• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Xanax for a Methamphetamine "come down"?

Well, I joined BL to participate. That's what I'm doing. I take the warning to heart because the harmful effects are true and I have gone through all the mentioned hassles. I have been taking fewer mg and skipping a day every so often... forgetting on purpose...

Benzo tolerance just sucks ass. I wish there was a reset button. Nonetheless, when I started with my first benzo it saved me from panic and I felt like I had been rescued from a shark attack. Release becomes euphoria fairly quickly and the brain gets rewired on what makes it feel not just good, but better than good. I guess that's why so many people have an issue with them. Everybody wants to feel good. Or feel better.

To anyone that is unaware, combining benzodiazepines and methamphetamine is a bad idea. This is not only cutting side effects, but dangerous side effects as well. Things in which normally should bother a person, are now tolerable.

This combination also increases the chance of becoming dependent on both, something no experienced drug enthusiast or BL HR poster would ever play around with. Dependency to Meth and Benzos happens very rapidly and is a "snow ball" addiction that seems to push itself.

in my opinion Benzos + Meth + Sleep deprivation alter judgment and intelligence far too much. If anything, the faster you can sleep while strung out, the better, but benzos sometimes bring about another wave of drug seeking behavior and may lead to even worse things.

It may be because I use GHB for the come down, that I no longer see benzos as being an option any longer. (Fast new wave of euphoria, instant relaxation, significant drop in HR, BP and temperature. Plus, the shadow people are cool and just want to chill and be understood.) But this is also dangerous as it increases chance of seizure and has a very short half life.

All in the hypothetical situation that you might use meth... :p

Last edited:
Well, I joined BL to participate. That's what I'm doing. I take the warning to heart because the harmful effects are true and I have gone through all the mentioned hassles. I have been taking fewer mg and skipping a day every so often... forgetting on purpose...

Benzo tolerance just sucks ass. I wish there was a reset button. Nonetheless, when I started with my first benzo it saved me from panic and I felt like I had been rescued from a shark attack. Release becomes euphoria fairly quickly and the brain gets rewired on what makes it feel not just good, but better than good. I guess that's why so many people have an issue with them. Everybody wants to feel good. Or feel better.

Just please in the future try to at least not make statements like "I take 8 or 10 mg klonopin on certain occasions" without always immediately following that by explaining that you have a high benzo tolerance and that would not be an appropriate dose for someone new to benzos. Not to discourage you from participating, but it's true what velvetacidchrist said about how statements about how much you, as a very experienced benzo user, take are not relevant or helpful or in the interest of harm reduction in threads like this, where the OP appears to be asking about how much someone with no tolerance should take :). Perhaps if you want to participate in such threads you could instead share, if you remember, the doses you found appropriate back when you first started using benzos, or your warnings about how easy it is to get dependent on them, or any risks the OP should be aware of? :)

Glad to hear you are trying to lower your doses <3

benzodiazepines are perfect for meth/stimulant comedowns, they completely rid your body and most of your mind of any discomfort, anxiety, or other problems. It relaxes your tense muscles, slows your heart down, relieves nausea, quiets your racing thoughts, and can put you to sleep, which is something you desperately need after amphetamine use. One thing it doesn't cure, however, is the possible depression many people experience during the meth comedown. For this, take l-tyrosine on an empty stomach. In addition, you must dose fairly low (1mg alprazolam), as dosing high after stimulants presents risk of OD. I don't know what concerns RenzEnvy has, but I'd like to hear particulars issues with benzos/meth.

I know it was hypothetical, but that's my basic rundown of benzos and meth... although I still can't sleep on meth after taking klonopin... better xanax for this purpose, or better yet... temazepam.

To anyone that is unaware, combining benzodiazepines and methamphetamine is a bad idea. This is not only cutting side effects, but dangerous side effects as well. Things in which normally should bother a person, are now tolerable.

I am curious as to what side effects are blunted by the benzo that could be damaging? I've always considered it a safe combination, due to it's studies that show it actually reduces neurotoxicity (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11093760)

^I assumed he meant stuff like some people will take higher doses of meth (or take it more frequently) since they have a benzo to mask the negative effects, or they will take a benzo while sleep deprived from meth but not go to sleep, etc?

A reasonable warning indeed. Know your dosages with benzos, how it reacts to the kind of methamphetamine you have and your ROI.
If you keep your benzo dosage NO HIGHER than it needs to be (I felt the effects of a .25mg Klonopin every time I took it for 2 years, before I took them a bit more regularly), you will achieve a relief of side-effects and overall comfort.

Benzos work little for me when coming down from Provigil; I think the problem it's very similar with any upper. The best meds for a smooth come down for are a combo of 2ug Clonidine, 700mg Carisoprodol, and 4mg Clonazepam, also a little Ibuprofen or APAP for headaches.
But I know most people don't have all these meds, so I will say Carisoprodol (SOMA) which gets converted into Meprobamate, with some benzo, is the best for a comedown.

I am curious as to what side effects are blunted by the benzo that could be damaging? I've always considered it a safe combination, due to it's studies that show it actually reduces neurotoxicity (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11093760)

It blocks side effects like knowing your doses. Also, in the case of a medical emergency on methamphetamine, you will probably be less likely to seek help while intoxicated on a benzo.

Yes, it has positive effects, however in the case of an overdose on meth, a doctor should administer treatment and not a drug user with "downer pills"

I appreciate input from everyone but due to my recent experience mixing benzos to help with meth comedown is extremely dangerous. As I sit writing this I'm not out of the woods yet.

Meth is powerful. Greatest upside but the worst downside. I smoked (probably too much) meth today and felt like the ride was over. Popped half a zbar and wham I almost called 911. By the way my benzo tolerance is through the roof.

Time line is critical in my opinion. Meth can last 12-20 hours and prevent sleep and half way through pop a benzo after abusing body.

My heart started thumping, barely could breath and had to walk around outside for hours. I can finally sit down and starting to relax.

I wanted the best of both worlds. Smoke meth durning day, pop a benzo and sleep. Maybe possible but it's easy to lose track of what's been smoked or snorted.

My last hit was around 5pm. Took benzo around 10pm. Learn from my mistake. Wait it out before using benzos.

Thoughts?

How much Xanax a meth user should take for a meth come down?
Im not a meth user (and never will be), but I am just curious the amount of Xanax or any other benzos for a Meth come down.
The year is almost 2022. I live in Georgia. The meth here is top-shelf for the price of weed. Out of seven dealers, all the “Xanax” bars I’ve found have been pressed knock off low-dose alprazolam, dangerous fentanyl fakes, or (most commonly) total fakes. I find irony in the fact that I’m using the highest quality and most available meth I’ve ever used, and I can’t even find benzos to comedown when I need them more than ever.

The other day i had been up for three days, and it had been 24 hours since my last meth dose. I was lucky to find a guy who GAVE me 8 2mg authentic alprazolam bars. I would normally have taken 1mg to come down, but decided to take less, given their inflated value. I broke off .5mg and crushed it into three lines. I snorted one line (.166mg) and felt almost immediate relief. I was asleep within 20 minutes of feeling effects.

if you have zero tolerance to benzos, it is best to dose as low as possible when coming down from meth because the tolerance builds fast. You might be surprised by how low an effective dose can be. However, results may vary as this was MY experience.

Out of seven dealers, all the “Xanax” bars I’ve found have been pressed knock off low-dose alprazolam, dangerous fentanyl fakes, or (most commonly) total fakes. I find irony in the fact that I’m using the highest quality and most available meth I’ve ever used, and I can’t even find benzos to comedown when I need them more than ever.
Interesting. The pressed bars that I've sampled in the urban Pacific Northwest have been quite different -- not alprazolam, since a quarter-bar is way stronger than my pharmaceutical Xanax 0.5mg; not fentanyl, since I first sampled the bars in withdrawal and didn't feel opiate relief, just benzo sedation (I had bought them alongside explicit fentanyl pills); and not total fakes, since they were a little bit scary in their intensity.

The logical conclusion seems to be that they are dosed with a potent RC benzo (probably flualprazolam or clonazolam or maybe that Dalmane metabolite) beyond the 2mg alprazolam equivalent.

Im not a meth user (and never will be), but I am just curious the amount of Xanax or any other benzos for a Meth come down.
Personally, I’d take 4mg. Depending on your tolerance of course. Xanax is the perfect thing to take for a come down. Fucking love me some Xanax lol. Good luck, be safe

The pressed bars that I've sampled in the urban Pacific Northwest have been quite different -- not alprazolam, since a quarter-bar is way stronger than my pharmaceutical Xanax 0.5mg

You say not alprazolam because of strength, but how else did you deduce this? Was the effect different? As I’m sure you know, alprazolam is a distinctly bitter molecule, I always melt it on my tongue to make sure it’s real.

But I have determined that drug markets vary A LOT by country, region, state, even counties. Example: the real bars that were given to me, I got from a guy in the state just north of where I live. Apparently there’s higher supply than demand. However, the meth there is the worst I’ve ever seen for 2-3x the price of the stuff in my state.

I heard that regulations have been put in place to reduce the amount of benzos prescribed. Back in ‘15 every pot dealer sold them and I never had to question authenticity, nor did I have to settle for Klonopin, Valium, or Ativan (which is also almost impossible to find where I live).

But if you run out of your scrip, or for whatever reason have to buy bars on the black, please be careful. Luckily no one I know has died, but my county alone has suffered several fentanyl overdoses from pressed benzos and opioids.

High-Intensity exercise is the best treatment for Methamphetamine comedown. Assuming you’re in somewhat good health. (High-Intensity exercise is also highly Neuroprotective)

One of the few good things that it can be used for, coming down from stimulants or psychedelics (ie stuff that’s actually fun lol). For that purpose, I’d recommend taking a solid dose of 1 mg but probably no more than that

Back when I hung out with a motley group of tweakers and assorted other degenerates, we’d call stuff like xannies, kpins etc “parachutes”...don’t fly high without a parachute! Etc

There are a few challenging ideas in this complicated thread. Based on my experience with meth which was usually to stay awake puffing continuously for 2-3 days then forcing sleep

1. After 2-3 days away your brain doesn't need a huge amount of benzos to get the message it's light's out time. Even slamming meth for 2 days I rarely took more than 10 mg valium when I wanted to end it. But the trick is to only end it at what would be your normal bedtime. It's stupid to drop your benzos at breakfast time and expect to sleep soundly no matter how long yo've been awake.

2. All benzos can be helpful but long-acting valium/diazepam is probably the safest and most effect for coming down from meth. With short-acting Xanax I have woken up after a few hours still feeling high as Fuck and sometimes a fair way from my bed suggesting I'd been in a bit of a blackout.

3. It's pointless asking for or giving advice about 'street press xanies' to get over a meth high since no-one really has any idea what is in them and they are inherently dangerous. Personally I have taken them to get over comedown anxiety/jitters but I wouldn't do it again. It might only be etizolam in which case it will feel a lot like diazepam anyway when you are on meth but it could be anything.

4. In my personal experience taking the minimal amount of comedown drugs is preferable and no matter how high I've gotten on meth I've never really needed more than a combination 50 mg seroquel and 10 mg valium - which gives a deeply refreshing 6-8 hour sleep AND has the benefit of killing any major emotional comedown feelings (anxietyu/depression etc) when you wake up

Personally I'd recommend not using a highly addictive, short acting benzo like Xanax. Do your research, not all benzos are created the same. If you must use one, then you want a "hypnotic" one like Temazapam (Xanax primary action is "anti-anxiety"...). As a meth user on and off for 30 years, I fell into the trap of going on a bender, then taking benzos. I can live with my meth addiction, but trust me, you don't want go thru a benzo addiction and withdrawal ;).

You can also try Melatonin half an hour before you go to be to help reset your body clock (thats what I use). Your body makes it naturally so it has a very low risk profile.

You can also use first generation anti histamines like DPH (diphenylhydramine) and doxylamine succinate short(ish) term to help with sleep. They are widely sold as sleep aids in pharmacies. I would say only use these short term as they are fairly safe but they are not risk free (eg too much doxylamine could contribute to kidney stones..).