• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Y did Effexor alleviate my Irritable bowel syndrome??

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Well, reduce it, at least.

I've tried Prozac, lexapro and mirtazipine, but effexor was the only one to have this effect.

First day I took it, I had a little constipation, but thereafter no issues.
And from then on, my stomach seemed to have a better ability to retain food.

But previously, I would have to use the bathroom like, 4 to 5 times, before lunch alone.

Anyways, I'll be modifying effexor shortly, but I'm curious as to what element of effexor specifically relieved my IBS, so I can look for that element in a future medication.
Does effexor have anti-cholinergic properties to some extent?
One day, I also experienced dry mouth, which lasted for about an hour, and then never again, before or since, and again, this only happened on effexor.

I was under the impression it acts mainly on serotonin, and to one thirtieth the extent, noradrenaline.
Does it have to some minor extent an effect on the aciticholine receptor also?
What about it's mechanism of action would alleviate diarrhea??

From wiki:
"Venlafaxine is usually categorized as a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI), but it has been referred to as a serotonin-norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor (SNDRI).[56][57] It works by blocking the transporter "reuptake" proteins for keyneurotransmitters affecting mood, thereby leaving more active neurotransmitters in the synapse. The neurotransmitters affected areserotonin and norepinephrine. Additionally, in high doses it weakly inhibits the reuptake of dopamine,[58] with recent evidence showing that the norepinephrine transporter also transports some dopamine as well, since dopamine is inactivated by norepinephrine reuptake in the frontal cortex. The frontal cortex largely lacks dopamine transporters, therefore venlafaxine can increase dopamine neurotransmission in this part of the brain.[59][60]Venlafaxine indirectly affects opioid receptors (mu-, kappa1- kappa3- and delta-opioid receptor subtypes) as well as the alpha2-adrenergic receptor, and was shown to increase pain threshold in mice. When mice were tested with a hotplate analgesia meter (to measure pain), both venlafaxine and mirtazapine induced a dose-dependent, naloxone-reversible antinociceptive effect following intraperitoneal injection. These findings suggest venlafaxine's seemingly superior efficacy in severe depression as opioids become increasingly used as a measure of last resort for refractory cases"

Very interestingly, I see venlafaxine effects some opioid receptors??
I'm just learning of this now for the first time.
I think wiki must have been recently updated with that information cause, I don't recall reading it there before.

Do tricyclics (which I'll be graduating to I imagine), carry any "downstream", or upstream, for that matter, effects on opioid receptors??

But yeah - it makes no mention of any anticholinergic properties, which is what I would imagine would lend itself to relief from persistent diarrhea...?

At 300mg, my IBS is almost entirely gone.
Much better than at 225.

However, at 300, it does induce fatigue, no doubt about it - whether taken at night or in the morning.

I'm assuming this is due to the excess of serotonin, effexor effectively being a serotonergic, with extremely moderate noradrenaline implicating properties.

I had the same thing on other serotonergics.
Fatigue, and little in the way of actual benefit, symptom relief - though lexapro was better than prozac.

This would lead me to believe that my symptoms are not attributable to serotonin based neurotransmission.
That being said, I have had quite profound positive effects from mirtazipine.
Could this perhaps indicate that it's more of a noradrenaline issue, given mirtazipine is a noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant (NaSSA).
Affecting:

adrenegic auto and hetroreceptors
Histaminergic and
Muscerinic receptors.
With selective serotonin antagonism, as oppose to RI.

Didn't affect my IBS.

Effexor, even at 75 mg, did.
Being solely an SSRI at this dose, how did this come about, when neither prozac or lexapro had this effect?

The only other difference, supposedly being a "downstream" (I don't even know what that means) agonist of some opioid receptors to, from what I understand, is a negligible degree.

By the way, I tried Bromantane and while it is true I didn't feel much of anything I am going to try again with a larger dose and do NOT believe it didn't work because they are "sugar pills".

There's LOTS of reasons why legit drugs sometimes don't have great effects on people, everything from dosage to personal differences in body and brain chemistry, but the fact that MULTIPLE searches online PROVE that Bromantane is a PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION in Russia, that it was banned in the 1996 Olympics due to athletes using it as a Performance Enhancing Drug, and all the other online information that explains exactly how it works on the brain and body.....yeah, I am still 100% convinced that Bromantane/Ladastan is a real legit drug.

I will continue my experiments by upping the dose in the next few days (probably not till next week) and continue to post about whether or not it has any effects on me....but it still IS a real drug.

Last edited by a moderator:
i had to tidy house in this thread, lets play nice from now on