• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Wrigley pulls Alert caffeinated gum

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Wrigley will pull a caffeinated gum on the heels of an investigation announcement by the Food and Drug Administration, the company said Wednesday.

Casey Keller, Wrigley's North American president said in a statement that the Chicago-based gum giant has "paused production, sales and marketing of Alert," a caffeinated product launched just last month, in an effort to "give the FDA time to develop a new regulatory framework for the addition of caffeine to food and drinks.

Last week, the FDA announced an investigation into what effect additional caffeine consumption may have on children.

"After discussions with the FDA, we have a greater appreciation for its concern about the proliferation of caffeine in the nation’s food supply," Keller said. "There is a need for changes in the regulatory framework to better guide the consumers and the industry about the appropriate level and use of caffeinated products."

The world's largest gum manufacturer has underscored that Alert exceeds all guidelines for disclosure and that consumers wouldn't be buying the product by mistake. Alert was merchandised away from gum and candy, alongside products including 5-Hour Energy Shots.

Aimed at consumers age 25-49, Alert also carried a higher price tag, $2.99 for an 8-piece package, compared with $1.19 to $1.49 for a 15-piece pack of Extra, Orbit or 5.

cont at
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-wrigley-caffeinated-gum-20130508,0,4642842.story

dont know how i feel about this i mean i scream for regulation but i also scream for caffeine:|

I am enjoying my caffeinated gum today, since I didn't sleep much last night and have to function.
I drank coffee already, but it wasn't strong enough, so here I am...
(Glad to have it available!)