• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Xanax and cigarettes

Kpingod

Bluelighter
Hi, I’ve been buying xans lately, real ones in sealed bottles so no worry about fent. I’m trying to cut back on smoking to make them work longer and better. Would cutting back from like 30 smokes a day to say 5-10 have an appreciable effect on liver enzymes or do I need you to quit completely to see any benefit? Thanks and best regards

I was a heavy smoker for decades and also was on alprazolam (xanax) for these same decades. I see that there is some that say smoking and benzos do not mix well but personally I never experienced this.
Even to this day at very low dose benzos and low cig intake I do not notice an averse reaction or blocking of any effects.
Maybe if I totally quit cigs I may notice a dif... idk.
Just my experience
Peace

Xanax is metabolized by CYP3a4

Tobacco induces enzymes CYP1a2 and CYP2b6, and long term/heavy smoking inhibits CYP3a1 and has been speculated to also inhibit CYP3a4

Inhibition of CYP3a4 would actually lead to increased effectiveness and duration of the xanax, it wouldn't reduce it.

Although, to answer your question regardless of xanax, maximum liver induction by tobacco has been shown to occur at 12 cigs per day. I am unsure how much tobacco it takes to maximally inhibit CYP3a4, but likely a similar amount.

But again, if anything tobacco should lead to an increase in xanax effects, not reduce them. It's likely a small or negligible effect, though.

I do encourage you to reduce your smoking, anyways :)

I do encourage you to reduce your smoking, anyways :)
Good choice;)
So as a heavy smoker and with experience withdrawing from Xanax couple times, I noticed that cigs are making anxiety worse as they raise BP, First two or three days I couldn't smoke but then again in that period I can't think.
So I guess you buyin alprazolam for anxiety or recreational? and like Snafu said and I agree 30cigs are just to much, but xanax is to powerfull benzo to be overpowered by nicotine.
I remember that I red somewhere on web some time ago that cigs are interfere with diazepam and oxazepam, but that was just someone opinion cause when you take like 1-3mg alprazolam or 20-40mg diazepam couple cigarettes in my personal experience just do nothing ln terms of diminishing the effect of benzos.
But 30 cigs always made me feel like an ashtray.
And I do encourage you maybe to not use benzos!
and cigs also but that would be a hypocrisy
Stay safe

withdrawing from Xanax couple times, I noticed that cigs are making anxiety worse as they raise BP, First two or three days I couldn't smoke
i didnt want anything wd-ing from benzos. no cigs, no weed, no coffee nothing that would/could have any impact on my nervous system.
benzo.wd just sucks ass, imo/e. nothing like it. scared of it now and am very careful to not abuse them these days.
we either learn from past experiences or we dont and rinse/repeat.
peace yall

i didnt want anything wd-ing from benzos. no cigs, no weed, no coffee nothing that would/could have any impact on my nervous system.
benzo.wd just sucks ass, imo/e. nothing like it. scared of it now and am very careful to not abuse them these days.
we either learn from past experiences or we dont and rinse/repeat.
peace yall
I already wrote about this in another thread, about whether benzodiazepine dangers were overblown or justified.
I was doing benzos twice (both times prescribed). First time I was young and ignorant about the addiction potential. Got 1-3mg/d lorazepam over the course of 3.5 months, then cold turkey by another doc. Followed by a period of tension and panic attacks, which slowly subsided over the course of the next few months.

Other time was recently, around the same dose, alpra XR and lorazepam, together with methadone, alcohol and deschloroketamine. Now I didn't get the slightest withdrawal from these benzos even when I was using them quite intensely over a few months, same with the alcohol, could just stop without getting any symptoms. I wonder whether the deschloroketamine prevented tolerance and whether this could be used in a similar fashion as it's for opioids.

seems like ct alprazolam (up to 8mg day) took months maybe years and think i still feel some "aftershocks" once in a while.