• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Xanax and alcohol

Skidmuffin

Greenlighter
hey im new here. I get a perscription for 1mg xanax but my doctor has been decreasing my dosage. I usually smoke a joint to intensify the xanax but I have a very high xanax tolerance i can easily take 4 or 5 bars and remeber everything the next day. My tolerance will go up quick within days like 2 bars then within a few days i need 4 for the same effect. Point is I wana try drinking a beer only two to increase the effect I havent been getting that nice relaxing feeling from the xanax alone anymore im not sure why. I have 0 tolerance to alcohol as I dont drink at all. Can someone explain the effects of the combo and if this will get me to that spaced out euphoria im looking for again?

Could i take like 1 or 2 mg of xanax with a few beers and get satisfying results with my tolerance?

Also I've been thinking of switching to ativan as wheneber I end up in detox and they give me ativan i get very relaxed for some reason xanax just doesn't cut it anymore maybe its a genetic thing ativan just works better for me possibly? Anyone have experience on that either?

I know the dangers I've been on methadone 4 years done every drug in the book dont lecture me i just want experiences and feedback. Thanks!

As you stated, it's generally ill-advised to be mixing benzos and alcohol together. Also, benzos are a poor choice of treatment for anxiety in the long term, the rebound effects are bad. HR dictates I tell you that.

With that said, a couple beers will most definitely potentiate whatever benzo you are taking. I used to mix valium and high-strength beers from time to time, but just a couple beers, otherwise you will be on the train to blackout city (scary part is you'll be walking and talking but have total amnesia of that time). I found the effects to be mostly: a deeper relaxation, elimination of anxiety and greater reduction of inhibitions.

Good luck and play safe.

@TheLoveBandit

I and many other members previously said we need a FAQ with basic drug answers so we avoid rumination/repetition. It depends on your BMI( BODY MASS INDEX ) and brain chemistry, as you maybe are aware of that. You can black out and die because they're both anti depressants and so they will boil your nerves system like chicken soup.

You will stutter, my advice is to take 1 and if you want to take another one be careful because it's gonna hug you like a train. Don't drive -- in one word > don't go past of no return.

My #1 golden rule is to NEVER EVER mix benzos with alcohol. It always ends up in blackout and turmoil.

@TheLoveBandit

You can black out and die because they're both anti depressants and so they will boil your nerves system like chicken soup.

They are not anti-depressants. This is maybe the 10th time I've seen you write something wrong. Stop talking bullshit Shady, keep it to the lounge.

Edit: May be used for depression off label, still not a typical anti-depressant.

Last edited:
They are not anti-depressants. This is maybe the 10th time I've seen you write something wrong. Stop talking bullshit Shady, keep it to the lounge.

Get out with these 16yr jokes. You're on BL, not on the corner.

Get out with these 16yr jokes. You're on BL, not on the corner.

Alright, I stand corrected. Though, it does not function like an SSRI or other typical anti-depressant and is only used off-label. It is a benzo and functions primarily on the Gaba receptors.

I used to take benzos and alcohol quite frequently together, but I never had much of a problem moderating my alcohol consumption, even when on benzos. I'd have my xanax or valium or whatever, and an hour later drink 1 or 2 gin and tonics or two cans of beer and go to bed without much of a problem. I don't see binge drinking and benzo abuse going well together at all. I know plenty of people who can not moderate their drinking, and it's those who should stay away from combining benzos and alcohol.