• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Xanax taper plan

Stimzandbenzhydmorpho

Greenlighter
Ok well hello blue light, this is my first post and I want to start off with my first post with a helpful and “harm reductive” post for a taper plan I made myself that works for Xanax/Alprazolam. I have used blue light for over six or seven years now and I’m ready to contribute my years on knowledge that I have learned from personal experience and right here on blue light.

I had been on every benzo that you could think of (prescribed) since the age of 13 (I’m 27 now) once I was diagnosed with a very very bad case of bi polar depression, GAPD, and mild schizophrenia. So after about three years of being switched from mostly Xanax to clonazepam to Ativan back and forth me and my psychiatrist found that Xanax was worked best for me. I started off at 2 mg 3 time daily and stayed there until the age of 23. Finally by the time of age 26 before I tapered myself off I was at 1 mg two times daily. Well I had to taper myself off because my psychiatrist cut me off because “I had been on them for way to long and my other medications for my disorders would work fine for my anxiety” so that day I walked out with no prescription or taper schedule just cut off cold turkey. Well luckily I had a nice stash of about 90 1 mg Xanax and I knew I had to taper off of them or go through the miserable benzo withdrawal I’ve been through once before between psychiatrist. Here was my plan and it worked.

I was currently taking 2mg a day
(I wrote this based off of 1mg a day starting doseage even though I was taking 2mg for a shorter post and more simplicity in the break down you may use this taper towards whatever your daily doseage is just convert it to whatever you take)
Week 1-6: Take .25 (one quarter) less of 1 mg
I split my 1mg in half and then broke one half of it Into a half and take the half peice and the small peice of the other half.
Week 6-12: reduce dose by another 1/4 .25
(At this point I had to take an extra peice here and there as anxiety was present a little at times, just don’t do it to often as it will mess with the taper plan.
Week 12-16: (only four weeks this time as your body will not notice a difference in the doseage change because of how small the change is at this point) Again cut your doseage by 1/4 .25 again.
Week 16-20: reduce your dose by 12.5% you can use your calculator to figure out what this will come too in my situation I was breaking the quarter of the pill I was taking before not completely in half but right behind where you would break it in half.
Week:20-whenever you would like to stop I stopped at week 22. That little peice you were left with after doing weeks 16-20 will be what you will take up until the time you decide to quit all together.

That is the taper plan I used and there was only one time during the duration of my taper that I felt any discomfort of anxiety and that was weeks 6-12 but I never felt any kind of withdrawal symptoms. Once I was done tapering and totally stopped taking any of it I never felt withdrawal symptoms or discomfort. It worked for me I haven’t had any benzos since I finished that taper plan. I hope this helps someone because it can be a scary thing to go through any kind of withdrawal but espically benzo as it is one of the withdrawals that could cause death or seizures ( not super common). You may take this information and use it towards whatever your daily doseage is.

Ok well hello blue light, this is my first post and I want to start off with my first post with a helpful and “harm reductive” post for a taper plan I made myself that works for Xanax/Alprazolam. I have used blue light for over six or seven years now and I’m ready to contribute my years on knowledge that I have learned from personal experience and right here on blue light.

I had been on every benzo that you could think of (prescribed) since the age of 13 (I’m 27 now) once I was diagnosed with a very very bad case of bi polar depression, GAPD, and mild schizophrenia. So after about three years of being switched from mostly Xanax to clonazepam to Ativan back and forth me and my psychiatrist found that Xanax was worked best for me. I started off at 2 mg 3 time daily and stayed there until the age of 23. Finally by the time of age 26 before I tapered myself off I was at 1 mg two times daily. Well I had to taper myself off because my psychiatrist cut me off because “I had been on them for way to long and my other medications for my disorders would work fine for my anxiety” so that day I walked out with no prescription or taper schedule just cut off cold turkey. Well luckily I had a nice stash of about 90 1 mg Xanax and I knew I had to taper off of them or go through the miserable benzo withdrawal I’ve been through once before between psychiatrist. Here was my plan and it worked.

I was currently taking 2mg a day
(I wrote this based off of 1mg a day starting doseage even though I was taking 2mg for a shorter post and more simplicity in the break down you may use this taper towards whatever your daily doseage is just convert it to whatever you take)
Week 1-6: Take .25 (one quarter) less of 1 mg
I split my 1mg in half and then broke one half of it Into a half and take the half peice and the small peice of the other half.
Week 6-12: reduce dose by another 1/4 .25
(At this point I had to take an extra peice here and there as anxiety was present a little at times, just don’t do it to often as it will mess with the taper plan.
Week 12-16: (only four weeks this time as your body will not notice a difference in the doseage change because of how small the change is at this point) Again cut your doseage by 1/4 .25 again.
Week 16-20: reduce your dose by 12.5% you can use your calculator to figure out what this will come too in my situation I was breaking the quarter of the pill I was taking before not completely in half but right behind where you would break it in half.
Week:20-whenever you would like to stop I stopped at week 22. That little peice you were left with after doing weeks 16-20 will be what you will take up until the time you decide to quit all together.

That is the taper plan I used and there was only one time during the duration of my taper that I felt any discomfort of anxiety and that was weeks 6-12 but I never felt any kind of withdrawal symptoms. Once I was done tapering and totally stopped taking any of it I never felt withdrawal symptoms or discomfort. It worked for me I haven’t had any benzos since I finished that taper plan. I hope this helps someone because it can be a scary thing to go through any kind of withdrawal but espically benzo as it is one of the withdrawals that could cause death or seizures ( not super common). You may take this information and use it towards whatever your daily doseage is.
Fair play to you B-)

But if it's available, I would always advise moving over to Valium (Diazepam) and using that to taper.

Way safer. Way more comfortable (albeit drawn out) withdrawal.

Although you are proof some people can use short acting Benzos and still taper successfully.

Fair play to you B-)

But if it's available, I would always advise moving over to Valium (Diazepam) and using that to taper.

Although you are proof some people can use short acting Benzos and still taper successfully.

Would Alprazolam be a more severe taper, or just a longer duration ?
Or is it just that xanax was invented to use for sleep. Because it sure knocks me out and makes me get real good sleep. Or it is just extremely potent, most likely.
It's a big nod, but of course with a big hangover too. a big side effect or just part of the design. Very very relaxing. So, I have to pray not to take them.

Fair play to you B-)

Oh yes! Any longer acting benzo is the best way to taper by far, that is how it usually done under a professional supervised taper. Thank you for posting that information that’s great for other people to know. Sadly in my case that’s all I had was the Xanax

Would Alprazolam be a more severe taper, or just a longer duration ?
Or is it just that xanax was invented to use for sleep. Because it sure knocks me out and makes me get real good sleep. Or it is just extremely potent, most likely.
It's a big nod, but of course with a big hangover too. a big side effect or just part of the design. Very very relaxing. So, I have to pray not to take them.
Alprazolam (Xanax) and other short-medium acting Benzos can have brutally harsh - life threatening withdrawal symptoms. Xanax is a short acting very potent Benzo. The withdrawal may last shorter in duration, but more horrific in nature.

I've cold turkey'd off of high doses of Xanax etc. and ended up with Psychosis amongst other things. Worst experience of my 40 year life!

Withdrawal - slow and steady wins the race... ;)

Can you explain your third cut? you say in minimal (.25) but at that point it would be 50% of your daily dose (two cuts of .25 to get you .50 left daily). Or did you mean to say cut by 25%?