• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Would tramadol be a viable option for suppressing oxycodone withdrawals?

pocketsevens

Bluelighter
Has anyone out there used Tramadol when they were coming off of oxy or other opioids? If so, did it work at suppressing your withdrawal symptoms? I'm thinking that I could use it sort of like methadone and taper down slowly so I don't ever have to fully withdraw. Since it doesn't get you high (well, at least not how oxy does) I would be able to taper down on my own without temptations. I reeeally hope this could work because I don't think I can handle another round of withdrawals. :( Thanks everyone, can't wait to hear what you have to say!

Of course Tramadol helps because it is a synthetic opioid. But then you have to withdraw from Tramadol which has nasty SNRI withdrawl symptoms included.

But since it is much less potent and has a longer half-life it could be worth a try. Just be aware that you trade your addiction for another one and that the SNRI effects from Tramadol can cause pretty nasty depression on their own when you quit.

When I was coming off ~200 mg oxy a day... no not at all... it all depends on what you are taking.

Also, if you had a large-largeish oxy habit, you can't dose tramadol highly without some really nasty side effects. Even to begin & then taper.

I guess it depends, what dose of oxy have you been taking & for how long? 200mg Tram might help you out if you were taking say, 60-90mgs of oxy daily, but beyond that I think the reality of serotonin syndrome could be a possibility if you were to double or triple that.

Rtp

Also, if you had a large-largeish oxy habit, you can't dose tramadol highly without some really nasty side effects. Even to begin & then taper.

I guess it depends, what dose of oxy have you been taking & for how long? 200mg Tram might help you out if you were taking say, 60-90mgs of oxy daily, but beyond that I think the reality of serotonin syndrome could be a possibility if you were to double or triple that.

Rtp

Like seizures.

I imagine it's better than nothing, but it's still gonna suck. Tramadol has a stimulant effect on me that other opiates don't, so that could aggravate your restlessness/insomnia/anxiety if you react similarly.

Just make sure not to replace one addiction with another. Use the tramadol to really step down. Make a taper plan and be prepared to cut yourself off on a specific date.

Codeine could be a helpful alternative to tram.

You'd be unlikely to form a new habit after stepping down from oxy as the ceiling would prevent any high, just be sure to CWE.

I've used 4-600mgs when in acute oxy withdrawl, from a monster sized habit, & this has me feeling much more comfortable. Though be prepared for itching like a mofo, have an antihistamine around.

Rtp

I imagine it's better than nothing, but it's still gonna suck. Tramadol has a stimulant effect on me that other opiates don't, so that could aggravate your restlessness/insomnia/anxiety if you react similarly.

Just make sure not to replace one addiction with another. Use the tramadol to really step down. Make a taper plan and be prepared to cut yourself off on a specific date.

This pretty much.
To the people saying it does not help with high dose addictions: It would still lessen the WD-symptoms even if just by a little bit and would give a slight mood boost/energy from the SNRI effect.

I used to love Trams but over the years and being used to low dose Bupe it does not do much anymore. But it definitely keeps all withdrawls away. And gives me a hangover (again SNRI).