn the etiquette and such that we try to maintain.

The short answer to your question, is that you shouldn't have any serious concerns about taking Promethazine (Phenergan). Although it's a prescription drug, it's not significantly different than other sedative antihistamines like Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or Doxylamine (Unisom). I've never truly understood why some of these antihistamines are Rx only and some are OTC. There's not really a rhyme or reason to it. They're all horses of a different color. Obviously, some are better for certain circumstances, but I see no reason why Promethazine is Rx and Diphenhydramine is not.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. If antihistamines help you get to sleep, then you should use them. The side effects of taking antihistamines are typically mild like dry mouth, somnolence etc. They are not particularly dangerous or harmful drugs. They are non-addictive in a general sense and you're not likely to develop an insane dependency or addiction to antihistamines. Different strokes for different folks, but antihistamines are generally not seen as recreational or abusable substances. I say go for it.

^ Completely right. Actually, in other countries, Promethazine, and even Hydroxyzine are otc. It is silly. Hydroxyzine(Vistaril and Atarax) is actually SAFER than traditional 1st gen antihistamines, and doesn’t typically cause those side effects as it is non anticholinergic, and is a safe and useful medication. So, let’s restrict it!

Anyway, you can take it, yes. Just start with 25-50ng, and remember it can a while to kick in, though if you don’t normally take then it should be effective, And is safe with low dose zopiclone

Amazes me how doctors do not understand the medications they prescribe. Understand completely they have a lot to deal with, though some of it is so simple- Mirtazepine is a H1 antagonist, if anything you would simply reduce the dose of Promethazine; it has nothing to do with a Z-drug...

Promethazine is a more potent antihistamine, though that is it.(well, it used to be used as a mild antipsychotic, don’t remember the details)

However in the end, it is simply a superior anti-emetic(better than anything available over the counter, bar Hydroxyzine which isn’t otc in the states) and, with occasional use an effective sedative hypnotic; only increased risk is if someone were silly enough to inject it, though that can happen with anything.

As said, you should be good to go. Honestly, mirtazapines and sertralines respective side effect profile overlaps more with promethazine than zopiclones does.