PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Yet Another San Pedro Extraction Question

piku_playground

Bluelighter
Or a few questions...

Drying into Powder
I am currently in the process of drying 12 lbs. of San Pedro (t. pachanoi) using this method. I cut the cactus from the skin to the core and then discarded the core, so I think I have a little more cactus to dry then the guy who made that video as I included the white flesh above the core. I boiled all of the cactus slices for around 6 hours. My cactus didn't get anywhere near like how they look in the video. It was late and I decided to refrigerate the cactus to deskin it later. Today, I deskinned the boiled slices and blended them up with the remaining water from last night's boiling process. I separated the blended cactus goo into two large pots and am now boiling them on medium heat to try to get it to a paste. I plan to boil them for 4-5 hours. Is this too much?

Once the cacti is paste-like I will spread them out on a couple of pans and sit them outside overnight. I live in the desert and the temperature will be in the 80s over night. If they aren't dry by the morning it will be in the mid 100s so it shouldn't take long for the paste to dry into powder.

Have I done anything thus far that would affect the mescaline content of the cactus? Did I lower potency or anything by boiling for so long (around 10-12 hours between the pre-deskinning and post-deskinning)? Next time I think I'm going to use an extraction technique that uses fresh cacti. This just seems to be a waste of time, but at least (if I didn't screw anything up) I can preserve the powder for future extracts.

Mescaline extraction
My head is spinning from spending the last couple days researching extraction teks. I want a tek that produces clean and relatively pure (doesn't have to be crazy pure) mescaline, that doesn't take more than 2 days to complete, uses relatively safe chemicals, can be done (with research and caution) by someone who has never extracted mesc. before and has no background in chemistry, and doesn't cost more than ~$60 in materials. Thus far, I think Kash's A/B extraction method looks the most promising. I'm sure there are a lot of other good teks, but most posted online are fairly vague with the procedure and aren't written very well and include no photos. I'm starting from scratch, so the more clarity in explanation the better.

I looked at the d-limonene tek, but it doesn't seem to produce very clean mescaline and supposedly it includes a lot of the other alkaloids you (or I) want to get rid of in the extraction. I want to experience a clean mescaline trip that isn't foggy, demotivating, nausea-inducing, etc.

Are there any other teks a noob like me should follow for the sake of ease and safety?

And would you guys recommend to extract 100g of powder at a time or use everything I get from my 12 pounds of San P? I'm assuming the former in case I screw something up such that I ruin the entire batch.

Any recommendations on how to go about this process, directly or indirectly related, would be greatly greatly appreciated. =D<3

Sounds good . You got powder... Your method seems indepth enough to produce some solid results

Mescaline is a rock solid chemical, it takes a lot to destroy it. Boiling for a long time isn't gonna kill it.

An A/B D-limonene tek should actually work quite well... you're still gonna come out with mescaline of 90%+ purity. And it's food safe.

If you are really worried about purity then you can probably recrystallize it as a salt from boiling water or something.

I didn't think you had to boil the cactus - just off the boil for 40 mins was what I always used. But I think the temperature for mescaline to boil is up near 180 degrees so it shouldn't matter too much.

I might still try Kash's method on the first 100g. I'm drying the mushy cactus outside. I couldn't get that much water out without having to boil it forever. Hopefully it will be dry by tomorrow afternoon. I'm hoping not too many bugs try to steal my mescalito.

Ok so I'm confused. What is the point of drying the cactus into powder? I evaporated the water and the mescaline remained in the plant matter I suppose, but most extraction teks start with rehydrating the cactus powder and boiling it and then extracting the concentrated liquid from the plant matter. So isn't this just undoing what I just did? Do I lose any of the mescaline when the water evaporates? I feel like I've been wasting my time if I'm going to do Kash's tek.

It is seriously appalling that Kash includes virtually ZERO safety precautions in his tek listed on DMT nexus. He also virtually copied the method from this tek on erowid:
http://www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_chemistry2.shtml

He copied almost everything EXCEPT the safety precautions which are listed in the original tek.

Seriously, wtf are the mods doing over at DMT nexus such that they fail to remove that tek from the site? I understand that it is in the responsibility of the individual to research the chemicals they are using for extraction, but at least a little f'ing disclaimer would be helpful. He doesn't even say the chemicals are toxic!

Sorry for the rant. 8(

Have you ever tried simply drinking cactus snot piku? That's going to be the simplest and best method to introduce you to it. I always recomend that before people spend too much time and money on cactus they try drinking it first to see whether they can ingest it or not. A lot of people spend days preparing, then take one sip and can't take anymore.

I'll be embarking on this journey soon myself. I'm debating whether or not to just go traditional for my first mescaline encounter and drink the snot. I do not want to chance taking a sip and becoming too queasy to drink the rest. I'm considering powderizing all 28g of cactus chips I have and just capsuling it up. Would this work out? Is there a need to boil it? I know the material will expand in my stomach so I'll have to proceed with caution if I do that.

There is a part of me that dreams about having a vile of pure(ish) mescaline powder that I extracted and isolated myself, though. I'm always on the lookout for recreational, natural, effective non-toxic enhancements, and from what I hear a low dose of mesc is almost exactly like MDMA. I already absolutely love partying on a low dose of shrooms, so mescaline sounds incredible for this purpose! Don't get me wrong though, it wouldn't be a frequent endeavor and also for m first time I'm definitely trying to trip hard.

Maybe the boiling destroys the tissue on a cellular level which allows more complete evaporation, as opposed to making cactus jelly?

Boiling that long shouldn't destroy the mescaline. Boiling is not necessary, though. Nowadays I just use a crock pot, it's much easier. The sludge is quite hard to drink. I usually let the sludge evaporate until I'm left with a sticky resin and cap that. You can also just cap the powder and eat it, but in my experience that produces much more nausea than eating the sticky resin. I don't get much nausea at all from the resin. Also, I prefer all of the alkaloids, so not doing an extraction doesn't bother me.

I'm considering powderizing all 28g of cactus chips I have and just capsuling it up. Would this work out? Is there a need to boil it? I know the material will expand in my stomach so I'll have to proceed with caution if I do that.

I only did it once - yes it'll work but the nausea ruined every moment of the trip for me. Hard to enjoy yourself when you're in the brink of vomiting for 10-12 hours.