• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Zolpidem?

50shadesofDave

Bluelighter
Hello good people. Sorry to clog the board with another thread, i did try a search, here and google with no definative result.

Could someone please tell me if Zolpidem 10mg has that awful metalic after taste that Zopiclone ruins your following day with?
I could do with a good sleeping aid at the moment and i have plenty of these, i've never tried and wondered if it was just another brand of Zopiclone or is it a different drug altogether?

Fwiw, i found Zopiclone to be a rotten few hours sleep, and as stated in a thread i read, it wakes me before my normal waking time. I remember sucking an old 2p coin when i was a kid and the taste reminds me of that, the 2p coin was'nt tsken for sleep so i can't give a 'trip report' sorry.
Thank you for reading.

I think if being able to sleep is your main goal, the aftertaste shouldn't be that important.
But I remember I was prescribed an "alternative" to Zopiclone for other reasons than the aftertaste and it did have some aftertaste, but nothing compared to that of Zopiclone. It definitely didn't last that long. I don't remember the compound's name, but I was told it was a "first cousin" to Zopiclone.

I don't get that bad taste after Zolpidem, but I get it with Zopiclone

Thanks for the replies guys, i appreciste your time.
I'll give it a miss, i tried zopiclone two ways, straight tab and putting one in an orange segment and necking it, both were awful, 4-5 hrs sleep max and that taste isn't tolerable for me unfortunatley.
Awake at 4am with that dry minging mouth.

Thanks again for your answers though.
You've saved me going through it again.

I'll persevere with melatonin.

Stay safe folks.

It's technically one of the possible side effects, but I've personally never experienced it (and I've had many experiences with zolpidem over about 20 years), and it's not as common from zolpidem as it is from zopiclone/eszopiclone (which DID give me the bad taste). Zopiclone is practically famous for that nastiness. Zolpidem is also in your system for less time than zopiclone, so I doubt you'd taste anything the next morning even if it did give you that effect.

Also, I guess nobody answered it directly, but zopiclone and zolpidem are different drugs that are in the same family.

Last edited:
I checked it out and what I was prescribed I stead of zooiclone wasn't zolpidem. But my mom took zolpidem (Somno) during the lockdown months of COVID and I gladly took care of the leftovers. No bad aftertaste.

No it doesn’t have a terrible taste. I can’t remember if I’ve ever actually chewed up a zolpidem tablet in my mouth before to get the full experience but, if you take it as directed (even in the form of a partial tablet) it has no taste whatsoever. Additionally, the zolpidem “drip” has little (if any) discernible taste.

No it doesn’t have a terrible taste. I can’t remember if I’ve ever actually chewed up a zolpidem tablet in my mouth before to get the full experience but, if you take it as directed (even in the form of a partial tablet) it has no taste whatsoever. Additionally, the zolpidem “drip” has little (if any) discernible taste.

Oh, zolpidem pills themselves absolutely do taste bad. But the metallic taste thing eszopiclone is known for is a different thing. It's not the taste of the pill that's the issue, it's literally a side effect where you just get a bad taste (not even the same taste as the pill) stuck in your mouth no matter what you eat/drink until the drug's out of your system.

Interesting. I’ve never taken zopiclone before. Long-term experience with zolpidem though

The worst substance I’ve ever ingested, I’m not sure what it was exactly but it was introduced to me as “goldenseal”. It wasn’t really even a drug, just an herbal supplement that someone offered to me when they heard I had trouble sleeping, they told me it would help with that. The taste was almost traumatizing, that’s how bad it was, and lasted for like a full day afterwards despite my best efforts to eliminate it. Never encountered a pharmaceutical drug that was that bad

Good morning people, well i tried one 10mg tablet, and had a great nights sleep, best in weeks. Absolutley not bad taste and a full nights sleep.
Thanks again for your input, i do appreciate your thoughts and experience.

For me zopiclone is one of the worst substances i've ever tried, that taste would stick with me all day, well, till evening anyway with patchy/broken sleep thrown in. I remember in the 90's trying a mates zimmovane and that was the start off the 'avoid z drugs' approach, wish i'd done the same with benzos.

Thanks again you lovely lot.

To be honest, I was a little confused about Zopiclone's aftertaste as nobody warned me. But I didn't mind it too much, really. Had worse tastes (not from meds). Plus, it made the memory of a very fun camping weekend more vivid.

@50shadesofDave Good to know that you had a good night's sleep and woke up without any aftertaste. Be safe.

AS an aside, i remember obmne bloke telling me the taste was there to stop people eating them like benzoz

AS an aside, i remember obmne bloke telling me the taste was there to stop people eating them like benzoz
No idea. But if someone wants to abuse the things, they will do it no matter the taste, I think. But I'm not someone who gets much fun out of eating/tasting, so who am I to say?

The bad taste of zolpidem pills never stopped me from dissolving them sublingually (did this whenever I'd had a meal too recently to get effects from just swallowing them). And now that I've had so many pleasant experiences that started out with that bad taste, I don't have the same aversion to it that I used to. It's a taste I'm glad to taste, despite still categorizing it as a bad taste.

It has always confused me why so many benzos actively taste good though. The lorazepam I get tastes like candy...

Some taste good, like some formulations of Klonopin. Others like Xanax are awful though

What does alprazolam taste like?

Edit, does it melt to knothing like diaz? Albeit possible different taste.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: