• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Xanax (alprazolam?) prescribed for the first time

Achten

Bluelighter
I had actually posted this in Mental Health but got no responses so I try here.

This is not for me, but for a friend, really ,?

You don't need to believe me to give a helpful comment.

So my friend is prescribed xanax (alprazolam, i believe) because of his fucked up situation. Dad dying of brain cancer with max a few months to live and, maybe more importantly, his dad's new partner (not my friend's mom) that is extremely intense about the situation. The whole town offers support but they push everyone away with negative vibes. I'm talking agressive shouting and not talking to people who have the best interest in them. Without giving too many details, i think she has mental problems but she thinks everyone else has a problem. In short, fucked up family dynamics. Anyway, can't blame my friend (age 32) for needing medicinal help.

But the doctor apparently didn't mention anything about mixing with alcohol and driving.

I think he has been on it for at least 3weeks, every morning 0,5mg and most afternoons as well. He tried to go a day without but couldn't handle it.

My questions:

- How bad is mixing with alcohol? I'm talking little to moderate drinking few times a week, and heavily boozing once a week.
- is it possible his personality is changing? He seems extremely "laidback" about the situation now (but i know, and he tells me, he isn't).
- will (and if yes, when) he need to increase his dose to get the same effect?
- he is going to get the full load of emotions when he comes off it, right?

Thank you kindly for reading !

1. Mixing alcohol increases the chances of blackouts and eventually death. Best to avoid this combo entirely.
2. I don't think his personality is changing, just his response to the stressful situation
3. If he uses his medication responsibly he may not have to increase his dose- kinda depends on the person/ reasons for taking it etc
4. Yeah those raw emotions will be there unless he gets some therapy, or seeks out some mindfulness meditation or something along those lines.
Post Script: I feel for your friend, I lost my dad when I was 16 to skin cancer, and it was TOUGH! The good news is it does get easier as time goes on. Word of warning: chemicals are great short term solutions to dealing with shitty situations etc, but they can also prolong the grief process. Take care of him and be there for him to talk to etc.

Obviously I don't know your friend or his medical history or the full extent of his life circumstances, and I don't like to contradict medical advice, BUT I really feel that to prescribe Xanax (or really any sedative) in response to a set of stressful life circumstances (even particularly stressful ones), just, surely, cannot be a good idea and sounds pretty irresponsible on the part of the prescriber.

Xanax is the first and so far only substance I ever flushed and I wasn't even a problem user by almost any metric, I just began to feel that it was causing negative changes in my outlook even with only very occasional use. I am not particularly experienced with benzodiazepines so take anything I say with a grain of salt and I don't know if it is something about the thienobenzodiazepines or just Alprazolam, but I think there is just something psychiatrically harmful about this substance... The anxiolytic effects just penetrate too deeply to the point that you can't even maintain a proper awareness of the fact that you are altered and I think this kind of effect is rarely ever a good thing.

I think there is at least one study that also suggests that Xanax prescriptions in the vast majority of cases have counterproductive effects longterm. I have nothing against medicinal/chemical crutches when needed, but I think there are far more psychologically forgiving options out there than Alprazolam, which will do nothing whatsoever to help your friend actually deal with these life stresses in a healthy way. If he does start to feel like he needs to increase the dose then he will already have taken the first steps on a dangerous road.

Mixing alcohol with xanax which is a benzodiazapene that works on the GABA receptors can be dangerous, but it depends on the dosing. From my experience it is always better to choose alcohol or xanax because both of them together can cause some people to have blackouts. Personality change is completely normal on Xanax because it blocks the receptors that are primarily responsible for the fight or flight response that we naturally have, so when this is taken away you tend to be a lot more calm in difficult situations. This medication is commonly used to treat panic and extreme trauma but medicine is now showing it is best if this is only used as a short-term solution. The reason is, they are highly addictive, and if taken too long, once coming off you can actually begin to panic more. If you increase the dose, you will more than likely experience more of a euphoric feeling; but, with alcohol this will make a blackout much more likely, and yes you will be extremely emotional when coming off. It is best to taper off of a benzo with another type. The most common one used is valium because this will prevent you from having a seizure.

Thanks for the replies everyone! What you're saying definetly resonates with me. I just felt I needed to hear it from other people as well. I also didn't think it was a good idea and even told him, but he's saying "for now" it's the best option. I hope he can switch treatment fast and easy.

Combining alprazolam and alcohol covers both the A and B of GABA neurotransmission, in addition to the benzodiazepine receptor site and all of the other dirty goings-on with ethanol's mechanisms. With small doses of both, your friend will find a euphoria not associated with either substance alone. This can become addictive. Your description of "heavy boozing" is problematic in the midst of a Xanax regimen, as others have mentioned. Most overdose-related deaths that you hear about were brought on by a combination use of sedatives (i.e. opiates and/or alcohol and/or benzos.)

If there is a chance of increased alcohol consumption within a 24/48 hour period of Xanax dosing, then skip the Xanax.