• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Xanax and recklessness

roady05

Bluelighter
Hey guys, I have done valium and Xanax a few times and I find that Xanax tend to makes me behave with more recklessness than valium and I've not really seen a clear explanation for why this is. As far as I can see chemically they are both benzos and one just has a shorter duration ??

I've done them both in enough different settings to see a definite trend - valium makes me more sleepy and sedated, Xanax seems to remove my anxiety but still leaves me feeling relatively 'awake' for a benzo and I tend to make weird decisions like randomly buying some coke or some dumb shit lol. Anyway -just wondering if anyone has noticed this or has any information on this. Cheers.

It's mostly due to potency and being more selective for specific GABA subreceptors.

Basically, Valium is weak and hits most of the receptors benzos hit. So you get all the effects but they're pretty mild and chill.

Xanax is much stronger but only hits specific receptors. This means it only has a subset of effects Valium has, but the effects you do feel hit you harder.

In your case you don't get sedated by Xanax (this differs by individual because it tends to make me sleepy and lazy but anyway) but you do get the anti-anxiety effects, so you remain lucid while your inhibitions are significantly lowered, hence the way you act under the influence.

And yes it is very common on benzos to do stupid shit you regret later and wouldn't otherwise do, especially if you have a low tolerance and use high doses. Xanax is particularly notorious for this. Clonazepam also.