Your own productions go here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
dr seuss said:
thanks guys :) Spleh, fuck, i've had to redo my entire site and the file repository system isn't setup properly yet.

in the meantime here's some progressive psytrance (only available for 14 days):

http://download.yousendit.com/2F473B784AAF201C

i'll hopefully sort out the dub one next week... and tomorrow i should have time to get round to some reviews!

No worries, just post when it's all fixed and i'll check it out then.

Liquify is sounding great, really clean and enough going on melody wise to keep it interesting till the end despite it being progressive. Progressive any genre usually bores me to death so good work.

dj naptha - riding the wave

intro is cool; splashing wave-sounds remind me of sex pistols 'submission' :D. the plunky water-drip sounds are cool and the rumbling percussive hits atmospheric.

percussive work is really nice; has a lovely 'live' feel to it. strings are warm and rich; feel like they could benefit from a touch more bottom end to thicken them up a bit. the percusso/synth sounds which kick in at 1:50 are cool. like the delayed-flangey stuff at 2:20 as well. hard to judge bass from mp3s, and i don't have my monitors running so it's hard to give detailed feedback. with the flute-ish stuff after 3:00 and the flangey-effects there is a shpongle-esq thing going on here as well :) i like the extra percussive layer which joins in as well. it feels like there could be some more low-end presence throughout really, but again i hesitate to give advice based on my current listening setup ;)

the ending is a bit abrupt - is there more to come from this tune? certainly feels like it could go somewhere else... but maybe that's because the foundation which has been laid is so strong.

great work! :)

the energon conspiracy - hollow eyes

i can feel the industrial influences in the intro section with those distorted growls and glitchiness. the bassline is unexpectedly cheeky & analogue after the metallic intro section. percussive patterns which kick in are crunchy as all get out. the samples are really present in the final mix, but i'm struggling to think outside the strictly dance music production genre here so bear with me ;) :D i think you could play around with the snare sample length, pitch or volume to help tighten things up a bit... perhaps automating its length during the snare-intensive sections. for all percussive work velocity is really important in terms of giving energy (which, btw, it's not like this track lacks :D).

the looping-sample section is wicked, and the big growling distorted synth @ 4:30 is lovely. overall-production wise it's sounding strong and well-defined: a nice 'pro' sound to the mix, which is quite bright and harsh (but then that's partly genre-related too methinks).

Last edited:
chaos engine - stygian

rough, raw and relentless... without ever losing crispiness. this one seriously energetic track, bpm aside. synth work is great, particularly the short-swirly cutting whitenoise synth which comes in at 1:06.

i love the break at 1:50ish... kickass manipulation and great sounds. classic distorted-high-filter-res synth is cool as well. this track always feels like it's in forwards motion. i like the end section particularly :)

production wise there's nothing to say :) it sounds huge.

dr seuss said:
dj naptha - riding the wave

intro is cool; splashing wave-sounds remind me of sex pistols 'submission' :D. the plunky water-drip sounds are cool and the rumbling percussive hits atmospheric.

percussive work is really nice; has a lovely 'live' feel to it. strings are warm and rich; feel like they could benefit from a touch more bottom end to thicken them up a bit. the percusso/synth sounds which kick in at 1:50 are cool. like the delayed-flangey stuff at 2:20 as well. hard to judge bass from mp3s, and i don't have my monitors running so it's hard to give detailed feedback. with the flute-ish stuff after 3:00 and the flangey-effects there is a shpongle-esq thing going on here as well :) i like the extra percussive layer which joins in as well. it feels like there could be some more low-end presence throughout really, but again i hesitate to give advice based on my current listening setup ;)

the ending is a bit abrupt - is there more to come from this tune? certainly feels like it could go somewhere else... but maybe that's because the foundation which has been laid is so strong.

great work! :)

Thanks for the comments seuss!Yeah i let the song end like that so i can build another track and mix it together.

What do you mean by low-end presence?Like a low freq.synth/bass troughout the song?

bye

cool :)

i meant as in the lower frequencies didn't sound as 'full' as they could be... like the percussive elements could have more low-frequency content. again, i'd need to have a proper listen through my monitors, which i can't do till tomorrow :)

dr seuss said:
the energon conspiracy - hollow eyes

i can feel the industrial influences in the intro section with those distorted growls and glitchiness. the bassline is unexpectedly cheeky & analogue after the metallic intro section. percussive patterns which kick in are crunchy as all get out. the samples are really present in the final mix, but i'm struggling to think outside the strictly dance music production genre here so bear with me ;) :D i think you could play around with the snare sample length, pitch or volume to help tighten things up a bit... perhaps automating its length during the snare-intensive sections. for all percussive work velocity is really important in terms of giving energy (which, btw, it's not like this track lacks :D).

the looping-sample section is wicked, and the big growling distorted synth @ 4:30 is lovely. overall-production wise it's sounding strong and well-defined: a nice 'pro' sound to the mix, which is quite bright and harsh (but then that's partly genre-related too methinks).

I don't know its the fact I'm completely baked or if I'm stupid, lol, but I can't tell if you actually liked my song from reading that.... I don't know a lot of technical terms either... I've used Fruity Loops so long that I can make it do what I want it to do pretty much and I just structure my patterns the way I feel they should go but I don't even know what a measure is lol.... haha

dr seuss said:
chaos engine - stygian

rough, raw and relentless... without ever losing crispiness. this one seriously energetic track, bpm aside. synth work is great, particularly the short-swirly cutting whitenoise synth which comes in at 1:06.

i love the break at 1:50ish... kickass manipulation and great sounds. classic distorted-high-filter-res synth is cool as well. this track always feels like it's in forwards motion. i like the end section particularly :)

production wise there's nothing to say :) it sounds huge.

Cheers for the positive feedback :) I've actually never spent so much time on a track before, can definately say it's worth waiting it out and getting a fresh perspective on things rather then rushing to release and getting it done with. There's a higher quality version on our website as well as some of our other tracks.
http://digital-confusion.net/chaos engine - stygian.mp3

The synth you mentioned that comes in at 1:06 i'm hooked on, hardest part was keeping it to a minimum in the track and not overusing it. That and the fact its a drunken frequency whore stumbling everywhere.

I've downloaded the dub track, will give you some feedback soon, too sleepy at the moment to give it a proper listen:p

Had a listen to nkosi, very nice chilled track. Like the contrast between the warm bass and cold atmospheric synths. Reminds me quite a bit of entheogenic mixed with biosphere actually. The guitar samples also adds some nice dynamicness to it all

innatebeat said:
I don't know its the fact I'm completely baked or if I'm stupid, lol, but I can't tell if you actually liked my song from reading that.... I don't know a lot of technical terms either... I've used Fruity Loops so long that I can make it do what I want it to do pretty much and I just structure my patterns the way I feel they should go but I don't even know what a measure is lol.... haha

i thought it was wicked :)

Hey, i need advice for home recording , mixing, editing etc....

I have an mBox and Protools 6.7 le - and a buncha others. Its USB, and when I record- sometimes it seems as if thier is a delay (like USB might not be fast enough?)

What is bitrate? I have been screwing around with that- and I can get the sound pretty damn close to perfect recording time- but i lose quality . . .

would an internal sound card be better?

and should I take a workshop to learn protools , or is it easy to master on your own?

maybe ill just hire professionals to help me with my demo album... any advice would hep

PS- Should a got the damn Mac!

^^^^Bit rate is the amount of binary data generated per second. A bit is 8 bytes if that helps..... A bit is equivalent to 6dB of volume, so 16 bit (like CD) has 16 possible amplitude levels. Listen to a song in 4 bit and you'll hear how flat in volume and how crap it sounds. Thats why your losing quality as you fuck with the bitrate.... Keep it high, 16 or 24, eitherway you'll be forced to eith downsample to 44.1khZ, 16 bit (CD standard). The greater the bit depth and sample rate, the more detail you'll hear in your music, and the easier it is to be rid of digital artifacts, called aliasing.

I believe you have latency issues ie. when you trigger a sound thru your interface there is a slight delay as the sound travels thru your hardrive. There are ways to physically bypass latency issues, such as dual processors, but i think you should try to adjust your buffering size if you can find that function! Buffering is how much of the sound is sampled-and-held to ease up your processing power. Thus if your buffering rate is high ( from 700ms to a few seconds) you'll hear the equivalent delay in action. The reason for the buffering is, i think, to allow processing to occurr internally (ie. effects, MIDI data streams, dither) and then perform D/A conversion, to allow less 'overload' on your computer. If you have a slow computer you have no choice but to have a highish buffer, as you'll hear the sound start breaking up otherwise. I'd look on the mBox website for details on how to improve latency, plus find out ways to speed up your comp.

As to mastering, you can definitely do it yourself with protools, theres heaps of plug-ins dedicated to that. Though most would advise sending it to an objective third party to master, as chances are your ears will be deaf to the tunes by then. If your gewtting your songs professionally mastered, leave -5dBFS headroom or so, as the mastering engineer will bump it up with compressio/equing/limiting to 0dBFS.

Description of Track: - Industrial Drums, Glitchy, Violins. Still in progress. Unmastered, Not mixed down yet. Arrangement is in no way complete.
Title: - No title as of yet, as it is still very early in production.
Composer: - James B. (Pathogen)
Vocal Sample: - Bryce N. (Word Salad)

"Pathogen" Myspace

Comments are welcome, and encouraged. Remember, still VERY early in production, still a lot more work to be done on it.

Link to Track

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.