• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Xanax withdrawals after just 9 days

J1982

Greenlighter
Is it normal to get fairly bad withdrawals after just 9 days of taking Xanax? I did take about 27mg over this period but I have to stop due to a drug test in 7 days but after about 24 hours without it I feel like death. How could an addiction creep up that fast?

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm not a Xanax expert -- though I do have some experience with the substance -- but am a little surprised that you are experiencing such symptoms, given your situation. Some people say LOW amounts of alcohol can ease the dysphoria a bit, but that's not a suggestion any MD would make.

Feeling like death could be any number of symptoms. Youd have to be more specific to narrow down benzo withdrawal. Its unlikely at 9 days. Are you sweating, shaking, heart racing, palpitations, extreme anxiety that is not normal for you, high bp?

I have felt rebound anxiety/mild withdrawal(mild compared to how bad benzo withdrawal, still felt incredibly shitty though.) from 2 weeks or less of everyday benzo use. It also seems like the more times I have done alcohol and benzo binges, the easier it is/faster it takes to get withdrawal from gabaergics.(kindling effect)

if you previously were addicted to benzos then a yeah, a high dosage over a week or more is definitely enough to become addicted again

Benzos are way more addictive than most people think they are. Its about as addictive as cocaine for most people. Most people don't get euphoria from benzos, but some people do. If you get euphoria from them, it's about as addictive as heroin, sometimes even more depending on the person. The actual addictiveness isn't even the worst part though, it's the withdrawals. Addictiveness is basically how fast you get addicted to it, but the withdrawals from quitting are worse with some drug classes than others if you were just as addicted to one as the other. Benzo withdrawal is the #1 worst out of all the common drug classes. Even if you just used Xanax for a week, the withdrawal would be worse than using cocaine for a month. Be careful with benzos, if you did 27 mg in your first week and only quit because of a drug test you're almost certain to develop a significant addiction if you get back into it. Stick to either just using it on special occasions, like big parties, or just not at all. Best of luck

Can happen fast. Not sure about 9 days of moderate use but I had some wicked withdrawals after only a month of moderate use (around the same or a little more.) so possible? Benzo withdrawals are the worst:(. Honestly they should pass quickly this time if it was only 9 days but omg don't even go back there. Worst drug to come off, ever. I'm terrified of having to finish my latest taper.

If you were addicted before then yes. I've had trouble with xanax for the last 6 years, after 9 days at such a high dose it's possible to suffer from some rebound anxiety, mild withdrawals such as the sweats, cravings, anxiety, a feeling as if something is missing, is this your first experience with xanax?