• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Writing

Selfless

Greenlighter
Hello, other side of bluelight. I've been rather down since being clean, and decided to finally climb out of my hole and take steps to better myself. I've always known writing is therapeutic but never stuck with it.

I'd like to know those that do write, without going into anything personal, what do you write about? Is it your feelings, goals, perhaps appreciation lists? In particular I wanted to know if there were any specific exercises you guys recommend that helped you understand yourself / your feelings more or helped you feel better mentally / motivated? Do you write every day or just when you're feeling emotional? Did you find it helped you?

I'm really interested to hear your answers. Originally I only posted on Bluelight when I had a question about using drugs. You guys are definitely the most down to earth, mature, and relatable people as far as "drug related forums" go. I've even familiarized myself with some users on here over the years. Sometimes when I read an old post from someone talking about getting off something or the like, I will browse his history briefly and see how he is doing (hopefully not weird), because you guys seem human and not distant cyber web entities. Point being I intent to be more active particularly in this section of the website, so hello :) .

I keep a journal. I mostly write about things that happen throughout my day and how I feel about them. It is very helpful because I can go back and reread things that I have written during active use, during withdrawal, and now that I am clean.

I also write children's stories for my son. I don't even know if his mother lets him have them, but it gives me an enormous sense of wellbeing.

I wrote a new adult novel after I quit drugs. I say, write whatever the hell you feel like writing. Thankfully there aren't any rules. My notebooks and journals are a mess of random paragraphs followed by novel chapters followed by doodles followed by quotes and nonsensical sentences.
Idk, it was just very relaxing to allow myself to write whatever I wanted whenever and wherever I wanted. Doing that led to my first book. :)

Hahahaha what a fuckin' first post BryanTerry. Dummy.. but y'know I also order my journal entries from a service called https://madman-journals.com/my-life-written-by-BryanTerry who sources their work from pro-papers. I got a kick in the Ass rather than the Butt from my last snoopy fucker reading my journals so thats a better grade.

I actually do journal pen and paper quite a bit. Some of it is very factual accounts of my day. Some of it is more about about how I'm feeling about something, usually pretty painful stuff. Sometimes it's more or less a research article, like there was a time I was learning about transitioning as a transgendered person and all that entails because my old roommate was (is) going through the process. Sometimes I draw, which is mostly garbage and bullshit dark imagery including satanic symbolism and all that lame angsty stuff. Sometimes I write up these little fictions that really are only for me, because I'm honestly just fucking crazy how I operate in my head and the stuff I write about I'd rather keep as mine alone.

One example of the little fictions I'll give up is a story about a writer (with a lighter) who was submitting a draft of a chapter to his publisher, who was up in arms about the change of pace in the story from a coming of age novel about conquering adversity timeskipping to a story about being "stuck down a stem in a bowl with a hole up top, forever and ever; feeding only on the scraps which his master drops in so pitifully however.. it's shards of glass, it's inedible, inevitable I'm cut up inside" or something along the lines. It was some weird bit written in a meth psychosis written when, and about a time when I was staying at some dealers place in March who wanted to control my life basically.. that was the arrangement was I was gonna be retooled he'd help me sort my shit out... guy told me to start hooking myself out sooner than later.

What a nice life I've had this year. I suppose that was actually non-fiction too in a way. When I was a bit younger I had some really good healthy periods of my life with chances to have had a good life. Now I'm stuck in the glass enslaved. t's not all bad, some of my life's going really well. I'm just a common junkie..

I suppose my regular posts on BL is an exercise in writing. This is probably the most therapeutic writing that I do, because it's communicative with others back and forth on a very personal level in where I'm at in my life, my mentality.

Ideally, I would like to sit down once every day at a specific time, preferably early in the morning, and write.

Such, however, is far from being the case. What I do is I spill my overall thoughts and feelings out. Writing is therapeutic but keeping at it is key. I live amongst the intellectually bankrupt, so I get sucked into their structure of reality very easily, but if you are at a spot where there is no distractions and one can be relatively anxiety free then get a writing buddy if you are not able to cope.