• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xannax seems to wake me up

I think the nitro-benzo comment was aimed at me.

And if I were to take enough diazepam to actually put me down for the count, I'd be in big trouble some time afterwards. Real big trouble. Seizures potentially. Because I'm not what you'd call particularly sensitive to benzos at all. I don't take them often, PRN only, or a couple of times a week at most (unless I have one of those seizure-prone days where they seem to come in long trains of the fuckers, and whilst I can terminate them effectively with chlormethiazole, the drug I take for seizure prophylaxis and response its somewhat short acting, so if I really have to, I'll take it more than just twice in one week, if I really need to be able to sleep safely and not wake up with a seizure) but otherwise, I don't take them often.

But even without any tolerance to GABAergics I can easily take 100mg nitrazepam in a single dose and stay wide awake. (its made here in 5mg tablets, so thats a fairly high dose for nitrazepam). At best I can split a box of tablets into two doses if I want to use it as a sleep aid. Same goes for chlormethiazole, it takes 6-7 caps of the stuff to knock me out. Although a combination of the two will generally suffice to make me sleep. (note-this is a personal bodily quirk and chlormethiazole should generally NEVER be combined with any other downers. Particularly alcohol, not if you want to live)

And yes, I do seem to respond better to nitrobenzodiazepines, nitrazepam and loprazolam are the only benzos prescribable in the UK that I seem to respond well to. (never tried alprazolam, it isn't available here, non-prescribable on the NHS, so not only can't be prescribed but as a result isn't going to turn up on the street here either)

In the case of diazepam, at any dose a doctor would prescribe, then its nearly inactive in me. To obtain effects I'd have to take hundreds of mg, and in such cases, there is a long delay, and then effects that would be more in line with a GABAa antagonist (albeit weaker) take place, including severe anxiety, uncontrollable shaking, hiccups, inability to sleep, muscle twitching and other similar nastiness. Its really not a drug that either does me any good, or that at active doses is unlikely to result in unpleasantness.