• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos XANAX and obtaining a prescription in Australia

xSio7

Greenlighter
Hey guys, long time reader first time poster.

I have had some anxiety since a friend of mine died 2 years ago, and even prior to that i had some panic attacks aswell.

I have amazing friends and support and i do not suffer from depression. I play sport alot, keep active and work a full-time job in which i love. All my issue is a random panic attack from time to time and anxiety.

A friend of mine who is prescribed xanax (2mg bars) gave me 10 and told me to take half or 1 full one depending how bad it is per day. Sometimes I would have half in the morning and smash out a work day extremely well and half at night to slow down my anxious thoughts for a good nights sleep. I loved the way it worked so quickly and didn't linger forever like the other benzos mentioned below.

Benzo background:
*I have previously tried clonozapam but that made me feel like i was drunk and lazy. I had tried valium but i felt all groggy the next day and it made my feel foggy kinda like clonozapam.*

For the last week on xanax i did just that, continued my job and sport and honestly did not have any anxiety or attacks. I performed so well at work and my sports. I felt like i was the person i should be. My mind was clear.

Now my issue is i would like to continue obtaining xanax legally without having to go through a friend as this would be inconsistent.

Would my best bet be going to see a doctor GP and explain all of this?
Tell him i have tried xanax and how well it worked for me and see if i could get a prescription or would they label me as a drug user?
I am in Perth, Australia.

Thanks guys!

welcome to bluelight. your friend over prescribed. 1 - 2mg is way too much per dose. .25 - .5mg is better. yeah 1 - 2mg feels great, but that’s a unnecessarily high dose for non-recreational use.

your doc/psych will want to try other drugs first because benzos are not seen as a sustainable method to addressing anxiety. some bluelighters would disagree, but i agree. xanax doesn’t work out long term.

welcome to bluelight. your friend over prescribed. 1 - 2mg is way too much per dose. .25 - .5mg is better. yeah 1 - 2mg feels great, but that’s a unnecessarily high dose for non-recreational use.

your doc/psych will want to try other drugs first because benzos are not seen as a sustainable method to addressing anxiety. some bluelighters would disagree, but i agree. xanax doesn’t work out long term.
Thanks for your reply.
Dose doesn't concern me too much although what i had did feel like it was perfect amount.

Thanks for your input

This. While IMO benzos may still have their place in the long-term treatment of severe recurring, treatment-resistant panic attacks, nowadays the goal will be to lower people's baseline anxiety using antidepressants/antipsychotics/gabapentinoids (as well as therapy!) in order to minimize if not outright eliminate the need for benzos (especially daily doses of benzos). They certainly shouldn't be used as a monotherapy in the treatment of mental health issues.

2 mg per day is way too high of a starting dose. Tolerance to benzos builds rapidly, so consequently, no psy-doc (let alone GP) worth their salt is going to script you that much that much. In many countries, 2 mg xanax bars aren't even available in the first place, because 2 mg of alprazolam is considered an excessively strong dose.

Going to a doctor (especially one who doesn't know you) and expecting a script for 2 mg of xanax for the occasional panic attack/insomnia (because it felt like the "perfect amount" when you were given them illegally) is like trying to score 80 mg Oxycontins for unspecified "back pain": A surefire way to get yourself seen as a drug-seeker, especially since the name xanax has effectively become synonymous with recreational benzodiazepine use.

Doctors in Australia are unlikely to readily prescribe Xanax because it's been made an S8 controlled drug, especially the 2mg bars.

Last edited:
It's nearly impossible to get a new script in Australia. Sorry, though probably for the best.