Mental Health Your Zyprexa experiences

andreas

Bluelighter
Hello all

I was just prescribed 2.5mg zyprexa for psychosis (hearing voices and bad thoughts)

I didnt take it at the time (about 6 weeks ago) as I wanted to try vitamin therapy first...didnt work :X

Since then A few things have changed... the voices and thoughts have subsided however my once gone suicidal depression has come back

I would like as much info on this med as I have read some mixed reports

I will be going back to the psychiatrist but I dont trust the whole industry

thank you all for any help

Moving you to mental health section ->

My personal experience with Zyprexa wasn't all that positive, but I think that I was misdiagnosed and therefore misprescribed back then. It made me very restless, lethargic and I gained some weight rather fast so I had to quit it only after a month or two.

i gained like 70 pounds, don't take that shit. thank god i'm 6'3" or i would have looked like the blob from x-men.

Thought Zyprexa was discontinued due to diabetes/liver disease risk? Guess not...

I don't have any personal experience with Zyprexa, just Risperdal. Most of these drugs have the same set of benefits/risks. Side effects can include emotional blunting, weight gain, drowsiness and hormonal changes (prolactin increase usually).

ok thanks guys

Im not a fan of this stuff even though I havent taken it

internet stuff seems to be mostly negative

I tried it once and it knocked me out like a sleeping tablet would. I was found asleep next to my desk, ended up feeling whacked the next day.

Hmm it seems that i am the only one here that has gotten a good reaction from olanzapine. Weird :\ . I suffer from bipolar NOS with rapid cycling and mixed state features and i get some psychotic symptoms when suffering from a severe mood swing especially a mixed state. I found olanzapine to not only work better then the other 2 atypical anti-psychotics i have tried which are quetiapine and risperidone but it also worked much faster and had much less side effects for me. The Zyprexa zydis form (orally disintegrating tablets) would bring me down from a mixed state or full on manic episode in about half a hour. Seroquel on the otherhand took about a week to fully kick in as you have to hit a certain dose before you start getting the anti-psychotic effects of quetiapine and you can't just start off on say 500mg's. You have to work your way up by taking no more then 100mg's on the first day, no more then 200mg's on the second day and so on. At doses below about 200mg's seroquel pretty much just acts as a anti-histamine because it really only acts as a H1 antagonist as well as a antagonist at the adrenergic α1 receptor. Hence why seroquel is so sedating even at 25mg's a day.

I found risperdal to start working after about a day but once you get above 2mg's a day which is pretty much a given if you have bipolar disorder or schizophrenia you start getting hit with the zombish side effects. It doesn't cause much in the way of sedation atleast for most people and it can even have a sorta stimulating effect but it can make you feel like a zombie. Some people get hit harder with this side effect then others and i have found that the more manic i am the less of this side effect i get.

Unfortunately even though zyprexa gives me next to know side effects even at 20mg's a day which is the maximum recommended dose and works far better for me then either quetiapine or risperidone my insurance does not cover it and i can't afford the outrageous price for even the generic form of it. I would recommend trying it though as it may work for you. You can always try the other atypicals later if zyprexa doesn't work.

Hmm it seems that i am the only one here that has gotten a good reaction from olanzapine. Weird :\

Sir, I dunno why but in many threads you talk about your positive reaction to the meds that do almost noting to people who suffer from "major depression.

good reaction from olanzapine. Weird :\

You call it weird, I call it "luck".

They (Doctors) say SSRi' stuffs like flux/olan take a few weeks to start working but just 2.5 gram of Olan itself is enough to knock me out even at work place. Of course many drugs (including Olan) affect people differently. I'm not a doctor but Olan works exactly like strong sleeping pills. Many of my compatriots/friends complain about useless effect of this med . Most anti-dep/SSRi meds only worth being flushed down the toilet. Doctors are unable to solve ppl's money/family problems. They only prescribe u meds that immediately put u to sleep for 16 hours so u will have no chance to argue with family members.

Sir, I dunno why but in many threads you talk about your positive reaction to the meds that do almost noting to people who suffer from "major depression.

You call it weird, I call it "luck".

They (Doctors) say SSRi' stuffs like flux/olan take a few weeks to start working but just 2.5 gram of Olan itself is enough to knock me out even at work place. Of course many drugs (including Olan) affect people differently. I'm not a doctor but Olan works exactly like strong sleeping pills. Many of my compatriots/friends complain about useless effect of this med . Most anti-dep/SSRi meds only worth being flushed down the toilet. Doctors are unable to solve ppl's money/family problems. They only prescribe u meds that immediately put u to sleep for 16 hours so u will have no chance to argue with family members.
you are aware tha paranoid android wrote that 7 years ago right?

you are aware tha paranoid android wrote that 7 years ago right?

Yes, Sometimes I reply old posts, just in case someone might take a look, someone like u. Im still a newbie Blue-lighter and any chat forum on internet sounds complicated even though the current/new template of BL made every feature of the site a bit easier to use. I owe everyone an apology if posting/replying on old threads is bad idea. There is at least one more threads about Olanzapine but seems to be closed. Plus U have to forgive my clueless. Im not making excuses to post anything on old threads but at least, Im almost sure The guy "android" will notice my msg cuz i quoted/tagged him. Right???

Tumaj.

Edit: I forgot to note that i once saw a blue-lighter posting something as reply on a very old thread. He or she was was (or still is) a crew, therefore nobody interrogated him/her.

Last edited: