• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Would you rather be seen as smart OR sexy?

BeckyLee

Bluelighter
This question was asked on the TV show "The View" a while back, so I am primarily wondering what women have to say. BUT I am also curious what men have to say!

I'd rather be seen as sexy, simply because I KNOW I'm smart.

Okay, since no one has posted the obvious counterpoint, I'll bite.

I would rather be known as smart instead of sexy because I know sexiness is something that can be worked on, and intelligence level is something that will never change!

Both arguments ARE perfectly valid, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Smart or sexy? Well, I honestly don't care how people "see" me. I don't need to be just seen as one attribute by people and if that's the case, then I don't care what that person thinks about me. Honestly I don't care what anyone thinks about me. I am me and will always be me. I am not one generalisation.

Smart or sexy? Well, I honestly don't care how people "see" me. I don't need to be just seen as one attribute by people and if that's the case, then I don't care what that person thinks about me. Honestly I don't care what anyone thinks about me. I am me and will always be me. I am not one generalisation.

xstayfadedx I admire your position also; in fact I entirely agree with you. In a perfect world I think everyone does. However, women are judged in a different way than men are, especially in the era of, say, "Mad Men."

Therefore, imagining that frame of mind, the question was asked.

xstayfadedx I admire your position also; in fact I entirely agree with you. In a perfect world I think everyone does. However, women are judged in a different way than men are, especially in the era of, say, "Mad Men."

Therefore, imagining that frame of mind, the question was asked.

Thank you, and yes I do understand where you're coming from as to why you asked this. Sadly, we all know. However, does that mean we should accept it? The answer is no. If we keep accepting this state of mind, then things will never change. So even though I know people will forever judge me... I'm still not going to accept their generalisations about me. Its not going to be something I think about when looking in the mirror before I head out. Yes, there are some days, but I just remind myself what I said above. If only every woman and girl would do the same.

Thank you, and yes I do understand where you're coming from as to why you asked this. Sadly, we all know. However, does that mean we should accept it? The answer is no. If we keep accepting this state of mind, then things will never change. So even though I know people will forever judge me... I'm still not going to accept their generalisations about me. Its not going to be something I think about when looking in the mirror before I head out. Yes, there are some days, but I just remind myself what I said above. If only every woman and girl would do the same.
:D *claps*

I'm both so my answer is this: my attractiveness is for no use if no one can see it whereas my smartness holds its own worth.

sexy

sexiness is nothing more than being seen as sexy, whereas being seen as smart is no substitute for actually being smart.

So I'll go with sexy.

It's hard to imagine not being both (sorry, I'm not conceited, just factual).
So it's kind of like, what would I rather give up.
I'd probably give up having people see me as sexy. Why? Because I can get jobs from people thinking I'm smart. If people didn't think I was smart, I'd never get a good job. Or be able to maintain a job. Or be able to have much responsibility in a job. Being seen as sexy is nice and all, but what does it REALLY do besides maybe raise your self esteem? Also you get hit on by guys (or girls) more often? I feel like people viewing me as smart is more important. And not being viewed as sexy would impact my life less than not being seen as smart.

Seeing as how everyone already thinks I'm smart, and I don't get squat for it in terms of benefits, I'd much rather be seen as sexy.

Plus if people see me as smart, then they want me to help them figure out their problems...What's in it for me? Whereas if I'm sexy all they want to do is have sex with me. So the benefits of being seen as sexy are really quite clear.

Anyway, the grass is always greener.

Smart.

You can get surgery to be sexy, but you can't fix stupid!

I would rather be smart. then with my intelligence I will become a doctor, open up a cosmetic surgery clinic so that my colleagues could make me artificially sexy ;)

edit: I look like a fool now, the poster above me already thought of the surgery route

Smart.

You can get surgery to be sexy, but you can't fix stupid!

:) Or you can develop confidence in yourself so that you don't need to treat your body as a commodity in a disposable society.

(That's not an indictment of those who have had cosmetic surgery.)

I don't think people really need to choose between smart/sexy. I value both. People have reasons for wanting to modify their bodies. So long as it's a choice rather than a consequence of coercive tactics, go for it?

I wouldn't willingly undergo an operation to raise my IQ. In answer to the question, I will keep my gray matter the way it is.

If they had a fool proof operation to raise your IQ, you wouldn't be the least bit curious to see how much more brain activity you are capable of?

I know I would.

Well I will start out by saying I am a man, and I have seen many clips from the view on youtube for example pineapple express interviews, and it makes me uncomfortable how they sit in a semi circle around the person or people. Where am i supposed to look, i dont get it.

Anyway, I would rather be seen as smart because i dont know why. For example, after several orgasms everyone will be bored. That sounds crass so let me elaborate because i am intoxicated.

I am more attracted to women who entertain my mind rather than just look good. Both are nice, but Id like to be challenged mentally. It irritates me when chicks who think they are "hot" are dismissive to women who I think are more fun than them. I will edit this if that was rude.

I am both. So, I don't really understand the problem. To me, a more relevant question would be, "How would you cope if you were not smart and sexy?"

I know that I should display a little more modesty here, but sometimes you cannot avoid telling the truth, even if it makes those with not such a splendid selection of genes and lifestyle a little jealous.

I am both but I prefer to be seen as highly intelligent which I am. I do not like being seen as a sex object/sex symbol, etc.

Well I will start out by saying I am a man, and I have seen many clips from the view on youtube for example pineapple express interviews, and it makes me uncomfortable how they sit in a semi circle around the person or people. Where am i supposed to look, i dont get it.

Anyway, I would rather be seen as smart because i dont know why. For example, after several orgasms everyone will be bored. That sounds crass so let me elaborate because i am intoxicated.

I am more attracted to women who entertain my mind rather than just look good. Both are nice, but Id like to be challenged mentally. It irritates me when chicks who think they are "hot" are dismissive to women who I think are more fun than them. I will edit this if that was rude.

I feel you, on both of your points. I used to watch "The View" with my (now) 93-year-old nonna when I was growing up, so I have a soft spot for it.

Smart women have a knack for holding my attention also, and also seem a lot rarer in the general population (although I suppose that applies to men as well, maybe?).

Anyways, two celebrities had been asked the question, and were used as anecdotal evidence on the show. I forget which (gorgeous) celebrity said she'd rather be seen as smart, but I do remember Jennifer Lopez said she'd rather be viewed as sexy.