View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

YOPO.. need help making it work

AlphaOdure

Bluelighter
I've read the FAQ & gathered info through dmt-nexus. As BL's FAQ states, it says to use baking soda and lime. In lieu of lime or baking soda... isn't sodium carbonate preferable? (all ya have to do is heat sodium bicarbonate/baking soda for an hour at 200 degrees Fahrenheit) .. this is what i've read from the bits & pieces over at dmt-nexus? Either that or Calcium hydroxide (But i'd prefer to not spend money i barely have if i can just cook some baking soda at 200 degrees for an hour)? I haven't read anywhere there being a need for both except on BL's FAQ?

With just seeds
  • Tried several methods so far; didn't have a mortar and pestle so couldn't get it too fine so i figured fuck it & did 10 seeds worth, didn't use any carbonate or lime or anything either. Tryptamine headspace for 10-20 min, odd triangular fractals across vision.. then fell extremely tired (odd, b/c i have insomnia) fell asleep... woke up vomiting up all the seed drip.
  • Read over here at the shroomery about plugging the raw seeds: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/4353696
    hmm? Well gave it a shot.. still, only coffee grinder & hammer, no mortar & pestle. Did double the dose, absolutely nothing. Had to stick a 2mL syringe up there & cut off the tip to get all the seed material up my pooper. Might try for a milder trip when i get my mortar & pestle & carbonate.
  • extracted seed innards, used coffee grinder (still awaiting mortar & pestle).. smoked & smoked & smoked. A bit of a tryptamine headspace like things were "off" but thats it. Held smoke in for as long as i could too, then taking immediate hits afterwards. Total fail w/ 5+ seeds. However, had no bong.. just a foily as i'm not a regular pot smoker.

Something i've read about using either Calcium hydroxide or calcium carbonate (plus the water) allows a "reaction" to occur creating more N,N-DMT relative to unwanted alkaloids like bufotenine? And/or is it just to make it a more workable material (once dried)? B/c as disinclined to chemistry as i am, that just doesn't seem right (bufotenine+calcium carbonate=better DMT tryptamine alkaloid ratios?)

SO, QUESTION:
Either way, i finally have a mortar & pestle on the way; so i'll be getting my seeds into a powder finally; & i plan on converting calcium bicarbonate into calcium carbonate, only thing is, anyone know how much carbonate i should use? at what ratio? and how much water to add? & in most recipes i see calcium hydroxide isn't needed if calcium carbonate is present, is this true? Will this sufficiently jump me off the entheogenic cliff!?

THEN: is extraction for smoking as simple as leaving in isopropyl alcohol, evaporating off & WHAM-BAM?

Last edited:
Just get the lime, it's cheap enough (you can buy it online or in the grocery store as 'pickling lime.' I've tried it with baking soda, and with calcium carbonate and neither of these worked for me...at all. Just get the lime and do it right.

Once you have good yopo, you want to extract it with acetone...not IPA.

Pop the seeds first in a pan, then grind with a coffee grinder. Mix three parts of seeds to one part lime. Inhale. Burns like hell but it's a really interesting ride.

First off: You guys have been great! So don't take me across as being rude or mean or anything whatsoever, but just to save time & effort on all you helpful contributors, i'm aware of the heating, separating the husks, mortar & pestle process etc... just getting it to a snuffable psychoactive material using what specific and exact materials (and at what amounts) is what i need at this point!

SO ANYWAY, QUESTIONS/CLARIFICATIONS:
ugh, so yea ive seen pickling lime in many recipes (ANY brand is ok & completely safe for consumption?).. but it seemed intermediately changeable w/ sodium carbonate (& WHY does sodium carbonate seem to be in every recipe then? That & Calcium hydroxide?? or is b/c i assume Calcium hydroxide is a more expensive type of lime? but still, whats w/ the calcium carbonate??) Just, i don't get whats w/ the carbonate though?

And also i've read small amounts of water should still be added correct? then dried? or is that only w/ carbonate in the mixture? It was explained this was needed to convert the bufotenine into more active tryptamines like DMT, 5-MeO-DMT; and to evenly spread this "reaction" across the mixture. But as i said, w/ my limited chemistry knowledge that seemed suspicious.but still, water added? then dried? this needed? or preferred?

& 3 parts seeds to 1 part lime.. that small amount of powder is kinda hard to eyeball, wouldn't it be?

THANK YOU SO MUCH SO FAR FOR YOUR RESPONSES GUYS

Last edited:
Pickling lime is just calcium hydroxide; any brand will work. It's more caustic than sodium carbonate. When I was in the US I saw it in a Mexican supermarket- here in Europe I found it in an artist's supply store.

I was under the impression that Yopo-seeds (Anadananthera Peregrina) are very hard to come by, most seeds you'll find are actually Cebil (Anadanathera Colubrina) and they contain mostly Bufotenin (5-HO-DMT) and no 5-MeO-DMT or DMT. Bufotenin can probably be converted in DMT or 5-MeO-DMT but I doubt it can be done with kitchen chemistry.

Last edited:
I couldn't find it anywhere- i bought a branded hydrated lime product after the store manager went out of his way & gladly googled synonyms of pickled lime (in lieu of having no "pickling lime"), what he found was hydrated lime, the very first to come up & he had it in stock for cheap, so i bought. Here are the chemical constitutes per per he label
  • (the percentages next to the chemicals in this lime mixture where labeled as "minimum guaranteed analysis", not a proportional thing; but it still doesn't make much sensevto me:
  • Calcium hydroxide 95.79%
  • calcium 51%
  • calcium oxide 72.5%
  • Magnesium oxide 0.45%
  • Calcium carbonate "equivalent" (whatever that means) 131%
  • E.N.P. (referred to as effective neutralizing value power ) 130.35%
  • E.N.V. (referred to as effective neutralizing value ) 130.35%

Its my understanding from a quick google read over (too excited to try the snuff to research any further, will do so if the experiments yields shitty or zero results) is that this just means that the rest of the chemicals in the lime are in the proper ratios to allow the mixture to raise the pH (typically of the soil, but of the yopo in this case lol) from the avg 7 to a higher 9-10ish value. which is apparently from what i've read & from what little info i've gathered on this week long venture EXACTLY what i want.

But what relevancy the percentage listings of ENP & ENV have in regards to the other lime products? i don't know? (as its my impression these are "values" not "chemicals") I did start by reading here:

got the 3 seeds toasting now & my mortar & pestle in the mail toady, excited for results. Will try the 3 parts seeds to 1 part of my lime mixture, as our greenlighter Hawk-o recommended (being a GLer.. I am putting a lot of faith in you buddy!)...

will update.

Last edited:
I couldn't find it anywhere- i bought a branded hydrated lime product after the store manager went out of his way & gladly googled synonyms of pickled lime (in lieu of having no "pickling lime"), what he found was hydrated lime, the very first to come up & he had it in stock for cheap, so i bought. Here are the chemical constitutes per per he label
  • (the percentages next to the chemicals in this lime mixture where labeled as "minimum guaranteed analysis", not a proportional thing; but it still doesn't make much sensevto me:
  • Calcium hydroxide 95.79%
  • calcium 51%
  • calcium oxide 72.5%
  • Magnesium oxide 0.45%
  • Calcium carbonate "equivalent" (whatever that means) 131%
  • E.N.P. (referred to as effective neutralizing value power ) 130.35%
  • E.N.V. (referred to as effective neutralizing value ) 130.35%

Its my understanding from a quick google read over (too excited to try the snuff to research any further, will do so if the experiments yields shitty or zero results) is that this just means that the rest of the chemicals in the lime are in the proper ratios to allow the mixture to raise the pH (typically of the soil, but of the yopo in this case lol) from the avg 7 to a higher 9-10ish value. which is apparently from what i've read & from what little info i've gathered on this week long venture EXACTLY what i want.

got the 3 seeds toasting now & my mortar & pestle in the mail toady, excited for results. Will try the 3 parts seeds to part lime as our greenlighter Hawk-o recommended (being a GLer I am putting a lot of faith in you!)...

will update.