• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Xanax tolerance

xannyhead

Bluelighter
How much time does it take so that somebody who used to pop a bar once every 1 or 2 weeks for around 2 months has their tolerance back to a normal/low level?

sounds like your tolerance is already pretty low. It’ll probably take a few weeks to a month to hit zero again, maybe longer, i’m not that familiar with benzo tolerance.

This answer to this question is going to be highly effected by individual physiology. How quickly a drug is metabolized and excreted is going to vary from person to person, although there are generally accepted "mean" half-lives for given substances that can at least be used as a reference point. If you are only using Alprazolam (Xanax) every week or two, you most likely haven't developed any kind of tolerance at all. This is excluding what you might call "subjective tolerance", that is, you're more accustomed to the drug's effects, so they don't feel as intense or powerful.

When I was sixteen, 2-3 drinks would be enough for me to go to a party and socialize. It seemed to be powerful enough and loosened me up as I wanted it to. Fast forward to present day, I don't ever drink Alcohol, but if I did want to for the same purposes as I've stated, I would probably take 6-8 drinks in an evening. I'm sure there's a physiological variable at play, but for the most part, the drinks just don't "seem" as powerful. Basically, you want to familiarize yourself with the difference between subjective and objective tolerance.

If you are only using Alprazolam (Xanax) every week or two, you most likely haven't developed any kind of tolerance at all. This is excluding what you might call "subjective tolerance", that is, you're more accustomed to the drug's effects, so they don't feel as intense or powerful.

When I was sixteen, 2-3 drinks would be enough for me to go to a party and socialize. It seemed to be powerful enough and loosened me up as I wanted it to. Fast forward to present day, I don't ever drink Alcohol, but if I did want to for the same purposes as I've stated, I would probably take 6-8 drinks in an evening. I'm sure there's a physiological variable at play, but for the most part, the drinks just don't "seem" as powerful. Basically, you want to familiarize yourself with the difference between subjective and objective tolerance.

This exactly.

From my experience / reading you will never get back your base tolerance, however long breaks keeps your tolerance low which is always good. With benzos I would say from the usage you've described you could stay at a low dosage when you use if you took a break every 2-3 weeks if not longer. This will also keep you away from daily use, high dosing and addiction.

I am prescribed 3mg Alprazolam per day. That is quite a lot, and I have quite the tolerance (I am also prescribed Triazolam and Lormetazepam), but if I take more than 3 mg in one day so that I run out before I get my refill and have to go without for a few days, I have noticed that a "gap" like that has a tendency to sometimes lower my tolerance, although that might be my subjective tolerance. My point is, if I go just a few days without taking any benzos, when I do take the Alprazolam it hits me harder than when I take it after having taking it every day for a long time. But as it has already been said, it varies from person to person.

Last edited: