• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Zohydro 30mg vs Oxycontin OP 20mg

FranklinHydePierce

Greenlighter
I've been on Zohydro 30mg, twice a day, for over a year. Excellent drug. Helps me with my chronic pain.
I get the Zohydro through a mail-order company and it is cheap. The mail order company will ONLY ship it to the state in which the script was written. So when I travel, If I use the mail order company, I cannot have the drug delivered to the place I am located. If I instead take the physical script to pharmacies at my travel location, every place I take my Zohydro script wants at huge amount of $$$ to fill the prescription! I cant afford it, so when I travel, I need a different opiate ER drug...
A few days ago my pain doctor offered me Oxycontin OP 20mg, twice a day, for situations when I need to fill the script out of state. I took the prescription to several pharmacies to get prices, and the average price was much lower than the Zohydro.
So my questions:

• Would you prefer to take Zohydro 30mg twice a day or Oxycontin OP 20mg twice a day, assuming both are the same price?
  • Would you prefer to take Zohydro 30mg twice a day or Oxycontin OP 20mg twice a day assuming the Zohydro costs three times as much as the Oxycontin OP 20mg?
  • Which of these two medications is easier to "modify" so the drug effects your system at a faster rate? (ed. I have never snorted, plugged, or IVed my meds, and I hope I never will. The worst I do is dissolve them in soda or crush them and put them in soda.)
After a few days of experimenting with the Zohydro 30mg and the Oxycontin OP 20mg, I made some quick observations: - The first time I took the Oxycontin OP 20mg, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Fantastic pain relief. Pain relief lasted for 10+ hours. Took 12 hours before withdrawal effects started. - Took Oxycontin OP 20mg a second time. This time, the drug wasnt nearly as effective, lasted about two hours, and a mere four hours later, I was feeling withdrawal effects! I couldnt believe it.
IMO, if seems like the Zohydro 30mg gives a more consistent pain relief. The Oxycontin is a bit of a wildcard. It can give you serious pain-relief for a good amount of time, or it could be a complete dud, which throws you into unexpected withdrawals. Does this sound like how Zohydro and Oxycontin typically treat users?
Through my limited experience with oxycontin op 20, and my more extensive experience with Zohydro 30, I am leaning towards going back to the Zohydro. Not knowing when I may go into W/Ds by using OxyContin OP 20mg is a deal-breaker for me. Unless I can find a way to make the Oxycontin OP 20mg more consistent, the Zohydros are gonna win this battle.

Although I've never taken Zohydro before (it is ER hydrocodone, right?) I use to take OP 80mgs many years ago. Even though literature said they were supposed to last 12 hours, that turned out to be pure PR propaganda. They later admitted instead of 2 pills needed a day, actually 3 a day was necessary. And that was my experience as well. They would be pretty good for 6-8 hours. Typically I would feel them strongly once they kicked in for a couple hours. Then it would level off and hang in there for the duration. If you have had the success it sounds like you've had on the Zohydros, I believe it's a no brainer to stick with them.

As for your travel periods, do you know when they're coming and are they of a duration where you can stock up or kind of plan ahead? If so, that's what I would do, however if that's not the case, I don't really know what to tell you unless your doctor has a network of fellow doctors who wouldn't mind scripting for him in their state if the need arises. Good luck though.