• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax and Adderall

carkatz

Bluelighter
So I am prescribed adderall 30 mg 2-3x a day (have a script for #45 cause sometimes i take it three times a day for night class i have 2 times a night) and valium 10 mg 2x a day as well. now i won't get into it much but I Guess my body chemistry or whatever just lucked out bc between 2 mg of xanax/ativan and 10 mg of valium to this day (all the benzos i've been prescribed last four years) i haven't needed to raise my dose once. I remeber when I Took valium 10 mg for the first for example time I still actually FEEL the effects hitting me same as years ago. as well as I can somehow stop taking it cold turkey for weeks and no withdrawal (even the times when I was on the short acting ones for months on end)

anyway-- on top of my monthly scripts, last week i got prescribed like #10 xanax 2 mg only a one time prescription just for PRN for panic attacks that have been worse lately. I"ve taken bezos and addy all at the same time with no issue as I do most days (again I know everyone is different and beznos aren't amazing for long term but thats just it everyones different and my body chem/and non addictive personality i'm able to handle it and not get physically or emotionally dependent for like I've said i've stopped cold turkey for weeks many times and its been four years. I just want to reiterate that so through i know it would be with good intention I would prefer not to get into its bad long term , etc. (I'm also on zoloft so i understand its not the first choice for anxiety)

so today instead of my daily valium valium I took my 2 mg of xanax for the first time since i go this script with my addderall. i've taken 2 mg of xanax in the past and know what it feels like. for some reason today I Got really sedated and just physically fuzzy when i took it similar to an ativan/valium feeling on a high doses (for i know those are the more sedating benzos) whereas xanax I usually don't feel tired or sedated, --i didn't even really mentally feel it so much if the makes sense like i could think completely clearly I Jus felt it VERY much physically and it was obviously hitting me more than anything and kicked in but again in a different way..to top it off it overpowered any effect of adderall which has never happened before.. last time I Took 2 mg of xanax was about 2 months ago. i actually even took it with my valium and addy in the morning and didn't feel sedated or like I felt today at all. rather i felt more sociable with lessened anxiety (again that was even with valium) which I assume is what the point is for xanax. when needed. I personally don't misuse my meds or look for rec/eurphoria but I Definitely will say In the past with xanax or any benzo thats not my daily 10 mg of valium I do get that a feeling a bit.

like i mentioned i just felt heavily heavily sedated today for about two hours and zero effects of adderlal?? it was almost like I took too much of a benzo but what doesn't make since was it lasted only about an hour ( the xanax effects) whereas normally it would at least linger for a couple hours but left me feeling so fatigued after it wore off but when it was there again no mental anxiety relief or even less inhibited (not in a reckless way) however it felt like I took 0010101010 mg of some sleeping pill or some sedative it was so so so weird. and xanax never is the type to make me feel it like that. i also find this recently when I take PRN meds for panic attacks like an ativan or xanax even small doses I Feel it so so so so solo heavily but not cognitively. i;d like to add it took forever to kick in where in the past a xanax would take 10 mins to kick in and It'd definitely last longer. its so strange. the xanax at this point wore off completely I'm starting to feel a little more stimulated but so fatigued and tired (Not from the xanax at this point)but idk. I hope I'm taking sense if not its because I'm simultaneously writing an essay and prob am being wordy and repeating myself. any ideas what this could be? again when I've taken doses like this in the past I felt it much less physically and more in the mind. its obviously not a tolerance issue, bc if anything it felt like my tolerance was lowered but can benzos effect you differently over time? idk!!!btw I just want to make it clear if there are typos or i am wordy I'm just multi tasking nothing to do with meds :) any help would be great!! overall q's can bentos effect you in a different way overtime (i'm not talking needing to raise dosage in fact it felt like I Took too much which idk why) as well as the zero effects of adderall....shoulld I take my 3rd dose of adderall or not worth it?? and why do i feel like benzos only effect me physically now HEAVILY i'd like to add so again not a tolerance issue.

SUMMARY**** EDIT If you don't wanna read the whole thing my question is can the effects of benzos feel different over time?? not in the sense that you need to raise the dosage but in the sense that a yer ago 2 mg of xanax or ativan for example would make me feel cognitively less anxious, where as today 2 mg of xanaax made me so so so heavily sedated however cognitively rarely did much for my anxiety and canceled out all adder all effects. so clearly its not tolerance.

Last edited:
Well, is it possible to feel cognitively less anxious? I guess that could be a form of like test anxiety, which is a serious specific thing, so it's important to clarify.

Here, I'll make a table, since I've been doing a lot of those lately:

Before . . . . . Now
Anxiety

Sedation
LoweredStill high
LowHigh

OK, not pretty, but it gets the idea across?

Mabye you should look in to some l-tyrosine and l-tryptofaan to get these dopamine and serotonine levels back up? It helps me a ton if I have those two (they're always empty)

If i'm on amphetamine everyday without taking l-tyrosine with it to get my dopamine levels up benzo's work far more sedating and the benzo + amph combo isnt fun at all anymore. I also get less anxious when i'm taking these supplements. Something to try for sure!

You say you've been on benzos for 4 years with no tolerance. You say you're not getting the desired effect...

You have a tolerance.

It could be anything from what you are to how much you slept. I'm sure you have a tolerance but it wouldn't change suddenly.

SUMMARY**** EDIT If you don't wanna read the whole thing my question is can the effects of benzos feel different over time?? not in the sense that you need to raise the dosage but in the sense that a yer ago 2 mg of xanax or ativan for example would make me feel cognitively less anxious, where as today 2 mg of xanaax made me so so so heavily sedated however cognitively rarely did much for my anxiety and canceled out all adder all effects. so clearly its not tolerance.

I'd say the effects of any drug can change with long-term use. I can compare the feeling that alcohol gave me back in my early twenties, to what it felt like at the height of raging alcoholism, to what it feels like now, after a year of not a single drunk. Very different experiences, very different sensation from the same chemical.

Your brain adapts to its new drugged state, and tries to slide back to some equilibrium. So over time, the "feeling" that the drug gave you will slowly shift. That is different than tolerance, because it doesn't need any increased dosage--it doesn't even need to be regular, daily dosing. All it takes is a familiarity with the effects to make the experience less novel, even boring.

So where once you got "relief from anxiety," or IOW, "high," now you just get sleepy. That's what happens. There's nothing you can do about it either, since even after a long break, you still remember what it feels like. That first hit of anything after a long-break is usually a bit disappointing, because you've been there before, and know the place pretty well.

Best bet is to switch to a different gabaergic drug, or a different class of benzo.

I'd say the effects of any drug can change with long-term use. I can compare the feeling that alcohol gave me back in my early twenties, to what it felt like at the height of raging alcoholism, to what it feels like now, after a year of not a single drunk. Very different experiences, very different sensation from the same chemical.

Your brain adapts to its new drugged state, and tries to slide back to some equilibrium. So over time, the "feeling" that the drug gave you will slowly shift. That is different than tolerance, because it doesn't need any increased dosage--it doesn't even need to be regular, daily dosing. All it takes is a familiarity with the effects to make the experience less novel, even boring.

So where once you got "relief from anxiety," or IOW, "high," now you just get sleepy. That's what happens. There's nothing you can do about it either, since even after a long break, you still remember what it feels like. That first hit of anything after a long-break is usually a bit disappointing, because you've been there before, and know the place pretty well.

Best bet is to switch to a different gabaergic drug, or a different class of benzo.

^ One of the truest statements about drug use I have ever heard. The honeymoon stage of drug use only lasts so long. It goes from exciting and new to a coping mechanism or way of life and you don?t even realize it. Before you know it, you?re taking the drug like it?s an antibiotic and you?re trying to cure a nasty infection. No excitement, just fixing a problem.