View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Xenolinguistics - Exploring communication with the other through psychedelics

visionarycongress

Greenlighter
Xenolinguistics, initially defined in science fiction circles as the study of alien languages, has in recent years been redefined in the context of exploration with psychedelics as communication with the Other. Diana Reed Slattery recently published a new book on the topic exploring her own experience channeling linguistic phenomenon through work with psychedelic substances (primarily psilocybin), and the experiences of other psychonautic xenolinguists. Here's a link to learn more about the book.

And here's a video of the 27 moving glyphs of the visual Glide language that Diana downloaded while in a psychedelic state: [video=youtube_share;wL7cYjCFCfY]http://youtu.be/wL7cYjCFCfY[/video]

Have you experienced any unique linguistic phenomenon like this in your work with psychedelic substances? Has working with psychedelics changed the way you relate to or comprehend language? Have you communicated with the Other during your psychonautic voyages?

Looks like the aliens count in ternary, according to that video...

I first encountered this woman and her ideas last year while getting into linguistics. She seems very influenced by McKenna. A lot of it is way out there.

Though, the idea has a sort of merit, at least insomuch as it is an apparent and pervasive phenomena, how hallucinogens can reorder symbolic constructions (like language) and interrupt conceptual processing of said information.

There is definitely something to being mindful of the messages your confused subconscious can present to you tripping. However, it's so important to not get drawn into it all too far.. And this woman, like so many others, drank deeply from the kool-aid.

Sentient visual languages definitely interest me. It's interesting how archetypal seeing curtains of living writing or symbols is to the psychedelic or peak spiritual experience.
It's a mystery that lead me to Korzybski but maybe it's aliens -- Language is a virus from outer space after all.

While on DMT I've seen rows of self-transforming neon glyphs that seemed at the time like they could be some kind of mysterious alien writing. But after sobering up it seemed just as likely it was something like a cellular automaton manifesting in my visual cortex. (Of course, it could be both...)

I looked at the Kindle excerpt of the book from the 1st post on Amazon....what she's calling a language she received from aliens is pretty obviously a ternary numeral system written vertically (there's three types of strokes, and they occur in three different positions within each glyph, giving 3 cubed = 27 glyphs total) and seems to have more in common with divination systems like runes or the I Ching than with actual written languages. This could be an interesting project, but calling it "xenolinguistics" kind of sets off my crackpot-radar :)

Have you experienced any unique linguistic phenomenon like this in your work with psychedelic substances?
Diarrhoea of the mouth, mostly. LSD and shrooms are particularly bad for it.

Has working with psychedelics changed the way you relate to or comprehend language?
Only when I'm under their influence.
When I get really fucked up on DPT (100mg+), everything sounds like gibberish to me.

Have you communicated with the Other during your psychonautic voyages?
Only once. Those dudes are assholes. Nowadays I always wear a tin foil hat when I'm tripping to keep them out of my head.

I feel like LSD certainly warps my understanding of language and imagery, but I certainly don't feel like it comes from some other side or something.

Why reply if you're going to mock the OP?
Because the OP is talking about talking to aliens. Sounds more like he's been on Datura or some shit.

Newsflash: psychedelics make you hallucinate. They are powerful mind altering chemicals.

For what it's worth, I have seen similar shapes floating around on a strong mushroom trip. Coincidentally, that same trip was one of the few times i've ever experienced telepathy with my partner.

Because the OP is talking about talking to aliens. Sounds more like he's been on Datura or some shit.

Newsflash: psychedelics make you hallucinate. They are powerful mind altering chemicals.

So stay out of the thread and let the conversation flow unhindered? Who cares if it sounds like the most bullshit stuff you've ever heard, let those who want to talk about it, talk about it.

What I'm trying to say is, don't stifle other's opinions and thoughts here.

So stay out of the thread and let the conversation flow unhindered? Who cares if it sounds like the most bullshit stuff you've ever heard, let those who want to talk about it, talk about it.

What I'm trying to say is, don't stifle other's opinions and thoughts here.
Lighten up man - I'm just fucking about. I didn't cuss him out or anything.
If you're going to post something so far out then you should expect a silly response or two.

^ There's a history of threads like this getting shut down by intolerant skeptics. That may be why psy997 is a bit touchy about your responses.

Yet another insane thread featuring a very warped-minded OP, a sarcastic guy, and a user who takes the internet too seriously!

Seriously done with this sub-forum. See ya'll.

This could be a real discussion without all the nitpicking and interrupting back and forth.
Fuck off if you're not interested, or at least present a legitimate counter argument if you insist on being involved in the conversation regardless of your opinion.
(Either way, all outside parties ought to ignore this pissing contest, and my vote is for cleaning up both sides of this off-topic and useless side argument, mods.)

I've browsed this forum for years, and the quality of content has degenerated highly with the influx of posters as research chemicals have become more prevalent.

Anyhow..

The ambiguity of language lends itself to innumerable interpretations, themselves products of the perception of any witness. It's like the old idea how "the green you see and the green I see could be totally different colors man".

This processing trick is possible because words are simply neural symbols attached to information structures; they allow the conscious interpretation of our reality by framing the data our brains receive.

Alien, in an anthrocentric context, means outside personal experience. In this way, this woman's "xenolinguistics" could be seen and explained as a representative of her subconscious psychic processes. This is especially plausible due to her use of entheogens in this research and work, as entheogens are reputable as "mind-manifesting".

The only highly strange thing is the prevalence of the "script" and "alien language" hallucinations, especially in tryptamine use, amongst highly diverse demographics (even across vast distances or in remote isolation).

Last edited: