Mental Health Zoloft, vivid dreams and other side effects

bluesteyes

Bluelighter
About a month and a half ago I started taking Zoloft under the direction of my psychiatrist. I started at 12.5mg per day for a week, and then went up to 25mg. I am probably going to do a week of 37.5mg per day before I go up to 50mg per day. However, I am a bit hesitant to do this because of certain side effects that have developed – specifically, the tendency for this medication to cause vivid dreams that are unpleasant. I wouldn’t call them nightmares, but they involve certain fears and other things that do relate to my personal life. The dreams cause me to wake up, and even if I take a Valium, it’s hard to get back to sleep. The vivid dreams are happening every single night, and they have been going on for a couple of weeks. Is this a side effect that tends to go away with time, or do people tend to have these dreams so long as they take Zoloft?

Another side effect is that Zoloft has a tendency to upset my tummy a bit, even if I take it with food. Lastly, unlike almost every over antidepressant (which make me feel like I am on 10 doses of Sudafed), Zoloft tends to make me feel a bit drowsy. So I am reluctant to take it in the morning. However, part of me wants to take it in the morning to lessen the possibility of having vivid dreams (or to at least lessen the severity of them). Do these side effects go away with time? Obviously, as I increase my dosage (I have no idea if I will stay at 50mg or eventually move up to 100mg), I expect these side effects to come out more. Hopefully they will quiet down. I am normally a person who doesn't dream, so the vivid dreams are kind of freaking me out. Especially because none of them are pleasant.

FWIW = I am also taking subuxone right now. 8mg per day. I am tapering every 2 weeks. I have no idea if this medication is known for causing vivid dreams, but I do know that many SSRI's are.

I never had those issues, but I take mine in the morning without much issue besides the sexual side effects. You can ask your doc to put you on another ssri if the side effects are getting to you.