• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Xanax and High Benzo Tolerance

troop111

Greenlighter
Hi,

I have been prescribed benzos for anxiety/panic for the past 11 years. At one point, I was taking 6 mg of Ativan/day, and not feeling much from it. I switched to Valium and am currently at 12 mg/day. But it does nothing for me other than keep me out of withdrawal. Although come to think of it, I don't really have panic attacks anymore, but still have general anxiety, so maybe it's helping with that, but I don't overtly feel it. Given my mental health problems, my tolerance to benzos, and drugs in general, is very high. I can take 20 mg of Valium and not feel anything. Huge tolerance.

So, I have obtained some Xanax now, and sometimes I take that. I still take the 12 mg of Valium every day, but sometimes I actually want to feel a buzz so I will skip my Valium for that day and take 2.5 mg of Xanax but I don't feel anything from that either. I am trying to catch a buzz like how I did when I first started benzos in 2005. I only do this rarely, but thus far it has been a big disappointment.

1) Does my high tolerance to benzos make it less likely I will OD from them?

2) Given my huge tolerance, and that 2.5mg of Xanax does nothing for me, do I need to take like 4mg+ to catch a buzz?

Thank you in advance
smiley1.gif

troop

This is the issue with benzos. I went from getting buzzed off half a 0.25 mg to taking 3.5 mg a day just to keep off withdrawl. Some tolerance can develop but just because your brain becomes tolerant to the high doesnt mean the respiratory depression or ect will develop at the same rate or at all. The bigger issue is if you take 4 mg youll probaby get a buzz but then youll need . 4 mg a day and not really feel it and before you know it your in withdrawl out of pills having seizures.

I'm saying like once a month I'll want to skip my Valium dose for the day and try and alleviate how crappy I feel by getting a Xanax buzz. So it would be a very rare thing.

I don't want to OD though, that's my concern.

Your thoughts?

You're going to have to suffer the withdrawals and abstain so you can replenish your gaba receptors and your tolerance will lower. Otherwise you'll only increase your dosage just to get a diminished effect, risking more withdrawal for less reward.

I think your confusion is over valium and xanax. They both belong to a class of medications called benzodiazepines which bind to benzodiazepine receptors on gaba a receptors broadly increasing activity pretty nonselectively at gaba a1 a2 a3 a4 a5.

In other words valium and xanax are like keys and the way they are shaped is very similar so they both can fit into the receptors it was a lock.

So since to your brain valium and xanax are turning the same locks your brain would just react the same way. Therefore, switching from xanax to valium or valium to xanax would have no effect on reversing your tolerence because its not to one specific chemical its to all benzodiazepine keys spending too much time at the gaba a benzodiazepine site lock

Hi,

I have been prescribed benzos for anxiety/panic for the past 11 years. At one point, I was taking 6 mg of Ativan/day, and not feeling much from it. I switched to Valium and am currently at 12 mg/day. But it does nothing for me other than keep me out of withdrawal. Although come to think of it, I don't really have panic attacks anymore, but still have general anxiety, so maybe it's helping with that, but I don't overtly feel it. Given my mental health problems, my tolerance to benzos, and drugs in general, is very high. I can take 20 mg of Valium and not feel anything. Huge tolerance.

So, I have obtained some Xanax now, and sometimes I take that. I still take the 12 mg of Valium every day, but sometimes I actually want to feel a buzz so I will skip my Valium for that day and take 2.5 mg of Xanax but I don't feel anything from that either. I am trying to catch a buzz like how I did when I first started benzos in 2005. I only do this rarely, but thus far it has been a big disappointment.

1) Does my high tolerance to benzos make it less likely I will OD from them?

2) Given my huge tolerance, and that 2.5mg of Xanax does nothing for me, do I need to take like 4mg+ to catch a buzz?

Thank you in advance
smiley1.gif

troop
You just need to take like 10 mg Xanax and you be feeling good, I'm prescribed .5 Xanax a day but I normally take it all at once or split it into 2 days depending how much I've been taking. I buy bars, normally there always pressed but don't have feytnal in them. Well at least I don't think. I normally take at least 10 mg at a time normally aim for 15 mg rn I used to need at least 20 mg and would often take more, ( took 57mg one night) but I don't take them everyday maybe a couple times a week if that, but I only withdrawal of certain benzos, the RC ones that you can buy legally online. Tripple up in your Valium and you'll prolly feel it.

You just need to take like 10 mg Xanax and you be feeling good, I'm prescribed .5 Xanax a day but I normally take it all at once or split it into 2 days depending how much I've been taking. I buy bars, normally there always pressed but don't have feytnal in them. Well at least I don't think. I normally take at least 10 mg at a time normally aim for 15 mg rn I used to need at least 20 mg and would often take more, ( took 57mg one night) but I don't take them everyday maybe a couple times a week if that, but I only withdrawal of certain benzos, the RC ones that you can buy legally online. Tripple up in your Valium and you'll prolly feel it.

Yeah that's really bad advice. I guess unless the op wants to black out and do stupid and potentially dangerous shit.

And 57mgs is an obscene amount. This whole post seems fishy honestly. That someone would withdrawal from only certain benzos makes no sense. If you're physically addicted it's not going to matter which benzo it is.

Yeah, there's no such thing as a free lunch. My 45 year love affair with benzos has cost me, my loved ones and John Q Public dearly. I wish they and barbiturates were never invented, but I know that's selfish and ridiculous. I just wish I was wired like people who can and do use addictive drugs responsibly.

I'm embarrassed by the obscene amounts off benzos I've taken and gravitate towards when they're available.

If you want to enjoy your benzos recreationally you’d have to commit to periods of abstinence honestly.

If I take Val’s on the regular it’s only a couple weeks in and I’m already needing 30-40mg just to get to sleep. No buzz.
We build a tolerance for it insanely fast.

Yep. That sums it up. It's amazing how lab rate and mice, like us will tend to continually self administer though.

A lot of physicians here in Europe use Oxazepam meanwhile to taper off - should be a good equivalent to Diazepam, especially because of the half time.

Edit: but who is talking to you - even if not believable, I took 50 mg Clona and about 15 mg Flam. Still not even tired....

Last edited:
Yeah that's really bad advice. I guess unless the op wants to black out and do stupid and potentially dangerous shit.

And 57mgs is an obscene amount. This whole post seems fishy honestly. That someone would withdrawal from only certain benzos makes no sense. If you're physically addicted it's not going to matter which benzo it is.
I've taken 30 bars in 1 night

You wont OD it's near impossible ****

Nuttin ta worry bout

**** Don't spout this sort of stuff here. High doses of benzodiazepines are dangerous and easily result in fatal overdose when combined with other substances. The danger is particularly high when using street level pressed pills which often contain more dangerous benzos (like flubromazolam) or even fentanyl ****

- negro

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you go to jail or otherwise fuck shit up? lol
Welcome to bluelight. :) Hope you find it cozy.
Peace

Common, broham, please don't put shit like this out there... could be fatal for some. Right?
Nope...I had close to 100mg it was in pg solution and i fucked it up when pulling back the syringe and accidently pushed it way too hard.

But yeah I don't reccomment doses like this to the OP

I had close to 100mg
I get it. What is recreational for one may be fatal for another. I am not sure I know any benzo users/abusers that haven't another (or a few) other substances in their system when recreating.
Forgive if it appears that I err on the side of caution as to what is "safe" to dose to a world forum whatever the substance. From experience benzos can create some less than optimal side-effects... as noted: Jail, domestic issues, legal issues, trust issues or other destructive outcome of abusing the hell of of something.
There is a price to ride the tilt-a-whirl (for those who board). Just do yer research and try to be smart about it. Don't don excessive baggage unnecessarily as it tends to get heavier the older one gets. ;)
<3

I get it. What is recreational for one may be fatal for another. I am not sure I know any benzo users/abusers that haven't another (or a few) other substances in their system when recreating.
Forgive if it appears that I err on the side of caution as to what is "safe" to dose to a world forum whatever the substance. From experience benzos can create some less than optimal side-effects... as noted: Jail, domestic issues, legal issues, trust issues or other destructive outcome of abusing the hell of of something.
There is a price to ride the tilt-a-whirl (for those who board). Just do yer research and try to be smart about it. Don't don excessive baggage unnecessarily as it tends to get heavier the older one gets. ;)
<3
lol yeah ive done a lot of fucked up shit over the years cos of benzos